source for Reference Tracks

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

source for Reference Tracks

Post by myk247365 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:50 pm

I use reference tracks to mix/master my tracks. Since joining Taxi, I've been stretching into areas where I don't own a lot of CDs in these various genres. I'm wonder what other Taxi members think of using mp3(AAC) vs WAV or AIFF(PCM) files? Seems all the online content is compressed with AAC or some similar codec. Do these references give you as good a result? I tend to prefer PCM encoded files for such purposes, but I don't want to go out and buy a CD for a single reference track when I may only have a passing interest in the genre/artist. Are there sources for WAV or AIFF files of popular music? I've asked in Apple's support forum but have not received a response yet. Anybody have other suggestions?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: source for Reference Tracks

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:26 pm

myk247365 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:50 pm
Do these references give you as good a result?
Using a file with lossy compression as reference is not ideal but in the real world it's not possible to have a lossless file of everything you need , so a compressed file is better than no file

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:09 pm

myk247365 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:50 pm
I use reference tracks to mix/master my tracks. Since joining Taxi, I've been stretching into areas where I don't own a lot of CDs in these various genres. I'm wonder what other Taxi members think of using mp3(AAC) vs WAV or AIFF(PCM) files? Seems all the online content is compressed with AAC or some similar codec. Do these references give you as good a result? I tend to prefer PCM encoded files for such purposes, but I don't want to go out and buy a CD for a single reference track when I may only have a passing interest in the genre/artist. Are there sources for WAV or AIFF files of popular music? I've asked in Apple's support forum but have not received a response yet. Anybody have other suggestions?
I use mp3 or whatever the audio on the youtube reference is all the time. Should not be an issue. You want to check out the feel, sounds and structure of the material and any of the references posted by Taxi for me so far has been sufficient in quality.
Cheers,
Matt

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:19 pm

MBantle wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:09 pm
You want to check out the feel, sounds and structure of the material
I agree - this is more important than audio fidelity

myk247365
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by myk247365 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm

Ok, good to know. I've been using MatchEQ in Logic and was wondering if I'm getting a real world comparison. BTW, I got a reply from someone in the Apple community:

"The iTunes Store only sells AAC/256 downloads. However, lossless and hi-def tracks are available for download from Beatport.com, JunoDownload.com, HDTracks.com, etc."

So I'm off to look at those to see what's available.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:14 pm

myk247365 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm
Ok, good to know. I've been using MatchEQ in Logic and was wondering if I'm getting a real world comparison. BTW, I got a reply from someone in the Apple community:

"The iTunes Store only sells AAC/256 downloads. However, lossless and hi-def tracks are available for download from Beatport.com, JunoDownload.com, HDTracks.com, etc."

So I'm off to look at those to see what's available.
Why don't you simply use the reference tracks provided by Taxi (i.e. the youtube sound)?
Cheers,
Matt

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:19 am

myk247365 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:42 pm
Ok, good to know. I've been using MatchEQ in Logic and was wondering if I'm getting a real world comparison.
The problem that I have with MatchEQ and other similar plugins is that if you're not careful you start trying to match your song too much like the eq curve of your reference track . Resulting cluttered frequency mix. Remember that you're song will not be using the same sounds as your reference. So trying to match the frequency curve exactly may cause your mix to sound worse.

You're way better off using your ears to see how your lows, mids and highs compare to the reference. I've been using Tonal Balance Control by Izatope to get a head start on where my mix should generally be. Then if needed I'll adjust it to get close to my references. It's helped me save a ton of time mixing.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:36 am

guscave wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:19 am
. Remember that you're song will not be using the same sounds as your reference.
And possibly in a different key with different fundamental frequencies

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 pm

I agree and I would rather recommend something like Tonal Balance from Izotope where you can check whether your mix has a similar Tonal Balance as the reference but a different key and different instrumentation will quickly lead to an 'apples and oranges' situation. The subtle last 2% of accurateness most of the time do not 'decide the war'. Usability, a good arrangement/arc, whether the track has the same feel etc. are far more important IMO and I have not come across a match-plugin that can check or do that :lol:
My five cents.
Cheers,
Matt

RickBourassa
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RickBourassa » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 pm

I have been using YouTube and Spotify for reference tracks, and recording them into a separate track in my Logic session. I installed the SoundFlower audio driver. It allows you to set the system sound output to a channel that you can use as an input into your Logic session. The cool part about this is that it allows me to level match with my track and do quick A/B comparisons.

https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflo ... /tag/2.0b2

I am not sure if there is something similar for Windows.