Re: Somebody To Love (Muzak Version)

Post by MrKaplan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:30 pm

Cheese it is!!

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Sounds a little like a DEVO version of that song, which is not really muzak, but I think the listing was pretty broad so..who knows? Maybe Devo would work as the muzak of the near future. Smooth Jazz was definitely the muzak of its time (80s and beyond). Good luck!

I was tempted by this one since I like doing the Cheeze, but I ultimately didn't think the song was a very good candidate for muzak treatment, or at least what I could come up with. The song is mostly one chord and deliberately crude-ish (parallel 5ths). I really liked the idea of the scene - a really iconic 60s song playing to aging boomers. But 'Somebody To Love' is just harmonically so monotone, unlike 'Light My Fire', for example, or others. The whole track would have to be the chorus over and over. oh well..

billhewett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by billhewett » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:01 pm

This is definitely a fun, quirky, laid back version of "Somebody To Love", but in this case I don't think it quite works for the listing given the a la they used which was straight out smooth jazz piano and drums, with a hint of string bass near the end. I always thought of Muzak as being more stiff and electronic, but I guess it really did lean more toward smooth jazz.

I hope you prove me wrong and I see a posting from you in the forwards section next month :)

-Bill

Milkmanmo

Post by Milkmanmo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:24 pm

jonnybutter wrote: I was tempted by this one since I like doing the Cheeze, but I ultimately didn't think the song was a very good candidate for muzak treatment, or at least what I could come up with. The song is mostly one chord and deliberately crude-ish (parallel 5ths). I really liked the idea of the scene - a really iconic 60s song playing to aging boomers. But 'Somebody To Love' is just harmonically so monotone, unlike 'Light My Fire', for example, or others. The whole track would have to be the chorus over and over. oh well..
I was going to submit for this but couldn't finish before the deadline. I did get these scratch tracks down, though. I changed it from minor to major to make it more upbeat (i.e. cheesy), and it did sound a little "Light my Fire"ish:

https://soundcloud.com/moshaw/somebody- ... n-airplane

I just joined Taxi, but haven't completed a submission yet. I'm in the middle of trying to move, and have two kids at home all summer, so not a lot of time to record. I'm blown away by how you guys crank these out so quickly!

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:47 pm

MrKaplan wrote:Hi Everyone,

I would love any feedback on the Muzak cover I just submitted for "Somebody To Love"
The only thing I would say is the beginning sounds a lot like the end, in terms of arrangement. To keep it 'moving forward' you might want to add some things to spice it up, so the editor can pick the section that fits the best.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

MrKaplan
Active
Active

Post by MrKaplan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it! I wasn't sure how to make a Muzak song "interesting." I will work on that aspect of it. Thanks again!!

Jason

MrKaplan
Active
Active

Post by MrKaplan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Milkmanno,

I just listened to your version. I like it. The Piano reminds me of a Vox Continental, kind of a Doors vibe. Really cool!! Don't worry, I have missed deadlines too, and I get so mad at myself. Take Care,

Jason

Milkmanmo

Post by Milkmanmo » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

MrKaplan wrote:Hi Milkmanno,

I just listened to your version. I like it. The Piano reminds me of a Vox Continental, kind of a Doors vibe. Really cool!! Don't worry, I have missed deadlines too, and I get so mad at myself. Take Care,

Jason
Thanks! It was my sweet old Mark II Rhodes through a tube pre-amp, with some guitar pedals. I played an upright bass on there too, but it seems to vanish from the mix when listening through anything other than headphones or monitors. I now know not to stick the Mic straight in the f-hole... (that's what she said)
Sucked I missed the deadline, but I'm primarily a guitar player, so this was still good practice, since I've barely played any piano in years (and keyboards probably get used a lot more than guitars overall in Taxi submissions).
Best of luck!
-Mo

MrKaplan
Active
Active

Post by MrKaplan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Take care man! Looking forward to hearing more of your stuff!!