From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Song Panelist Review

Post by Robertj64 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:13 pm

Hey All,

I enjoyed the song panelist review today. It was great to give and listen to feedback on each of the songs presented. We got to hear from Library executives and learned a lot about what they look for and their perspective. The song, the timing and if it works for the library in question are all things to consider.

My only other feedback would be to expand the panel to 90 minutes. I think an hour and 15 minutes might be a little too short in light of the volume of songs submitted. Granted, one will never get through the songs in one sitting but a little more time will allow for a few more songs to be heard. The only other note I would have - in order to be fair to everyone, I would suggest to listen to a verse and a chorus of each song before fading out. We tend to listen longer to the better produced songs out there and that is unfair to the other entrants.

I really enjoyed the show. It was a pleasure to listen and learn and also be a part of the chat community. I just think the format needs to be tweaked a little.

Thanks and happy RR to everyone!

Best
Robert

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Song Panelist Review

Post by hummingbird » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 am

Hi Robert, the schedule is set in stone for this year, I imagine, and those are the typical times for the listening panels at the live Rally. One big change that TAXI made in the last couple of years was making submissions to the panels a TAXI listing, so that those who aren't played at the panel at least have a chance to have their music heard by the screeners and forwarded to the panelists if appropriate.

I do agree though, that songs should be limited to a verse and chorus; and instrumentals a max of 90 seconds.

H
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Song Panelist Review

Post by Robertj64 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:29 am

hummingbird wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:29 am
Hi Robert, the schedule is set in stone for this year, I imagine, and those are the typical times for the listening panels at the live Rally. One big change that TAXI made in the last couple of years was making submissions to the panels a TAXI listing, so that those who aren't played at the panel at least have a chance to have their music heard by the screeners and forwarded to the panelists if appropriate.

I do agree though, that songs should be limited to a verse and chorus; and instrumentals a max of 90 seconds.

H
Exactly. Nothing we can do for the time format but for the song themselves, the best thing Michael can do is have a timer on him. With a timer, all songs can get equal attention. The feedback can vary depending on what the panelists want to add.

Cheers!