Song length

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Song length

Post by edteja » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:17 am

Jimmy Webb calls it either a tag or epilogue in his book.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

hookstownbrown
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by hookstownbrown » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:44 pm

Yeah, in Nashville, a new section at the end of a song is called a tag. I would think the same applies elsewhere for pop, r&b, etc. "Outro" sounds more like an instrumental finish to me. "Coda" is Latin or whatever. Who knows? Regardless, most of the MBA's running A&R departments will not get "Coda". They think numbers, not foreign terms. Keep it simple unless you are pitching to Andre Previn.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:02 pm

Good to know, thanks hookstown.I have a song with ABAB arrangement. But there's a section at the end that's different I've been calling bridge. I don't like calling it a bridge because it ends the song. A bridge is supposed to go somewhere and that's why it's called a bridge. Maybe I should call it a tag instead? Give me your opinion if you have a chance.http://nomiyah.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=43You can listen if you want athttp://www.nomiyah.com/dashboard/avgallery/med ... .MP3Thanks. Nomi

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:13 pm

Since the subject is Song Length, what is a good song length these days? I've heard a song is ideally slightly over 3 minutes, slightly under 5. There are hits of various lengths. Any thoughts?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20 pm

I aim for 3 / 3.5 but have gone as long as 4.30 on certain ballads that are meant for my albums. Commercially shorter is better, 3 to 4 minutes, particularly because they usually don't want to hear long intros/outros and solos in demos.Many song contests have a 5 min max.H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

53mph
Impressive
Impressive

Post by 53mph » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 pm

My first single was 5.24 and it got A-listed to radio.My second single was over 7 mins and still got lots of airplay.It really depends on the quality of the song and performance.In fact the DJ from one station who championed my music said that he really respected the label for putting out radio unfriendly length singles.I've submitted the same singles to Taxi and, yes, of course I'm told they're too long.It really depends on the trends at the time, the context (on radio, on an album, in a Taxi listing) and personal taste. Of course the industry standard is 3-4 minutes, but as Michael always says in his emails, sometimes breaking the mold can be refreshing for the listener.My favourite single of the 90's was by a band called Swervedriver called Never Lose That Feeling. It has an outro of about 10 minutes, with the rest of the song it came to about 15mins. It was absolute genius

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:43 pm

3 to 5 minutes sounds right to me but I do appreciate hearing your opinions.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:35 pm

The answer to this one is blindingly obvious!The song should stop before it gets boring whether that be ten seconds or ten minutes.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Quote:I have a song with ABAB arrangement. But there's a section at the end that's different I've been calling bridge. I don't like calling it a bridge because it ends the song. A bridge is supposed to go somewhere and that's why it's called a bridge. Maybe I should call it a tag instead? I just got a review from Taxi about the song "Couldn't Walk Away". It was a complimentary review but, lo and behold, one of the only criticisms was that there should be a chorus after the bridge. I've learned from this and I'm calling it a tag from now on. Really appreciate the comments Hooks and all.Nomi