Song credits & splits by e-mail

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

magicjuani
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Song credits & splits by e-mail

Post by magicjuani » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:22 am

By e-mail, a publisher is asking me for the full song credit and splits for a track (despite the fact I entered all the info in the metadata of the file but I'm willing to help even more accurately lol)

My questions might sound dumb but how do you write that by e-mail since there's no document or template to fill out etc.?

For now, at this time of music pitching, I own 100% of the writing, composing, publishing shares and master recording rights of the instrumental demo + topline on it.

Should I use info a la YouTube for Art tracks for instance for presenting credits and adding % ?

ex:

Lyricist: Obi-Juan (100%)
Composer: Obi-Juan (100%)
Producer: Obi-Juan (100%)

Thanks!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Song credits & splits by e-mail

Post by AlanHall » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 am

My guess is that the publisher (library?) considers email to be "more" legally binding than metadata in a track, so they're looking for personal, public documentation of your ownership. Maybe they've had issues in the past with this?

If you have full ownership, simply state that you have 100% control over the words, music, and performance, and 100% of the publishing (which is what they will be negotiating for). I'd think you could send them that and then ask to see if that is sufficient.

Others may chime in. I am not a lawyer, and not an expert on library contracts. Hope this helps!

magicjuani
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by magicjuani » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:37 am

AlanHall wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:28 am
My guess is that the publisher (library?) considers email to be "more" legally binding than metadata in a track, so they're looking for personal, public documentation of your ownership. Maybe they've had issues in the past with this?

If you have full ownership, simply state that you have 100% control over the words, music, and performance, and 100% of the publishing (which is what they will be negotiating for). I'd think you could send them that and then ask to see if that is sufficient.

Others may chime in. I am not a lawyer, and not an expert on library contracts. Hope this helps!
Thank you for your reply, Alan!
The publisher is not a library. It's a AAA entertainment agency in Asia which owns a publishing company.

As for public documentation, I made a 'temporary declaration' at my PRO (possible at SACEM in France) so I have the receipt of that but since it's not going to be the final version of the released product, it doesn't show "keys PHONO" for master rights on it.

So I may simply follow what you suggest for now: writing a sentence that I have 100% control over it (and yes, it will be a good sign if I end up sharing that)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 am

magicjuani wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:22 am
By e-mail, a publisher is asking me for the full song credit and splits for a track (despite the fact I entered all the info in the metadata of the file but I'm willing to help even more accurately lol)

My questions might sound dumb but how do you write that by e-mail since there's no document or template to fill out etc.?

For now, at this time of music pitching, I own 100% of the writing, composing, publishing shares and master recording rights of the instrumental demo + topline on it.

Should I use info a la YouTube for Art tracks for instance for presenting credits and adding % ?

ex:

Thanks!
I think you may be over-analyzing this as they may just simply want the information for contracts and PRO registration. Not everyone looks at the metadata for this. Most libraries and agents don't rely on that, though it's good to have it there. Lyrics vs. music is not relevant, it's just ownership splits of the song as a whole. You don't need a complex template or form. It's usually as simple as:

Joe Smith ASCAP IPI#XXXXXXXX 50% (Master & Composition)
Bob Writewood BMI IPI#XXXXXXX 50% (Master & Composition)

HTH
:D Casey

magicjuani
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by magicjuani » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:07 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:58 am
magicjuani wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:22 am

ex:

Thanks!
I think you may be over-analyzing this as they may just simply want the information for contracts and PRO registration. Not everyone looks at the metadata for this. Most libraries and agents don't rely on that, though it's good to have it there. Lyrics vs. music is not relevant, it's just ownership splits of the song as a whole. You don't need a complex template or form. It's usually as simple as:

Joe Smith ASCAP IPI#XXXXXXXX 50% (Master & Composition)
Bob Writewood BMI IPI#XXXXXXX 50% (Master & Composition)

HTH
:D Casey

Dear Casey, you're always the one to pat me on the shoulder for reassurance.
Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I'm on the anxious side! :p