SoundCloud... should I renew?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: SoundCloud... should I renew?

Post by funsongs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:05 am

Whew!
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:42 am

Well SoundCloud dodges a bullet and gets a stay of execution. Time will tell how long they're able to stay solvent after this bailout, and who might buy them down the stretch now that the old founder / CEO had to step aside (and it seems like he was a vocal opponent to selling his company). Watch Google or some media giant purchase this thing in about a year.

For me personally, I didn't renew my Pro membership. I still could at any point though, and everything will still be there. I think I'm gonna send my money to Reelcrafter, as it seems a little more sleek and streamlined, and doesn't utilize any of the social media nonsense that drives me crazy.

~~Matt

davekropf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by davekropf » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

VanderBoegh wrote:Well SoundCloud dodges a bullet and gets a stay of execution. Time will tell how long they're able to stay solvent after this bailout, and who might buy them down the stretch now that the old founder / CEO had to step aside (and it seems like he was a vocal opponent to selling his company). Watch Google or some media giant purchase this thing in about a year.

For me personally, I didn't renew my Pro membership. I still could at any point though, and everything will still be there. I think I'm gonna send my money to Reelcrafter, as it seems a little more sleek and streamlined, and doesn't utilize any of the social media nonsense that drives me crazy.

~~Matt
I think (hope) this has been a real wakeup call for SoundCloud. It was a huge misstep to try and go toe-to-toe with Spotify, Pandora, and Apple Music in the realm of commercial music. They should embrace and pour resources into what they do well: being a streaming platform for independent audio content producers.

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:01 pm

right on!