Committed Musician

Sound Anthemic To You?

Post by johndalenow » Thu May 13, 2021 7:13 pm

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Sound Anthemic To You?

Post by Zaychi » Fri May 14, 2021 5:31 am

No, not really... the background texture may not be too bad, but the melody synths in the front sound really dated/cheap, and their melodies remind me more of a waiting cue for a call centre employee to be available or an infomercial about gardening equipment, rather than a nailbiting action scene.

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Fri May 14, 2021 6:04 am

John, the synth sounds are not cutting it at all. That square wave synth lead.... It's like someone is pulling riffs from a slot machine. :) The string sounds that come in at around 1:03 are especially dated sounding. The ending is too abrupt. What's the actual listing and what are the reference tracks given for this one? It would help to know what they're looking for in terms of "anthemic".

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri May 14, 2021 6:38 am

Hi JDM, sorry to join the throng but I agree with the comments so far about the dated sounds. I'm only adding my voice in hope that it helps you to know that the palette of sounds you're using here is unlikely to work for the vast proportion of Taxi listings. They might be handy if you're doing retro early synth tracks, but for anything less than 30+ years old they're not going to be at all competitive. I'm sorry if it comes across as harsh to say these things but at least once you know you can choose what to do about them. Perhaps its time to explore some more adventurous virtual instrument possibilities, and I hope you have fun finding out about them.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri May 14, 2021 10:27 am

More anemic than anthemic :shock:

I'm going to go slightly against the consensus as I'm not even so sure it's the sounds..most of them sound pretty viable to me if only used in the right way. I could be wrong but I get the impression you don't listen to current music...because if you did I don't think this is what you'd come up with.

For me the problem lies deeper than just superficial sounds. After all , you can make contemporary tracks using decades old synths and drum machines...many are sought after for their sound. What's changed is the way we write, mix and produce and I think that lies at the heart of your ongoing problems.

I think your next steps should be a deep dive into some really good production tutorials. That can vary depending on the style of music, I always recommend sync academy because it relates directly to what we are trying to achieve here and has 100+ hours of tutorials across multiple genres and I think there is a money back guarantee so you can't lose really.

Mark

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Sun May 16, 2021 4:24 am

Somewhat going with Cosmic Dolphin on this one. It's possible those sounds could be made anthemic but it is the case that they don't sound modern. I've just joined the forum again recently and haven't seen the listing but I did like the intro and it's length. The crash cymbals played in a silent vacuum as a transition after the first section didn't work for me at all especially because they sound fake. But what you were doing with the rising pitch and panning to create activity in the first section could actually be effective depending. The drum fill was also nice at the end of the first section. The next section after the transition just became a mishmash of mud and scratch. No balance in instrumental timbres to my ears. Some frequencies had a giant hole and others were over full. There was something nice about the keyboard's chord rhythm about 75% of the way through the piece. I didn't like the violin patch but it's rising line could have been effective. I also didn't like the lonely bass drum stomps at the end.