Spaghetti Western Forward

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RiffKitten

Spaghetti Western Forward

Post by RiffKitten » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 am

Hey all!

After being in a rut of returns lately, yesterday I had my 'favorite' forward. I've written stuff for TAXI before that I'd felt really good about, only to feel blindsided by a return with advice that I hadn't considered (almost always helpful/constructive advice). For this request, I felt 100% good about the track that I created, but didn't get my hopes up too high due to past experiences.

It was a forward! And of all the tracks that I've made for TAXI listings, I'm extra pleased that this one made it through. I've always loved Western film soundtracks and had a blast making this one.

If anyone wants to hear it: https://www.taxi.com/members/Y5pvjOVZR2 ... ie-s-pride

I'm also curious to hear from some other TAXI members - do you lower your expectations for TAXI submissions? Do you gradually get more confident in your submissions as you learn to better hone in on what's needed? Maybe that's a silly questions, but I'm still in a place where I'm sometimes surprised what gets rejected and what makes it through.

Lots of SPAGHETTI WESTERN INSTRUMENTALS are needed URGENTLY by a very active and fast-growing Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for BIG TV Commercials.

This client is looking for Instrumentals in the general stylistic range of the following examples, which we got directly from the client:

"The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" by Ennio Morricone

"The Grand Duel - Parte prima" by Luis Bacalov

"A Fistful Of Dollars" by Ennio Morricone

"Main Theme From The Magnificent Seven" by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra

Please submit well-composed Instrumentals that capture the classic sound of Spaghetti Western movies! Captivating "Old West" motifs, galloping rhythms, and solid arrangements with plenty of dynamics, interest, and forward momentum are all needed for this request. Typical Spaghetti Western instrumentation that falls in the general wheelhouse of the references will work best for this opportunity – think strings, brass, twangy electric guitars, harmonica, whistling, etc. Get creative and have a lot of fun with this listing. Your productions need to be solid, and any virtual instruments or samples you use need to be high-quality and realistic sounding.

Your Instrumentals should be 2.5 to 3 minutes in length (give or take), give or take. Non-faded, Button/Stinger endings will work best for this request. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

WSAO
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Spaghetti Western Forward

Post by WSAO » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:21 pm

Really good song!
Perfectly fits the listing.
Hopefully we'll hear it in a movie.
Well done.
In regards my experience so far with Taxi (I just started this year) I would say still full of surprises.
My first submissions were songs that were ready and not close to the references but I just sent them to have a feedback for the general production. Although all of them were returns there was no complaining about the quality or production so I started to compose specific for the listings and then I had forwards.
it's hard to understand sometimes. Like, two weeks ago I submit two songs for a drumline listing. My favourite returned and the other was forwarded.
And last week 2 songs for kids, again my favourite of them returned and the other was forwarded.
Most of the feedbacks are clear and you understand why it was refused but some of them is hard to deal.
Anyway you can always improve and try it again in another listing or library.
This forum is excellent source of info as have some guys with tons of experience in the business.
Good luck with your next submissions!
Andre

macomposer
Active
Active

Post by macomposer » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:24 pm

Great piece uh... RiffKitten... :lol:

I love this style of music and was just listening to some Morricone earlier today - this fits in perfectly!!!! Congratulations!

I wouldn't say that I've lowered my expectations with Taxi... I did maybe feel that way a bit years ago when I was first getting started...

I would say now though that Taxi pretty much mimics the industry for me. You get a lot of no's, and that makes you really scrutinize your chops (the music) and your ear (the production). If you roll with it, you start to get to a place where you more close know if what you're doing is on par or not. (I'll drive myself crazy over small details that I'm sure the screener will hear and I'll be returned and ruined. Ruined You Hear!!! :? But I then calm down and breathe.) You just want to as critical as the industry requires, and for the most part, Taxi does a good job of helping with that, although painful sometimes.

- Mark
Mark Anthony Chubb
https://www.taxi.com/my/artist
markanthonychubb.com

RiffKitten

Post by RiffKitten » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 pm

Thanks guys for your input - glad you liked the Western piece! I don't want to jinx it, but I actually heard from a sync agent for it yesterday. It'll be in an upcoming pitch. My fingers are crossed, and many prayers have been sent. I'm doing my best to take it in stride, because I've been disappointed before, but if something were to happen, it would be incredibly meaningful and validating for me. While I'm new-ish to TAXI, I've been making music for a good while, and I know how easy it is to get over-excited before the payoff. But for now, it's looking good :D At the very least, I'll be celebrating a new industry connection made this week..

It's really interesting to hear your subjective experiences with TAXI. It's a bit of a roller-coaster, even though I try to be Zen about receiving those TAXI Listing Results emails :lol:

Overall, though, it's really been a GOOD ride so far - like you say, TAXI reflects the industry, and the standard is really high, so I'm also always learning as I go.

Andrew (although Riff Kitten is cool too, either / or)

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am

RiffKitten wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:39 am
Hey all!

After being in a rut of returns lately, yesterday I had my 'favorite' forward. I've written stuff for TAXI before that I'd felt really good about, only to feel blindsided by a return with advice that I hadn't considered (almost always helpful/constructive advice). For this request, I felt 100% good about the track that I created, but didn't get my hopes up too high due to past experiences.

It was a forward! And of all the tracks that I've made for TAXI listings, I'm extra pleased that this one made it through. I've always loved Western film soundtracks and had a blast making this one.

If anyone wants to hear it: https://www.taxi.com/members/Y5pvjOVZR2 ... ie-s-pride

I'm also curious to hear from some other TAXI members - do you lower your expectations for TAXI submissions? Do you gradually get more confident in your submissions as you learn to better hone in on what's needed? Maybe that's a silly questions, but I'm still in a place where I'm sometimes surprised what gets rejected and what makes it through.
I have been submitting now for 6 months, and have had some decent success with forwards, but I still have no idea if something will be forwarded or not when I submit. I believe that "reading the tea leaves" in these listings is my biggest challenge, although other way more experienced composers like Matt VB, Casey H, etc do not seem to have this same issue! It is tricky, because if I get TOO CLOSE to one of the reference tracks, it gets returned because it is "too close." If it is more of "in the spirit of" the reference tracks, it gets returned because it is too different. In any case, I listened to your track in the forwards blog, and it is really good! Congrats!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

RiffKitten

Post by RiffKitten » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:33 am

Thanks Bradley! I appreciate your kind words. Yeah, reading the tea leaves is tricky for me, too. I think I am slowly learning, though. Something I know now is how to be more realistic with what styles I can pull off, particularly regarding what's possible with my current virtual instruments. No longer do I 'try' with certain listings - I've been focusing on the ones that I have the potential to nail. I also had a tendency to jump straight into writing instead of forming a plan and methodically triangulating all of the references to come up with something new, but similar. Gotta slow my mind down if I want the forward.

Yeah, sometimes I browse the forums and I've sort of gathered that the most successful members don't just 'jump in,' but instead think things through quite a bit. It goes against the way I've always worked, but they have a point. The listings and references are king!

I checked out some of your music - I dig your stuff, especially your Rock tracks (as a former metal / rock junkie). Really nicely produced - I like the guitar tones that you've achieved.

Thanks again for checking our my Western track..

Andrew

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:32 pm

You are more than welcome, and all the best on your TAXI journey!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

JayJayStudios
Active
Active

Post by JayJayStudios » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:55 am

Nice forward, man! Congrats! I hope you get a placement. I don't know what typical ratios are for forwarding / placements.

Recently submitted to a couple of listings (all productions I did specifically for the listings, and I got many forwards, over 50% of the submissions). But so far no one really contacted me about any kind of placement. The productions are quite fresh though, so I hope I can somehow get some money back for the time invested ^^

You never know as a producer though, haha. Only teaching and giving lessons will give you a guarantee you see your time as money in the production field, hehe.

Cheers

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:14 am

YAAAS!!! This is awesome!!!

~~Matt

RiffKitten

Post by RiffKitten » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:15 am

Hey JayJay - thanks! A placement would be awesome - I hope it happens too. The hardest part of this process is the waiting, so usually I just jump into new tracks or else I would go crazy!

Congrats on over 50% forwards - that seems like a really, really good percentage. I have no doubt you'll start hearing back from some new companies about your submissions. It's just a matter of time (and a little luck, as there are probably many variables besides the music itself).

Thanks Matt! I'm glad you liked the track. It means a lot coming from someone with your experience and skill.