Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith1

Soft Rock

Post by Tunesmith1 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:35 am

Hi Everyone,
I'd really appreciate any help on whether it's worth submitting this song:
https://soundcloud.com/matthewgough-1/m ... er/s-B31zh
to this listing:
Lots of SOFT ROCK SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by an extremely busy Music Licensing Company that’s expanding the catalog they routinely present to the Music Supervisors of several Daytime TV Series!

They’re looking for lots of Songs in ALL Tempos that could be found on playlists with acts like Lifehouse, Matt Nathanson, Edwin McCain, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references (we got from them) to get in the general stylistic wheelhouse of what they need:

“You And Me” by Lifehouse

“Come On Get Higher” by Matt Nathanson

“I'll Be” by Edwin McCain

Please submit Soft Rock Songs that have solid musicianship, authentic-sounding Rock band instrumentation, great lyrics, and compelling choruses that bring it all home. Having great, honest vocal performanceS with touching deliveries could help you a lot with this request. Contemporary Songs or old-school-leaning material can both work for this request. If submitting older recordings, don't go back too far – they're NOT interested in '70s or '80s Yacht Rock/Easy Listening-style Songs. Keep it between the late 1990s to early 2000s!

Although they didn’t specify any lyric themes, lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and profanity are recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. This Music Library splits ALL sync fees 50/50 with you. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please do not send material for this pitch that is already signed to other libraries or catalogs. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Tuesday, February 4th, 2020. TAXI # S200204SR
TAXI # S200204SR

Thanks so much, Matt

LongBlackNight
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Soft Rock

Post by LongBlackNight » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Hey Matt, here's my take on areas for improvement.

The song sounds a bit ponderous. Some contrast between the verses and choruses is needed, as well as a bridge. The tempo might be dragging a bit, too. Your song clocks in at 4:20, which is 13 seconds more than the longest ref. The other two refs are much tighter at 3:30 and 3:10 (for Lifehouse, subtracting the video lead-in). Get your time down to these levels.

Sonically, the rhythm guitar is too bright and overpowering. Bringing it down or mellowing it out, and possibly changing it up from time to time, would go a ways to adding life to the song. It just doesn't sit with the vocals. The vocals, themselves, while they have decent tonal quality, are pitchy. Perhaps Melodyne would help here.

Finally, I would either ditch the strings or get a real cellist/violinist. They sound quite stiff and loudly announce, "MIDI was here."

I hope you accept this as a panoply of areas for improvement rather than a litany of shortcomings.

Best of luck with your recording adventures!

jp

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Soft Rock

Post by AlanHall » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:16 pm

I'll second the comment on the acoustic guitar. It is pretty far up in the mix, compressed? It sounds 'angsty' to me. I'd expect a softer, gentler guitar line to accompany the particular lyric refrain.