Some Tips for Overcoming Stage Fright...

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Some Tips for Overcoming Stage Fright...

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:39 pm

One thing to do is to visualize the future, before it happens. So imagine the end of your gig, before you even start playing.

When you’re feeling nervous before you play, imagine your show being over. Picture how well the show went. Imagine the people in the crowd telling you how great your performance was as they buy your CD. Not only will this make you feel good, but it’ll give you a visualization to subconsciously work towards while you’re performing.

Also, every time you’re courageous in life by doing something you fear, you build more confidence in that area of your life. So, the more you perform, the less you will fear performing. If it helps, you can start small by playing at practically empty open mics until you build your way up to full blown gigs. But it’s important to keep doing it. Each time you perform, you will have more confidence as a performer. The scarier the situation seems before you do it, the more confidence you will build by going through with it.

That applies as long as you take on a “I did it!” attitude when you’re done, and NOT an “Oh, I can’t believe I got through that - It was awful” attitude. Doing the latter will not help you improve your confidence. You need to own each performance and realize it’s a stepping stone to making you a more complete performer, for better or for worse.

Hope that helps...

There are a lot more ways to shed stage fright here: http://successforyoursongs.com/freeoffer/stagefright/

see ya on stage! 8-)

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Some Tips for Overcoming Stage Fright...

Post by cardell » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:31 am

Thanks for this. I wonder about this issue sometimes:

When I sing on stage, especially when I'm not playing an instrument, it's one of the most nerve racking things on earth for me. However, it's MUCH worse if I get up and do only one song. The way I see it, theres no chance to redeem myself with subsequent songs. Oh man...just thinking about this is making me nervous!! :shock:

However, If I'm simply playing guitar and not singing, I get no where near as nervous. ;)

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

playagibson
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by playagibson » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:26 am

I've been gigging for too many years now and if I don't get nervous and hyper before a show I worry more. It's a natural feeling and you should
embrace it.
The best thing you can do as a performer is look directly at the crowd, eye to eye so to speak.
It shows confidence and power.
An audience is there to be entertained, they want to listen, enjoy and groove along to whatever style your playing. You need to encourage them
and show that you appreciate them.
Performing is no different than learning an instrument.
The more you gig the better you get at it.
Practice makes perfect.

wta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by wta » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:07 pm

I started off treating the audience as the apposing sport team and "attacked" them! Taking control of any given moment is vital no matter what you're doing on stage or on camera so learning how to be a control freak is key ;-) LOL!
Music is like oxygen, you can live without it but not for very long...
http://www.withcriminalintent.com
http://www.williamthomasanderson.com

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by burpo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:53 pm

When I used to perform live, I used to address anything looking like stage fright by writing off the result.
I'd say to my myself, that this wasn't gonna be one for the record books, but what the heck, let's hit it.
Then, I wound up loosening up and the show wasn't so bad. Just my two cents.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician

Kelil
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Kelil » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:23 pm

I never talk live at all. I simply go on stage and play the songs and leave.

I think when I'm just going on stage to sing I get that feeling I used to get when at school and I'm about to get into a physical fight. The adrenaline runs but then when the fight gets going the adrenaline leaves. Same with playing live.

I also have 2 pints of Guinness before going on stage. And because alcohol is already dehydrating, the lighting on stage adds to that dehydration so I have a bottle of Water by my stool.

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:50 pm

cardell wrote:Thanks for this. I wonder about this issue sometimes:

When I sing on stage, especially when I'm not playing an instrument, it's one of the most nerve racking things on earth for me. However, it's MUCH worse if I get up and do only one song. The way I see it, theres no chance to redeem myself with subsequent songs. Oh man...just thinking about this is making me nervous!! :shock:

However, If I'm simply playing guitar and not singing, I get no where near as nervous. ;)

Stuart
haha... Nah, man - it's all a mindset thing! It can definitely be overcome, by training your mind to think the right way... I've done it... so you can too : )
that's what I talk a lot about in the report I attached in the initial link.
Stream my latest singer-songwriter album here: https://ffm.to/anthonyceseri

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:52 pm

playagibson wrote:I've been gigging for too many years now and if I don't get nervous and hyper before a show I worry more. It's a natural feeling and you should
embrace it.
The best thing you can do as a performer is look directly at the crowd, eye to eye so to speak.
It shows confidence and power.
An audience is there to be entertained, they want to listen, enjoy and groove along to whatever style your playing. You need to encourage them
and show that you appreciate them.
Performing is no different than learning an instrument.
The more you gig the better you get at it.
Practice makes perfect.

Yes... very true.

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:54 pm

Kelil wrote:I never talk live at all. I simply go on stage and play the songs and leave.

I think when I'm just going on stage to sing I get that feeling I used to get when at school and I'm about to get into a physical fight. The adrenaline runs but then when the fight gets going the adrenaline leaves. Same with playing live.

I also have 2 pints of Guinness before going on stage. And because alcohol is already dehydrating, the lighting on stage adds to that dehydration so I have a bottle of Water by my stool.
If you're not talking because of stage fright, you should start forcing yourself to do it... it'll help you overcome those fears... by doing it more...

AnthonyCeseri
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AnthonyCeseri » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:56 pm

burpo wrote:When I used to perform live, I used to address anything looking like stage fright by writing off the result.
I'd say to my myself, that this wasn't gonna be one for the record books, but what the heck, let's hit it.
Then, I wound up loosening up and the show wasn't so bad. Just my two cents.
Nice - That's an important point too... don't let the result of any single show define you. It's just a single show. That's important to keep in mind.