Song/recording evaluation for broadcast quality

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

michelJean2020nov

Song/recording evaluation for broadcast quality

Post by michelJean2020nov » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 am

Hi everybody,

In short what I would like to know is, to you, what is the the best way to get a recording evaluated to know whether or not it's broadcast quality?

So far I've submitted 3 songs. One would have been forwarded but wasn't because the sound was not broadcast quality. To me it sound very ok. Also, I have a lot of other stuff I would submit but I need to know before I do that their recording quality is ok.

In other words it would be great to know before I submit something that the sound is broadcast quality to begin with.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Song/recording evaluation for broadcast quality

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:11 am

michelJean2020nov wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:43 am
In other words it would be great to know before I submit something that the sound is broadcast quality to begin with.
Post it here would be my advice ( in Peer to Peer )

michelJean2020nov

Post by michelJean2020nov » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:26 am

Good, ok, so how about this one:

https://soundcloud.com/micheljeanguitna ... WkfHEhiFY4

This is a good example I guess. Like I said I have others:-)
Thanks!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

IMHO this one is not broadcast quality, and there are several reasons why it wouldn't be forwarded. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but musically, it doesn't really develop, the guitar doesn't work with the bass in certain places, some of the timing is a little 'loose', and the recording/mix is not particularly clear. Also, I'm not sure what sort of listing you would be able to submit this track for. Perhaps you have a genre in mind, but it might be a difficult match to the typical Taxi listings (if there is such a thing).

Sorry if these things are not what you hoped to hear, but its better to know up-front rather than pay to submit and be disappointed. The good thing is that there's now a wealth of very helpful free information and guidance on recording, arranging, mixing, etc. A few minutes on Google and Youtube and you'll find more than you cope with :).

Most people wanting feedback on their tracks post them in the Peer To Peer section. Perhaps if you have a listen at some of those tracks and the feedback given it'll help give you an idea of the styles and standards that others are working on. If you compare the quality with your own music it'll also give you some perspective. Better than that though, check out any of the forwarded tracks for recent listings, then you'll know what the standard is like for getting through. Best of luck!
Last edited by Telefunkin on Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by gitanosoy » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi Michael,

First of all have a listen to other members tracks on SC ,website or forward section and you will hear the difference I hope. The track sounds like it was recorded from a mic on to your computer, I really wanted to say a cassette tape but we all know that the chances of that is very minimal. Then the timing issue, it is not in time. The performance: Maybe practice the guitar part really well before recording if you captured a live recording, if not and then go back and fix the track.

I will stop here, if I am blunt and sound harsh it is only because I am trying to help and give you direction, I am sure others will as well.

Good luck

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:33 am

It's pretty far from broadcast quality, it sounds like everything is recorded from 10 foot away. Reminds me of the sound we used to get when taping band rehearsal with cassette recorder in the corner with a built in microphone.

As Telefunkin has mentioned, all the info is out there. You may need some proper equipment too but all this stuff can be learned.

Mark

michelJean2020nov

Post by michelJean2020nov » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:47 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm
IMHO this one is not broadcast quality, and there are several reasons why it wouldn't be forwarded. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but musically, it doesn't really develop, the guitar doesn't work with the bass in certain places, some of the timing is a little 'loose', and the recording/mix is not particularly clear. Also, I'm not sure what sort of listing you would be able to submit this track for. Perhaps you have a genre in mind, but it might be a difficult match to the typical Taxi listings (if there is such a thing).

Sorry if these things are not what you hoped to hear, but its better to know up-front rather than pay to submit and be disappointed. The good thing is that there's now a wealth of very helpful free information and guidance on recording, arranging, mixing, etc. A few minutes on Google and Youtube and you'll find more than you cope with :).

Most people wanting feedback on their tracks post them in the Peer To Peer section. Perhaps if you have a listen at some of those tracks and the feedback given it'll help give you an idea of the styles and standards that others are working on. If you compare the quality with your own music it'll also give you some perspective. Better than that though, check out any of the forwarded tracks for recent listings, then you'll know what the standard is like for getting through. Best of luck!
This was not the song that would have been forwarded like Imentioned in the message. This was to know if the recording was broadcast quality. Thanks for your evaluation.

michelJean2020nov

Post by michelJean2020nov » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:54 am

gitanosoy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:50 pm
Hi Michael,

First of all have a listen to other members tracks on SC ,website or forward section and you will hear the difference I hope. The track sounds like it was recorded from a mic on to your computer, I really wanted to say a cassette tape but we all know that the chances of that is very minimal. Then the timing issue, it is not in time. The performance: Maybe practice the guitar part really well before recording if you captured a live recording, if not and then go back and fix the track.

I will stop here, if I am blunt and sound harsh it is only because I am trying to help and give you direction, I am sure others will as well.

Good luck
Well it was recorded with better stuff than this:-) I don't really remember how I've recorded this one but to me it sounds ok. So I will follow what you suggest. And I will certainly try to get feedback from peer to peer section before I submit another song to Taxi. Thanks!

michelJean2020nov

Post by michelJean2020nov » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:25 am

My setup is:

Speakers: Yamaha HS-5 reference monitors
Audio Interface: M-Audio 2626 24bit/192khz
Multi-track software: n-Track Studio

Mics:
- Audio-technica ATM450
- Sure SM57
- Audio-technica PRO3

Computers:
- windows 10 with 32GB Ram
- Macbook Pro 2011 running El Capitan

Sounds like I have issues with timing. Do you find timing issues with this one:

https://soundcloud.com/micheljeanguitna ... YkaFYE5Fd4

The song I was referring to in my first message on this thread , for which I've submitted it to Taxi #S201217PS is this one:

https://soundcloud.com/micheljeanguitna ... HRRA5qJdyP

I know that this one has definitely has timing issues. It was recorded some time ago and not with the setup mentioned above. I see now why this one is not broadcast quality

michelJean2020nov

Post by michelJean2020nov » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:42 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Thanks for your input. I"m certainly open to feedback. I will certainly go to Peer to Peer next time before I submit something.