Sounds Online big sale

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Sounds Online big sale

Post by Cruciform » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm

thesongcabinet wrote:I own both Komplete 6 and Kore 2 with a bunch of expansions, but use them less and less, because I personally find the Spectrasonics stuff often outperforms them sonically, and are easier to work with in my daw. You may find the opposite true for you, though.
'S funny how it works. I find Kore 2 in conjunction with Komplete 6 so powerful for creating my own sounds that I decided not to buy Omnisphere. :) And the Kore controller operating "The Finger"...!!!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 pm

Cruciform wrote:
thesongcabinet wrote:I own both Komplete 6 and Kore 2 with a bunch of expansions, but use them less and less, because I personally find the Spectrasonics stuff often outperforms them sonically, and are easier to work with in my daw. You may find the opposite true for you, though.
'S funny how it works. I find Kore 2 in conjunction with Komplete 6 so powerful for creating my own sounds that I decided not to buy Omnisphere. :) And the Kore controller operating "The Finger"...!!!
Yes, I think they are all great, but some seem to get their own identity in our studio's.. funny thing fo sure ;)
Ceo of my own life

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:34 pm

Cruciform wrote:[And the Kore controller operating "The Finger"...!!!
+1 to this! Here's another one, take a midi drum track to Battery. I think I used a Toontrack EZD Pop Rock midi loop the other day, real old and used ya know...tired... and let Battery play it. You can get in there are morph stuff, lots of kits!!! Lots of sounds!! All from a basic midi. I think it wound up sounding better than either SD or AD! Just sayin'...
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:32 pm

FWIW, until the end of this month Big Fish Audio has Basis, their bass virtual instrument, on sale for half off ($149.97 right now). This is a Kontakt Player instrument which comes with the Player, so you don't need Kontakt full version.

This has been my go to bass instrument for about 2 years now, and it's quite outstading with substantial scripting to "automatically" make bass parts more realistic with minimal effort. While I don't believe it to be quite as good as Trillian (certainly its Upright Bass is no match for Trillian's), it is *very* good; so good in fact that so far I haven't been tempted to buy Trillian ;) . The electric and fretless basses are deeply sampled and like Trillian you can blend direct and amp sound. The scripting is very good with note off and performance noises, humanization etc automatically added (you can control their level/intensity) to make for very organic tracks, and overall the instruments are quite CPU friendly and not too RAM hungry either; I think in these categories it would beat Trillian from what I'm hearing.
It has a very respectable Upright and a good number of very nice Synth Basses as well.

I can definitely recommend this to anybody looking for great bass sounds, particularly at the current price.

So right now, with Addictive Drums and Basis both on sale for around $150, you can get a kick ass rhythm section for les than $300...pretty amazing.

DesireeBowen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DesireeBowen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:23 pm

It looks like the AD sale is over. I can find it for $200, but that is as low as I can find it for now. Does it often go for under $200, or is that considered a pretty good price? I do think I am going to get Basis. I am glad it is on sale through the end of the month. I hate making quick decisions on purchases. I get such buyer's remorse. This gives me a little more time to think about it. But, I do know that I use bass in almost every single composition so it would be an instrument I would use right away. And I like that it doesn't use a lot of memory. Apparently we have 544 GB left on our Mac OS. Funny that a year ago I was using a MacBook Pro. That thing would be toast by now if I were still using it. When we bought the Mac OS, my husband said that soon I would be wanting a Mac Pro, and I laughed him off saying that wouldn't be necessary. Guess he was right!! :) That one will have to wait for now. :)
-Desiree

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:49 am

A way to get around those memory issues, Desiree, is to record the Vi track over to an audio track, keep the midi track, but delete the vi. Then you have the audio to work with, you still have the midi, you can pull out the vi again if you need to re-record, but you don't have it on using up all the cpu resources. I do this all the time, and find it easier to mix with audio tracks as well. It's just like you would do, if you had a bunch of instruments in a home studio.
Ceo of my own life

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by t4mh » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:47 am

matto wrote:FWIW, until the end of this month Big Fish Audio has Basis, their bass virtual instrument, on sale for half off ($149.97 right now). This is a Kontakt Player instrument which comes with the Player, so you don't need Kontakt full version.
Thanks for this Matto! I've never checked this company out before, but as far as the bass goes, I'm thinking I'll probably pull the trigger on this one! I'll have to consider the other titles as I have time and need.
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:36 am

DesireeBowen wrote:It looks like the AD sale is over. I can find it for $200, but that is as low as I can find it for now. Does it often go for under $200, or is that considered a pretty good price?
Looks like these guys have it on sale thru the end of this month:
http://www.floridamusicco.com/proddetai ... eneric.htm

[Edit:] Hold it, this is even better:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... bAodN1ep8A

Doesn't say when the sale will end, but it seems to be valid as of now, at least it let me add it to the cart...

alek
Active
Active

Post by alek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:15 am

DesireeBowen, if you'd like to hear how EWQL strings sound, have a listen to this piece:

http://www.looperman.com/tracks_detail.php?tid=68766

as for me they sound too classical and cold, there is no life in it.
I use them not often, and prefer old Edirol Orchestral (it's more easy and never has bugs)

DesireeBowen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DesireeBowen » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:34 pm

Ok that AD deal is awesome.

I am thinking AD: $99 and Basis: $150. For now. Goliath is on sale today for $198 and I am tempted to add that in as well.....
-Desiree