Songs with 'killer' hooks

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Songs with 'killer' hooks

Post by jeffe » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:41 pm

Pretty close steve. It's more to do with a stalker.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:51 pm

Don't forget "Drinkin' Bone" for the Hall of Shame, or Conway Twitty's "I'd Love To Lay You Down."

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:24 pm

Sometimes a killer hook is a formula......Sax + I IV V progression + Latin groove + Rosalita you're my strong desire.....

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:11 am

Hall of Shame: Me And You And A Dog Named Boo. Or was it Blue?

mccarthy

Post by mccarthy » Thu May 31, 2007 5:15 am

Hey guys and gals, I wanted to take this thread in a slightly new direction....What are some MODERN / RECENT songs with killer hooks? In other words, no more 60's or 70's references...not because I don't love all those songs you already mentioned, but because it may be useful to talk about what comprises a killer hook TODAY. I think things have changed a lot, no? I believe there are less killer hooks these days, but I'd like to see what people come up with. At least I will say there are less guitar riff killer hooks, that's for sure. How have things changed, what should we (as songwriters) be aiming for in today's market for a killer hook?!?Here are some modern pop/rock examples, to throw a few out there: - Green Day, "American Idiot" - this song has a great guitar riff, rare these days. It's simple but effective. goes well with the vocal hook too, "Don't wanna be an american idiot...." - Weezer - "Beverly Hills!!...that's where I want to be!" - "Bad Day" whoever that is by, I don't like the song, but the chorus is very hooky. - Justin Timberlake - "Sexy Back"? Ouch. - Green Day, "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" - the lyrics are inane, but that vocal melody is amazing. - A couple tunes from Kelly Clarkson's first album are pretty catchy, like "behind these hazel eyes", but are they Killer? Hmmm, no. This is way harder than I thought. - James Blunt - "You're Beautiful" now that is a killer vocal hook. Personally I find it repetitive and whiny, but I'll be damned if it's not one of the most memorable recent hooks. - If I followed Hip Hop more I'm sure there are some good ones there, they are always coming up with innovative sounds. "Now I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger....uh..." pretty good stuff.Ok, I think I rambled a bit more than I meant to, but let me know what you think!!!

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Thu May 31, 2007 5:54 am

Hmmmm, MODERN recent songs with killer hooks....well, I listen mostly to country music, and being that country music may be one of the last great frontiers where the killer hook still reigns supreme....here's my list of the recents, only a few mind you. Most of these hits have occured within the last two years.1. Jesus Take the Wheel---Carrie Underwood2. Honky Tonk, Badonky Donk --Trace Atkins3. Drinkin' Me Lonely -- Chris Young4. Teardrops on My Guitar --- Taylor Swift5. If You're Going Through Hell, Keep on Movin', You Might Get Out Before the Devil Even Knows You're There ---(think the artist's name is Rodney Adkins)

chitownjerry

Post by chitownjerry » Thu May 31, 2007 7:17 am

Well older ones not already mentioned:Still The One - Orleans (Although Shania Twain's song o fthe same name could be in the new list)Brown Eyed Girl - Van MorrisonMoondance - Van MorrisonMoney for Nothing - Dire StraitsI Feel Fine - The Beatles - BOTH lyrical and guitar hooks!I Should Have Known Better - The harmonica hooks you from note one!Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple -one of the greatest opening guitar hooksNewer songsSmooth - Santana - "Gimme your heart make it real, or else forget about it" - When we play that everyone in the crowd sings that line!Angel - Sarah McLachlan -"in the arms of an angel"harder to come up with new ones!Jerry

ncc1701
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ncc1701 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:16 am

Unfortunately, in my house, it's....PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIMEPEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIMEPEANUT BUTTER JELLYPEANUT BUTTER JELLYPEANUT BUTTER JELLY WITH A BASEBALL BAThttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4

liamkelly
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by liamkelly » Thu May 31, 2007 12:46 pm

Damn 'can't-get-these-non-vocal-hooks-out-of-my-head' .. hmm..60s - Satisfaction (Stones), Cocaine (JJ Cale), Wild Thing (Troggs)70s - Sweet Home Alabama (Skynyrd), Smoke on the Water (Purple), Staying Alive (Bee Gees) Another Brick In The Wall (Floyd)80s - Chariots of Fire (Vangelis) Blue Monday (New Order), With or Without You (U2) Jump (Van Halen)90s - Sweet Child Of Mine (Guns n Roses) Fast Car (Tracy Chapman) Where Is My Mind (Pixies) Beachball (Nalin & Kane)00s - Clocks (Coldplay) - go look it up, you know you know it - Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) - unforgettingly annoying bass riff - All These That I Have Done (The Killers) - Stan (Eminem) also supremely irritating and stick in your head.

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:57 pm

Schoenberg's greatest Hits.Whipcrackaway Doris Day.Don't Push Grannie While She's Shaving. Trad.(probably jeffe)