SPORTS ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES - Feedback =)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

SPORTS ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES - Feedback =)

Post by BradGray » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:13 pm

Happy Saturday,

I'm working on the sports rock listing, and looking for a lil' feedback. =)

21st Fight (Sports Rock Cue)

Overall the references are very different styles to my ears. The one I created was intended to be similar to the Score's track (Can't Stop Me Now) in sound and vibe, more than the others.

Questions
1) Am I on target for the listing, and sound akin to the score reference?
2) Builds interesting enough?

It's for the following listing:

Lots of HARD-HITTING, SPORTS ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Brand New Music Licensing Company started by a seasoned industry pro! They already have distribution for their catalog, and because it's a new company this is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and build a new relationship with an awesome new Music Library!

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Listing # D231018KS, but the Company didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing # D231018KS, please send different material this time around.

This Company is looking for Instrumental Cues in the general ballpark of these references:

Can't Stop Me Now

Heartbreak of the Century

Dying to Live

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this request.

Please send in top-notch, Rock Instrumental Cues bursting with tons of great energy! Your submissions should have catchy, rockin' motifs, energized rhythms, and dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward motion and interest. Rock instrumentation that's in the general wheelhouse of the reference tracks will work best for this pitch. Please be sure that your productions are polished, and that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high quality and not dated-sounding.

Your submissions should be between 2:20 and 3 minutes long. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SPORTS ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES - Feedback =)

Post by deantaylor » Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:51 am

Hey Brad,

I only do vocal songs and I am not the best judge of some aspects, like production quality and how good your instrument sounds are. However, bedtracks from my vocal songs have been used in over 1,200 sports broadcasts, pre-game shows, etc. So I have listened to alot of sports instrumental placements.

I like your track. I think you are in the ballpark of the ala. If your production quality is up to what they want, I can hear this track getting placed in sports.

Dean

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:12 am

Hi Brad
Even though I'm listening on crappy laptop speakers, I think this is a good track that would not get a forward here. Reading the listing between the lines, you see right away it's a high bar listing. They previously ran a Dispatch listing and didn't find what they were looking for and ask for "top notch". I'll come back and listen with good headphones later but I don't think my opinion would change.

The key ingredient missing here is the lack of "dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward motion and interest". Per your question, "Does it have enough build?", no.

I can't comment as to the quality of the sounds used, others can. My thought is wait until there is a call for a cue that has to be only 90 seconds, use the best of it, maybe an A-B-A format, and pitch it then. It doesn't sustain enough build for 2:30.

Best,
:D Casey

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:21 am

deantaylor wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:51 am
Hey Brad,

I only do vocal songs and I am not the best judge of some aspects, like production quality and how good your instrument sounds are. However, bedtracks from my vocal songs have been used in over 1,200 sports broadcasts, pre-game shows, etc. So I have listened to alot of sports instrumental placements.

I like your track. I think you are in the ballpark of the ala. If your production quality is up to what they want, I can hear this track getting placed in sports.

Dean
Thanks so much Dean, I appreciate the encouraging feedback!
Brad

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:29 am

Casey H wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:12 am
Hi Brad
Even though I'm listening on crappy laptop speakers, I think this is a good track that would not get a forward here. Reading the listing between the lines, you see right away it's a high bar listing. They previously ran a Dispatch listing and didn't find what they were looking for and ask for "top notch". I'll come back and listen with good headphones later but I don't think my opinion would change.

The key ingredient missing here is the lack of "dynamic arrangements with plenty of forward motion and interest". Per your question, "Does it have enough build?", no.

I can't comment as to the quality of the sounds used, others can. My thought is wait until there is a call for a cue that has to be only 90 seconds, use the best of it, maybe an A-B-A format, and pitch it then. It doesn't sustain enough build for 2:30.

Best,
:D Casey
Thanks Casey!

This was absolutely a concern of mine, but I still have some time to work on it prior to the Tuesday deadlines. Personally I always find it challenging, to say the least, to make an instrumental build and keep it moving when it needs to be at least 2:30. I can certainly look at the arrangement more, and to build the parts more effectively as it progresses, and see what I can to to make it stronger and really land properly.

I could bring in some of the layers along the way, vs so many at once, to try to build it, but do you have any other thoughts on what could help here?

Thanks again for the honest feedback,
Brad

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:25 pm

Hey Brad - I think you have a really good start here, but agree with Casey that it's not quite ready yet. I would try to add to the development by trying to change something at least every 4 bars, whether that's adding/cutting an instrument or rhythmic element, etc. Some of the synth sounds are a bit dated-sounding to me, like the one that comes in at :30. Also, maybe find a stronger melody for the stops section, at :17 and 1:02? I like the guitar sounds and overall drum groove, and the backwards section 1:54 is cool. Hope that helps a bit, and best of luck!

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:33 pm

DouglasKnight wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:25 pm
Hey Brad - I think you have a really good start here, but agree with Casey that it's not quite ready yet. I would try to add to the development by trying to change something at least every 4 bars, whether that's adding/cutting an instrument or rhythmic element, etc. Some of the synth sounds are a bit dated-sounding to me, like the one that comes in at :30. Also, maybe find a stronger melody for the stops section, at :17 and 1:02? I like the guitar sounds and overall drum groove, and the backwards section 1:54 is cool. Hope that helps a bit, and best of luck!
Thanks Douglas - appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I was worried with a distorted organ sound, even for small parts, could be too reminiscent of a '70s Deep Purple vibe. I'll see what else I can swap it out with to bring it a bit more to life. I'll also see more about strengthen the melody in those spots too, that you mentioned. And the 4 bar suggestion is something I have heard before, but I will take some time an ensure follow that flow.

Thanks!
Brad

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 am

BradGray wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:33 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:

I was worried with a distorted organ sound, even for small parts, could be too reminiscent of a '70s Deep Purple vibe. I'll see what else I can swap it out with to bring it a bit more to life. I'll also see more about strengthen the melody in those spots too, that you mentioned. And the 4 bar suggestion is something I have heard before, but I will take some time an ensure follow that flow.
Hey! I actually submitted to the same listing! In my case, I actually had a pre-existing track, here: https://www.taxi.com/members/ocDl4_2KTS ... Q-lie-2-me

Now the references in this listing, from my hearing, really vary alot. My submission is much closer to the Sevendust (one of my favorite bands!) reference, and I'm worried that it might be too "metal" for this listing. But I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I agree that the organ sound in yours takes this to another place, but there's some good ideas in there. And I'm curious, what are you using for drums?

-Jonathan
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:44 pm

JonathanE wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:41 am
BradGray wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:33 pm
DouglasKnight wrote:

Hey! I actually submitted to the same listing! In my case, I actually had a pre-existing track, here: https://www.taxi.com/members/ocDl4_2KTS ... Q-lie-2-me

Now the references in this listing, from my hearing, really vary alot. My submission is much closer to the Sevendust (one of my favorite bands!) reference, and I'm worried that it might be too "metal" for this listing. But I guess we'll see.

Yeah, I agree that the organ sound in yours takes this to another place, but there's some good ideas in there. And I'm curious, what are you using for drums?

-Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan!

I totally agree the references were pretty varied, almost different rock styles completely. I stayed closer to the Score's sound and production style. The others were Pop/Punk and metal, were rather different across the spectrum. Though the down-tuned D guitars were common between the two of them.

I probably should have updated my link. My track has changed quite a bit since this posting on the weekend. Built it up more, added and modified, and a bit of a heavier guitar in the end.

Will my end creation be close enough to what they're looking for? I'm not entirely certain... I believe so, but those references were pretty different from each other.

But I was definitely pleased with my end creation; after doing many more changes based on some of the great feedback on the above. =)

Good luck with the submission too!
Brad

JonathanE
Impressive
Impressive

Post by JonathanE » Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:33 pm

Cool! Do you have an updated link?
“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.”
https://www.taxi.com/members/jonathane
jonathan@earthenmusic.com