Sonoma DAW

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Sonoma DAW

Post by ernstinen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:11 am

I was just read this in MIX magazine: NEW High PerformanceDSD Multitrack Sonoma Computer Platform Announced!Its recording technology is far beyon the 24-bit/192kHz standard, resulting in "a completely different character. It's a 1-bit sigma delta system running at 2.8 million bits a second and focusing on the accuracy of sonic informantion in the time domain rather than the dynamic aspect of multi-disc PCM systems. I think that's much more true to the way we hear as humans." ~~ Gus Skinas"Gus built the first 32-track Sonoma recently," producer Dik Dernell explains, "and he knew I was getting ready to do this project, so he said 'Why don't you do it on the Sonoma?' I told him I loved the idea but that I'd need more than 32 tracks because I was going to record a full orchestra, so he put two of them together. I simultaneously cut the basic tracks to Sonoma and to 2-inch tape on a Studer 24-track A827. Then we A/B'd the two of them, several engineers and myself, and they both sounded wonderful so we decieded to do the whole album on Sonoma. It's so nice to have a digital system that has the sonic quality of analog, and you could hear the difference."*************************************Questions: 1. How much does this Sonoma system cost?2. If the Studer sounded the same, why not use that?Always looking for ways to make digital sound like analog! Ern

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sonoma DAW

Post by matto » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:35 am

Quote:If the Studer sounded the same, why not use that?Perhaps this "Sonoma DAW" has a hidden tap somewhere which dispenses a fine Sonoma Valley Cab?

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 am

Quote:I was just read this in MIX magazine: NEW High PerformanceDSD Multitrack Sonoma Computer Platform Announced!Its recording technology is far beyon the 24-bit/192kHz standard, resulting in "a completely different character. It's a 1-bit sigma delta system running at 2.8 million bits a second and focusing on the accuracy of sonic informantion in the time domain rather than the dynamic aspect of multi-disc PCM systems. I think that's much more true to the way we hear as humans." ~~ Gus Skinas"Gus built the first 32-track Sonoma recently," producer Dik Dernell explains, "and he knew I was getting ready to do this project, so he said 'Why don't you do it on the Sonoma?' I told him I loved the idea but that I'd need more than 32 tracks because I was going to record a full orchestra, so he put two of them together. I simultaneously cut the basic tracks to Sonoma and to 2-inch tape on a Studer 24-track A827. Then we A/B'd the two of them, several engineers and myself, and they both sounded wonderful so we decieded to do the whole album on Sonoma. It's so nice to have a digital system that has the sonic quality of analog, and you could hear the difference."*************************************Questions: 1. How much does this Sonoma system cost?2. If the Studer sounded the same, why not use that?Always looking for ways to make digital sound like analog! Ern Shouldn't this be in the Music Trivia section?

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Here's some more wine, er, information:It looks like Telarc, Sony, and Philips are involved in this.http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Telarc.htmErn

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm

SDS is not new, Ern. Sony first showed a unit that used it at AES NY several years ago - I believe it was 1999 - and the format was developed before that. The idea is that they record the 1-bit signal rather than using PCM. It has problems for production, starting with it not being possible to edit it.I personally hope it doesn't catch on as a production format, because it will mean throwing everything away and starting over yet again. And I don't think it's going to, frankly.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:58 pm

Quote:SDS is not new, Ern. Sony first showed a unit that used it at AES NY several years ago - I believe it was 1999 - and the format was developed before that. The idea is that they record the 1-bit signal rather than using PCM. It has problems for production, starting with it not being possible to edit it.I personally hope it doesn't catch on as a production format, because it will mean throwing everything away and starting over yet again. And I don't think it's going to, frankly.Hey Nick,Well what caught my attention was that the article (By Bud Scoppa) DID say "the Sonoma multitrack workstation -- has all the editing and mixing capabilites of a normal digital work station." So I agree that if it's just another hi-end digital recorder rivaling a Studer soundwise, that would not be enough, but if its recording technology is "far beyond the 24-bit/192kHz standard," AND it has editing and mixing capabilities, holy cow!I still wonder How much $$$$$$$$$??? Ern

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:24 am

Okay Ern, I emailed the company and here is what Gus had to say.Hello Ed,Sony Music has multitracks in New York and Japan. Lookout Studios in White Fish Montana has a multitrack. James Ogilvee (jimmeko@earthlink.net) has a studio in Denton Texas with a multitrack. Les Paul has one in his New Jersey studio. Telarc Records has several. We rent and sell Sonoma systems too. Here's the info:Sales: http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Products.htm (Then click on Pricing and Configurations for the prices)Rentals: http://www.superaudiocenter.com/Services.htm
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:14 am

Looking back at my post, I didn't mean to dis SDS totally - I just don't want to throw out all my stuff yet again. SDS might be great as a release format - if anyone wants it, given that compressed formats are what everyone's using today. But the last thing I want to do is complain about something that sounds better.Also, there's editing and there's processing. My brain meant "processing" and my fingers typed "editing."

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:16 am

The other thing is that there are arguments on both sides. Some programmers don't think SDS is better - and this isn't some head-in-the-sand "global warming is a liberal plot by Al Gore" type of thing, it's rational.Oops - did I just write that?!

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:45 am

So we should all plan to switch to Sonoma when we see al gore rationally warming his head in the sand.... Did I get the gist of that right?
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin