Songwriters and solitude.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Songwriters and solitude.

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:05 am

Is is just me or is this a common thing among creative minds?A good number of people I know like to be around people all of the time. My father lives in constant noise. Radio or TV on even when he sleeps, and if it goes off, the silence wakes him up!Very often I like to go to places on my own where there is little or no noise at all. My mind is constantly ticking and songs and ideas seem to flow all the time, and it seems the only way I can re-charge my energy is to completely cut myself of from everything.It's feels like a major relief.Anybody else like this?If not. What do you do to clear your mind for your creative pursuits?
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

jbeck
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Songwriters and solitude.

Post by jbeck » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:20 am

I can relate to that...Even though I am very outgoing and have a lot of friends I tend to crave some kind of quiet sanctuary when writing, almost as if my mind needs space to lay out all the music I'm hearing in my head.Some of my writing buddies say they write stuff all the time in the midst of noise and chaos. I guess no two creative minds are exactly alike. But I do seem to get a lot of creative ideas while I'm around a bunch of people and busyness. That's when I look like a total fool scrambling for something to write on. jbeck

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:46 am

Quote:Is is just me or is this a common thing among creative minds?A good number of people I know like to be around people all of the time. My father lives in constant noise. Radio or TV on even when he sleeps, and if it goes off, the silence wakes him up!Very often I like to go to places on my own where there is little or no noise at all. My mind is constantly ticking and songs and ideas seem to flow all the time, and it seems the only way I can re-charge my energy is to completely cut myself of from everything.It's feels like a major relief.Anybody else like this?If not. What do you do to clear your mind for your creative pursuits?Absolutely, I'm a solitude sort of person. If there's too many people around, I long to get away after a very short time. I create best late at night when all is quiet, or in the early morning after a long walk Oh... but I just remembered... I do enjoy cafe writing... as long as it's not too noisy. My local haunt has a lovely gas fireplace... and big chairs. I often write there.... and sometimes even nod off
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:22 am

Oh good. It's not just me then. Any more for anymore.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:32 am

Quote:What do you do to clear your mind for your creative pursuits?I do Transcedental Meditation. Been doing it since I was about 20. It's amazing how after 20-25 minutes of T.M. your mind feels like you've slept 8 hours!Ern

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:40 am

Quote:Quote:What do you do to clear your mind for your creative pursuits?I do Transcedental Meditation. Been doing it since I was about 20. It's amazing how after 20-25 minutes of T.M. your mind feels like you've slept 8 hours!Ern Hey... I used to do TM.. I still do once in a while. I am still superstitious about not telling anyone my mantra, though I am told it's based on your date of birth and no big mystery.Sometimes when I can't fall asleep I chant my mantra.P.S. My wife thinks her mantra would be "shopping"... Casey

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:32 am

Do you need peace and quiet for the meditation? Or can you shut the world out?

horacejesse
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by horacejesse » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:41 am

Quote:It's amazing how after 20-25 minutes of T.M. your mind feels like you've slept 8 hoursI can't stand my foul breath and matted hair after TM.

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:18 pm

Quote:Quote:It's amazing how after 20-25 minutes of T.M. your mind feels like you've slept 8 hoursI can't stand my foul breath and matted hair after TM.I can picture it now!Foul breath and matted hair?Do you tend to find days go missing whilst deep in trance? I think I prefer a long walk.

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Quote:Is is just me or is this a common thing among creative minds?A good number of people I know like to be around people all of the time. My father lives in constant noise. Radio or TV on even when he sleeps, and if it goes off, the silence wakes him up!Very often I like to go to places on my own where there is little or no noise at all. My mind is constantly ticking and songs and ideas seem to flow all the time, and it seems the only way I can re-charge my energy is to completely cut myself of from everything.It's feels like a major relief.Anybody else like this?If not. What do you do to clear your mind for your creative pursuits?I think you have a fair point about songwriters and solitude. I would venture to guess that many songwriters are introverts, and they need time to charge their batteries. Not saying that all are, but it seems to be a common theme. Because they are introverts (which isn't a bad thing, imo), this makes them very observant and aware people, a common trait of good songwriters.I am sort of a mixture of both....sometimes, I am very outgoing and want to be a around people at parties and gatherings, while other times, I like my down time. I need a few days alone so I can write better as well. Christmas time can be a difficult time for me to write because I'm constantly around family and friends.....everyone gets together around the holidays. I get fussy after a while, even grouchy if I'm spread too thin, and when I can't write, I get grouchier still.