Sound banks from the web, downloading to Protools

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Rosewinters4

Sound banks from the web, downloading to Protools

Post by Rosewinters4 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Hey all! I've been producing for years but I have some serious newbie gaps in my knowledge. For example, I have Protools and have only ever used their virtual instrument sound banks. I now am ready to (gasp) expand my horizons. It all came down to a calliope. I couldn't find the sound. Protools didn't have one. I even searched the web. No luck. So, my brilliant friends, how do I add sound banks to my daw? I recently saw a Taxi TV where they discussed free sound banks. But how do I get them to talk to Protools? Sorry, I know this is a beginner question. I am just confused.

Kind of embarrassed, but trusting in my Taxi friends. This is my first time on a forum too. God I feel old!
Have an awesome day!
Rose

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sound banks from the web, downloading to Protools

Post by lesmac » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:59 pm

You need another virtual instrument like this one;

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -download/

Then search for libraries of sounds that are compatible to use with it. It comes loaded with some freebies.

It runs in Pro Tools as a 3rd party plugin. All Pro Tools plugins are AAX so make sure when you download any plugs that you install the AAX at least.

You can do a search of compatible plugins for Pro Tools. There are a lot of great free ones out there. Just do a back up of your system before you install anything so you can wind back if the plugins somehow cause any trouble. It's not really a common occurrence, more of a safe practice.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:48 pm

Kontakt is probably one of the most popular VST instruments as there are tons and tons of additional Libraries for it. There is a free Kontakt Player which will run some of them whilst others require the full paid for edition which is available in different bundles. Some Kontakt Libraries are free, some cost many hundreds and many are somewhere inbetween. Just buying the most expensive ones won't guarantee it will sound great though as you have to learn to play them and use the expression controllers to make them sound more real and alive.

There are other platforms as well , Sampletank for example is popular or you can go for Omnisphere which comes with tons of instrument sounds spanning multiple genres although is is quite expensive it's pretty vast in scope.

A lot of it will come down to the genres of music you want to make as well.

Mark

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:27 pm

CTWF wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:41 pm
Those are cheapy solutions for people with lots of returns, such as me. :) I am sure the Kontakt-thingy is 10^6-times better.
Yeah you can do it on the cheap I guess but in the long run you are using up valuable time that is needed to stay productive , and if the sounds are not good enough then it's false economy anyway as you're paying to be a member and paying to submit.

The right tools for the job is what you need.
Last edited by cosmicdolphin on Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosewinters4

Post by Rosewinters4 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:27 am

WOW! Thank you, guys, this is exactly what I need! Can't wait to dive in
xoxo

Rose