Spies Have All The Fun!!

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Spies Have All The Fun!!

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Hey Mazz,Cool man! I like all of the different changes the tune takes on. That distorted guitarish-like sound at the beginning is real cool. Nice effect. Simply MAHHVELOUS! Sounds like you've got another one sewed up here!ibanez468

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks ibanez, that's a Roland V-synth. It has a cool D-Beam thing that, on this patch, is set to modulate the filter frequency. You can wave your hand in the air and make the sound move a bit, it's a very nice axe. This patch was meant to emulate a TB-303 bass module, its filter was pretty squanky and the V-synth does a nice job of emulating it.Cheers,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:25 pm

Awesome! I don't think anyone else needs to submit anything.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:06 pm

Hey Mazz-Awesome job on this! It definitely sets the right mood & energy, and will almost certainly be forwarded.If I were a super-nitpicky music supervisor on this film, I might be concerned about these things:- If this track is to be a theme and not background music, the main melody line lacks punch and character - it fits the style, but I don't find it particularly memorable. Also, the [admittedly sparse] Middle-Eastern note selections betray the genre/locale.- The bass is a little too loose (bordering on sloppy) during the intro.- The sax solo is tasty, but it starts meandering and loses direction/energy at its ending.- Could use even more dynamics...I'd like to hear it get REALLY huge during the big build parts and evoke some serious energy.OTOH, I'd be pretty happy if I'd written your piece just as it is... André
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

vicky
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by vicky » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:08 pm

hey there...great...love it.....seems right on for listing....it might be a little quiet, but not much......love it...you're the greatest!!!Vicky

timmerblakely
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by timmerblakely » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm

That is just amazing. So many textures. Great song and phenomenal production.When i grow up, i want to record just like you!Timmer

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:50 pm

This is incredible...great job!www.jeffgreenleaf.com

ibanez468
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ibanez468 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Quote:When i grow up, i want to record just like you!Me too!!! (waving hand in the air, as if waiting to be called on) ibanez468

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:32 am

Thanks everyone for the positive vibes!!Andre, I took your advice and tightened up the intro, I think the synth part was a little out of sync and I move a few bass notes around and it feels better for sure, great ears, as usual!!I honestly never thought that the melody sounded Middle Eastern, I was totally in to the Harmonic Minor vibe of the jazz sound of the era (think Harlem Nocturne). The chord is basically Eminor Maj7 which does give it a more exotic vibe. Just goes to show how hard it is to hear one's own music fully!!! Given time issues, I"m going to have to let the theme stand as it is but I appreciate the feedback, I'll open my ears up more next time I do a piece. Always learning from my colleagues here!!Cheers,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:26 pm

Mazz,I just listened to your track and my track back to back. I think both work very well for the listing. If we both get forwarded maybe we can co-compose the score. ChuckPS Don't start spending the sync fees and royalties on any new gear.
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington