Solo Banjo - how's the EQ & Sound quality?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Solo Banjo - how's the EQ & Sound quality?

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:12 am

I put a tune together for the solo banjo opportunity. I've recorded banjo plenty in the past few years, but never as a solo instrument. I can't believe how much my instrument creaks and squeaks when there's nothing to cover it up... sigh... And usually it's a pure background instrument for color that is buried in the mix, as I'm just not all that competent on the thing.

Anyway, how does the sound come across? This is a finicky instrument to dial in a good EQ on. Is it abrasive to the ears? Do the room sounds distract from the piece (squeaks, inhalations, etc)? I can't co anything more with the playing, as this is where my skill level maxes out. And unfortunately, I can't do the claw-hammer thing that the listing specifically asked for. Maybe I'm out of the running already for that reason alone, haha. But I can definitely fix mix issues if you guys hear any!

The tune is called "Gators of Swamp Valley" and is on my Taxi page.

SOLO BANJO INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a successful Production Music Library that has a very long list of really good Film and TV placements. They're on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Banjo Instrumentals that sound like they're plucked straight from the Appalachian Mountains. This request is for SOLO Banjo only. They don't want anything with additional instrumentation or ambient sounds. Your submissions should deliver a Claw-Hammer Banjo sound that can instantly give that rural, backwoods vibe to an establishing shot in a Film or TV show.

Thanks guys,

~~Matt

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Solo Banjo - how's the EQ & Sound quality?

Post by funsongs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

Matt:
not sure if it's my gear or the link... cannot get the Taxi page track to play.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:58 am

Hmmm, it might not have finished doing its upload thing when you check in on it. But I just tried it, and it's working from my end. Thanks for the attempt though!

~~Matt

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:18 am

Working here, and I thought it sounded pretty authentic. Only thing was that I felt it took a while to get going, but I realize it's a solo piece to be used in context, so they may well listen beyond that. It might work, I believe. No issues with squeeks or anything. I really sounds mountain('esque), imo. I used to have a Goodtime Banjo, but I sucked bad and hated the thing, so I decided to get rid of it and just use samples for Banjo. Bolder sounds and 8Dio have them (squeekless) :D
Ceo of my own life

HectorRContreras
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by HectorRContreras » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 am

Hello dear Matt,

This is my attempt at what the Listing describes as :
"Instrumentals that sound like they're plucked straight from the Appalachian Mountains" and : "sound that can instantly give that rural, backwoods vibe"
It is called : "Once in NORTH America"
http://vimeo.com/channels/668522

Except that there is no Banjo, and that there is a few Ambient Sounds, even an old male Indian singing (me :D ) . Yes, I hope that it is going to put a smile on your face and inspires you.

Now, let us have a listen to : "Gators of Swamp Valley"
Oh it starts almost as an Avant Garde Piece, it is very Minimal, in a good way.
The Americana feel is still there, but it is similar to an Improvisation, a Creation that is Frugal and Austere.
It is a very good Musical Idea. The Sound is very near and very clear. It is impressive in its Sobriety.

I would work on it more, I would make it longer.
I would study more the feel, and wait for the Mountains, the Old Mountains and the Woods to come in.

What about trying Meditation.
You know the process : you calm your Body, and in stillness, eyes closed, you begin an inner Journey in your Mind.
An inner Journey that will take you to the Old Mountains up NORTH, and there you will look and listen, and the Inspiration will progressively arise.
Something will be given to you.
The Collective Spirit of the Native Americans is still there, and It will welcome you. You and your Banjo. :) ;)

You wake up slowly.
You take your Banjo, your Microphone, you click on the recording button, and you repeat the very good : "Gators of Swamp Valley", gently so, and you let yourself be led. Your fingers will find the right Chords, dear Matt.

Very interesting Listing indeed, I would love to have a go.

Once in NORTH America.jpg
Once in NORTH America.jpg (111.84 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Last edited by HectorRContreras on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlpacaRoom
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AlpacaRoom » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:53 am

Hey Matt,

Recording sounds fine to me--nice and close, direct, lively--but I wonder if the piece isn't a bit too wander-y. Of course, that may be what they're looking for, atmosphere-wise, so take that with a grain of salt.

That said ... the tuning on the high note that starts around 0:38 is killing me. There's rustic, and then there's rustic. If it were me, I'd track the whole thing over again, watching the intonation and maybe (only maybe) giving it a little more focus.

Is this flatpicked? Just out of curiosity... so many ways to play a banjo, and I've flatpicked only once (for a piece Taxi's forwarded a half dozen times now ... so it must have worked, I guess?).

-Nick

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:09 pm

still nothin'... dang...

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:34 pm

the tuning on the high note that starts around 0:38 is killing me. There's rustic, and then there's rustic.
Hahaha, Nick, that quote made me laugh out loud. You're totally right, man. That note is way out. Oddly enough, it's really the only string that is perfectly in tune. It's just that the rest of the strings are just a little bit out (the banjo isn't perfectly in tune across the fretboard), so I can tune everything perfectly with open strings, but then as soon as I lay on the 3rd fret or higher things start to get wonky. Since that high G string is only played open, I'm 99% sure it's in tune and the others aren't. Go figure.

I'll see if I have time to give it another go. Probably would be the best thing I could do, but I might not get a chance (it took me a good 45 minutes to get this take). Since I'm going free-form without a click, I couldn't really do any punch-in's, and so it took me forever to get from top to bottom with a take I was pleased with. Ahhhh well, we'll see what I can get done. May just have to roll the dice and see if I hit paydirt or roll snake-eyes.

~~Matt

LittleRedChurch
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LittleRedChurch » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:38 pm

I was a city kid who in his teens went rural, too. I read your bio. Crushed me! but that's a different story...

I like the sound! I like the piece! I'm kinda with Alpacha though, I wonder if it may be a tad avant-garde for Appalachian??

Still, very cool, and I'm usually wrong...

LRC

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:00 pm

I have among my "fav" files a collection of mp3 tracks from Appalachian Picking Society, which are just amazing. I'm wondering if you have, or need (or would just like for your own listening pleasure), any of that material; or access to it? If NOT, I could sent along some; whether it helps this project or not.
If yes: shoot me a PM and I'll return stuff via email.

I don't play much Bluegrass, but I listen to a lot of it, and visit the local festivals when they occur.
When I wrote a few songs that needed the real-deal players, I was fortunate to have access to some Grammy-winner talent, and other local pros in that genre who played some wonderful tracks.

Anywho... hope you find what you need to make your track all that you want it to be.
Cheers.
Peter