Sometimes It's All Subjective

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Sometimes It's All Subjective

Post by nknjmes » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:51 am

You know, sometimes you get critiques that show a consistent flaw with your song. Other times you get conflicting critiques from similar listings. For a new song, I just got conflicting critiques where one listener thought the lyrics were cohesive and the chorus was uplifting but not quite on target for the listing, while the other listener said it had elements for the listing but lacked cohesive lyrics and an uplifting chorus. Well what can you do? I'm going to brush it off and wait for a couple more critiques on this song. We'll see what happens....

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sometimes It's All Subjective

Post by davewalton » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:20 am

Quote:For a new song, I just got conflicting critiques where one listener thought the lyrics were cohesive and the chorus was uplifting but not quite on target for the listing, while the other listener said it had elements for the listing but lacked cohesive lyrics and an uplifting chorus. Well what can you do? I'm going to brush it off and wait for a couple more critiques on this song. We'll see what happens.... Well, you've got the right attitude, that's for sure. That's a major plus in your favor. We have near nuclear meltdowns on the forum from time to time because of a few returns or conflicting reviews. It's not like conflicting opinions only happen in a Taxi vacuum. Just watch any show like American Idol, So You Want To Be A Rock Star, etc. Sometimes the judges are in agreement but many times one judge says one thing while another judge says something completely different, especially towards the end where all the contestants are really good, only separated by the slightest differences.Personally I'm looking for progress and so my thinking is that conflicting reviews are a lot better than a unanimous concensus that the song stinks. You've got the right idea. Brush it off, maybe wait for a few more critiques or whatever to try to learn a little more, but more importantly, move on and just try for progress. Dave

nknjmes
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Sometimes It's All Subjective

Post by nknjmes » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:31 pm

I think the critiques are key to, like you said, progress. Conflicting or not, I'm glad to have them. After 2 or sometimes 3 critiques, I've got a good idea what's good and what's bad about a song.