Soothe 2 and Gulfoss. Any users?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Soothe 2 and Gulfoss. Any users?

Post by lesmac » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:43 am

These two plugins are high on my list but I definitely need to wait for a sale.

Any users out there and did you get them on sale? I don't know if I can wait till
December.. I'm hoping there will be some summer sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJWOf7eZHew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZK_LAtecE

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Soothe 2 and Gulfoss. Any users?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 am

I have Gullfoss.

Highly recommend it. There is a good demo / review on Sanjay C's Youtube channel and there was a discount code although I don't know if it expires yet.

It's one of those things you can just add on very quickly to a mix or a buss or a track and within 10 seconds it sounds better and more balanced. It's also a good learning tool as you can see what it's doing which can inform your own mix decisions as you start to understand more about the changes it's made and why they sound better.

I've not tried Soothe , I hear they are kinda similar but I don't have any experience with it.

Mark

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:25 am

I have soothe, and slap it on all my groups. It mainly gets used for resonance clean-up, whereas Gullfoss is more for EQ'ing, from what I have gathered, though I suppose both plugins may give similar results
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 am

I've been eye-ing both of these as well, lol. The other one I've been waffling over is trackspacer by wavesfactory. Kinda along the same lines as the other two mentioned.

Andrew

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:43 am

ResonantTone wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:34 am
I've been eye-ing both of these as well, lol. The other one I've been waffling over is trackspacer by wavesfactory. Kinda along the same lines as the other two mentioned.
Trackspacer is a different beast really, It makes space for a lead track by intelligently applying subtractive EQ filter to the backing tracks.

Gullfoss is a harmonic balancer, so it can suppress unwanted resonances and also pull up lost detail by applying a constantly changing EQ curve

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:30 am
I have Gullfoss.

Highly recommend it. There is a good demo / review on Sanjay C's Youtube channel and there was a discount code although I don't know if it expires yet.

It's one of those things you can just add on very quickly to a mix or a buss or a track and within 10 seconds it sounds better and more balanced. It's also a good learning tool as you can see what it's doing which can inform your own mix decisions as you start to understand more about the changes it's made and why they sound better.

I've not tried Soothe , I hear they are kinda similar but I don't have any experience with it.
Thanks Mark, its still on for another 2 days so I guess this one was meant to be. I might jump on it this afternoon and wait until Soothe is discounted. I have downloaded the trial version..[getting engaged..soon to be married]. :lol:

Thanks Marco and Andrew for the replies.
by ResonantTone » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 am
I've been eye-ing both of these as well, lol. The other one I've been waffling over is trackspacer by wavesfactory.
I have been wondering about Trackspacer too.

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by superkons » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:34 am

Pleasure, Lester!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 am

lesmac wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:53 pm

Thanks Mark, its still on for another 2 days so I guess this one was meant to be. I might jump on it this afternoon and wait until Soothe is discounted. I have downloaded the trial version..[getting engaged..soon to be married]. :lol:
Cool, yes ..all I tend to do is put the Recover & Tame between 30-40%....and that's it !

Sometimes if it's a bit too bright I'll dial back brighten setting ...Sounds good on a whole mix if you put it on toward the end once you have it as best you can. Other times it's a quick problem solver especially on live instruments where you might get some sort of resonance it can deal with.

Mark

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 am

Cool, yes ..all I tend to do is put the Recover & Tame between 30-40%....and that's it !

Sometimes if it's a bit too bright I'll dial back brighten setting ...Sounds good on a whole mix if you put it on toward the end once you have it as best you can. Other times it's a quick problem solver especially on live instruments where you might get some sort of resonance it can deal with.

Mark
Yup! Put it on a track I've been working on for too long with roughly those settings. It did the job straight away!
As you say it's a great tool for finding out stuff too, and maybe EQ-ing further back in the mix. It's a bit like having another set of speakers to reference to. It doesn't appear to be a CPU hog either considering the amount of calculations going on in the background.

Anyway, I sealed the deal and got the discount. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

Surfer EQ is another plugin I see mentioned a bit that might be like Soothe.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:27 pm

lesmac wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 am
Surfer EQ is another plugin I see mentioned a bit that might be like Soothe.
Yeah it totally makes sense to me in theory does surfer EQ ..not tried it yet though. Be sure to post if you do.