Sometimes, DISPATCH isn't worth it...

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Sometimes, DISPATCH isn't worth it...

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:37 pm

And I don't mean that in ANY bad way. I'm simply stating that, for someone like myself with only 8 songs demo-ed, there just aren't enough "dispatch" listings asking for the stuff I write/have available to make the extra costs viable. Granted, I DID get forwarded for ONE dispatch listing (out of the 15+ I submitted to), but for the extra expense --when you're making $7 an hour-- I need MANY more songs/tunes/styles ready to go.Nothing more than my experience during this first year of membership. I think the dispatch service is an amazing added plus of TAXI, but for a limited newbie, it may not be the way to go.Any feedback? Am I right? Wrong? Not paying attention?ZThanks,Ted
The truest of tears
Seem to me to be the ones
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sometimes, DISPATCH isn't worth it...

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:39 pm

Don't know what that last "Z" is supposed to mean, so don't ask...and I won't tell. Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Quote:And I don't mean that in ANY bad way. I'm simply stating that, for someone like myself with only 8 songs demo-ed, there just aren't enough "dispatch" listings asking for the stuff I write/have available to make the extra costs viable. Granted, I DID get forwarded for ONE dispatch listing (out of the 15+ I submitted to), but for the extra expense --when you're making $7 an hour-- I need MANY more songs/tunes/styles ready to go.Nothing more than my experience during this first year of membership. I think the dispatch service is an amazing added plus of TAXI, but for a limited newbie, it may not be the way to go.Any feedback? Am I right? Wrong? Not paying attention?ZThanks,TedAn Aussie couple introduced me to "The Dispatch Challenge" whereby you write a track from scratch, specifically for a Dispatch listing, and you submit it on time and get a forward. I guess you REALLY win if you get a deal out of it.You're definitely correct. To make the best use of Dispatch, you really need to have the ability to do quick turnarounds in a home studio or have a large catalog of existing tracks to choose from.Z Dave

tedsingingfox
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by tedsingingfox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:55 pm

Thanks, Dave. And TRULY appreciated the added "Z". Ted
The truest of tears
Shed in gratitude
-Haiku by TF, 1982

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 pm

I only joined Dispatch this year when I got my audio computer and could dedicate many hours to producing music. I play the Dispatch Challenge, sometimes I end up not submitting because I don't think the piece is finished, and sometimes what I create ends up not sounding like what the listing is looking for.... and other times, I do okay.So I say, Dispatch IS worth it, IF you can produce music quickly and/or have a huge cataloque.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:23 pm

That's been my experience too. If it looks like an easy listing (i.e., public domain or something easy to reproduce), I'll do it. I've been forwarded that way. Otherwise, nope, I won't until I have my own studio. Not cost effective. Too much risk for a scaredy-cat like me.

paults
Impressive
Impressive

Post by paults » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:55 am

If you have the gear and time to meet the short deadlines, you may get inspired to make some music that you wouldn't otherwise record. I look at it as a challenge that produces music that can be used again in the future. The short turnaround on these also keeps me from doing as many revisions and remixes , as I've "run out of time". Conventional listings allow for for more revision time AFTER they have been submitted than the entire life cycle of a Dispatch Listing. Then, its on to the next one: )

trentoliphant
Impressive
Impressive

Post by trentoliphant » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:06 am

I have only been a TAXI member for a couple of months (I joined DISPATCH a month later). Even though I haven't submitted that much yet almost all of them have been through DISPATCH listings. It has challenged me to write and work on stuff in a way that the regular listings haven't. I'm not too successful at fulfilling the Dispatch Challenge - but it has gotten me working on things, and given me deadlines. I know that the regular listings do that to - but for some reason the shorter deadlines help me out. I'm even thinking of creating some sort of mechanism to email myself single regular listings that I am interested in doing so that I can treat it like a DISPATCH listing.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:22 am

Yeah, what is it about deadlines that lights a fire in our creative souls?
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

squidlips
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by squidlips » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:26 am

Un-dah presh-uh!! I bet it's partially that there's only enough time to pick a direction and head off that way. Not like there isn't second-guessing along the way, I'm not saying that, but that you can't exactly go back and start a new approach to a song. No time. Kinda fun, really. I had a blast on that last Dispatch thing I did but it was an easy one. I've really got to get it together cash-wise and get that studio put together so I can do more.