Sonar? Logic? ProTools? WHICH IS BEST?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Sonar? Logic? ProTools? WHICH IS BEST?

Post by mazz » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:23 pm

With Macs you "usually" don't have too many issues getting them up and running because they aren't customizable beyond adding RAM, hard drives and maybe video cards. So no, there's no purpose built Macs because they "usually" just work and it's a closed system so there's very little issue with incompatibility. If it works with a Mac, it works with every Mac (usually), because you can only get a Mac from Apple or an authorized vendor. I'm biased toward Macs but I have both in my studio.In the Windows world, there's so many variables because it's a more open hardware platform, but with so many different computer configurations, it's "usually" harder to troubleshoot if things go wrong.All software is easy to use once you know how to use it. Since you're starting from the beginning, anything you get will have a steep learning curve and then once you learn it, it will be easy to use. It's like learning to drive a stick shift. After a while, you forget how many times you killed the engine and gave your passengers whiplash by jerking the car around! It becomes second nature. Then if you drive a different car, you can still shift the gears after a much shorter period of adjustment. The knowledge builds. Once you get going on something and really learn it, it won't matter which you choose. As long as you can write great music and have it come out sounding broadcast quality, the tools are secondary.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:59 pm

Dec 27, 2008, 4:10pm, girasoledonna wrote:, but i'm wondering if an additional learning curve is such a good idea. There really is no learning curve with switching to a mac if you are at all computer literate. It would take you an hour tops to see the differences in how OSX works IMO. In most cases you will find things are easier and quicker . Also, you can make an appointment at the Apple store and they will give you a tour of the OS.If you are accustomed to using windows and you have a hard time with OSX, then you really have no business making music on a computer IMO. In less than 2 ours on my first mac I was able to do everything I needed to in OSX, make a short movie w/effects, and record a song. Learning OSX is the absolute LEAST of your worries. Recording, mixing, sequencing, etc. will be a much larger obstacle. PC or Mac will both do the job, but don't let the "additonal learning curve" thing with macs make the decision for you. -Steve

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:25 pm

I would agree with that, it doesn't take too long to get used to the OS, and compared to all the other stuff you'll have to learn it would be trivial. However, you will have to install your own software and hardware; or at least I'm not aware of any places that sell Macs which will do that for you, let alone for free.Then again your boyfriend should certainly be able to do that.The bottom line is either platform will work fine, so it might be best to demo the 3 or 4 DAW's at a music store to see which one makes the most sense to you, and also compare prices and the hardware warranties.

girasoledonna
Impressive
Impressive

Post by girasoledonna » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:25 pm

Thanks guys - that too is helpful. I am very computer literate on a PC, and can get around very well. I just have never used a Mac, and didn't know how different they were from PC's. But i'm no stranger to the world of computers being a child of the digital age And you are right that mixing, recording and sequencing will be my biggest challenge. I am thinking Mac, since most of the people I trust have all said they are really great machines.I think I will have to check out a few programs like you said - see the demo and what I like.. I'm leaning towards Logic which is what a friend of mine uses and loves. I don't have a day job for the next 5 weeks.. so i'm planning on buying my gear and literally living in my studio shedding and learning as fast as I can. I recognize how steep a learning curve this will be, and I am honored the person who signed me had enough faith in my composing ability by hearing me perform live to entrust this responsibility to me! I am always excited by a challenge, and its great to know I have all of you to help me out along the way. Gotta Love Taxi!!- Anj

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:11 pm

I find it really interesting that NO ONE has recommended pro tools, i thought that was the industry standard ?? i am a mac/logic user (well really i've been a mac/garageband user, but i'm learning logic slowly....) and was pleased to hear it's what you pros recommend. Anj, i can't really offer any advice but if your boyfriend knows and repairs macs i say you have a fantastic advantage to working with a mac. i have looooooooooved my mac since the day i owned it and excuse the dumb joke but "once you've had a mac, you never go back" hahaha! (i know some of you have switched, but i'm keeping mine!)ps fellow forum member CK Barlow recommended David Nahmani's Logic book as a reference, i JUST bought it today, but i trust it will be useful.

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:26 pm

Dec 27, 2008, 9:11pm, hazineju wrote:I find it really interesting that NO ONE has recommended pro tools, i thought that was the industry standard ?? I mentioned to check out PT8 The only reason I didn't recommend it over Logic is that the previous PT versions that I have used don't have enough to do the job that she is going to be doing IMHO...especially compared with Logic. I haven't used PT8, but for what Anj is getting into I can't imagine that it would best Logic. She will be needing a lot of software instruments and be doing a lot of work with midi, which is an area where I think Logic really outshines PT. -Steve

hazineju
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by hazineju » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 pm

oops, i missed that, sorry! yes good point, this is specifically for Anj's situation...

girasoledonna
Impressive
Impressive

Post by girasoledonna » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:06 am

so PT doesn't come with a lot of ssoftware instruments but Logic does?

slideboardouts
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by slideboardouts » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:19 am

Dec 28, 2008, 8:06am, girasoledonna wrote:so PT doesn't come with a lot of ssoftware instruments but Logic does?The pervious versions of PT were definitely lacking in that area. PT8 might not be...I don't know. There is a thread on PT8 in the Tech section here you might want to check out. Even if it does I doubt it comes with as much as Logic. It's unreal how many sounds and loops you get with the Logic Studio pack.-Steve

ragani
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ragani » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:10 pm

Hi Anj,I'd agree with most of what's been recommended here regarding equipment-- and I think the main reason people didn't push ProTools8 is because of the cost, and because you mentioned not wanting lots of bells and whistles. It's got a lot of them, and is probably overkill for you.I just recently went through the Mac/PC debate, as I've worked with both. The Mac's are really solid machines, but they are more costly, and you won't find *deals* on them, as Apple fixes prices. So the PC would be cheaper, and if you have it built, you could really soup it up with extra RAM and all (instead of paying the out of the box price), and still get them to install software for you at a lower price than buying it out of the box. We do this all the time for our PC's, and we'll probably never go back to buying them in the box, as we can have them made to order, with plenty more power and speed, for a fraction of the cost. That being said, I ended up choosing to stay with Mac for the music production, so I coughed up a few bones to have this quiet music-friendly beast in my studio again. If you did choose Mac, my guess is that you wouldn't find much noticeable difference once you're in your DAW, as you'd be learning this from the bottom up regardless of which computer you choose. I also wanted to chime in here, as you asked about where to get your gear. For any gear that I am going to buy, I always search online for the cheapest price I can find, I print out a copy of the price, and then I head to a place like Guitar Center where they'll match the prices for me. I always work to keep a good contact at all the local music stores-- and they cut me great deals. You should never pay retail price for any music gear, IMO. This is a great time to buy, as stores are having year-end sales and wanting to get rid of merch before doing inventory.Good luck to you, Anj! You'll pedal uphill for a while, but it will be well worth it in the end, when you can do all your own productions!And [belated] congratulations to you on the Amy Winehouse album placement! That cover is HOT, and it was just in time for the holidays! Raags
"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it..." - Goethe
http://www.RaganiWorld.com - Turn the World to Love®
http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.php?artist=ragani