Spotify vs Exclusive

Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lazywallofficial

Spotify vs Exclusive

Post by lazywallofficial » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31 am

Hello everyone,
I'm new member. I have a question, sorry if it has been answered before but i tried to look for it and couldnt find it
when a listing says "This Publisher offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please make sure the Songs you submit aren’t already signed to other libraries or catalogs", does that includes spotify or youtube?
thanks in advance

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Spotify vs Exclusive

Post by MBantle » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:43 am

lazywallofficial wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:31 am
Hello everyone,
I'm new member. I have a question, sorry if it has been answered before but i tried to look for it and couldnt find it
when a listing says "This Publisher offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please make sure the Songs you submit aren’t already signed to other libraries or catalogs", does that includes spotify or youtube?
thanks in advance
This is something I am also trying to get my head around at the moment. Some publishing contracts allow for self-promotion on Itunes and Spotify but it would be great if one of the more experienced members could share their views. I put a few tracks on Spotify the other day (with my publisher's approval). Some publishers will ask you to re-ritle the tracks for self-promotion which seems rather counter-intuitive to me.
Cheers,
Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:52 pm

Many exclusive libraries are fine with you selling your music-- downloads, streams, etc. as long as it's unrelated to sync-to-video. In other words, their exclusivity is with respect to Film/TV. However, this varies from library to library/contract to contract. It is not always the case. So simply ask the library. I wouldn't NOT submit to exclusive listings. If you get contacted, ask. Be upfront about where your tunes are.

BTW, 2 very friendly Taxi exclusive libraries allow me to put the tracks on Spotify, etc.

Best of luck!
:D Casey

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:39 am

Casey H wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:52 pm
Many exclusive libraries are fine with you selling your music-- downloads, streams, etc. as long as it's unrelated to sync-to-video. In other words, their exclusivity is with respect to Film/TV. However, this varies from library to library/contract to contract. It is not always the case. So simply ask the library. I wouldn't NOT submit to exclusive listings. If you get contacted, ask. Be upfront about where your tunes are.

BTW, 2 very friendly Taxi exclusive libraries allow me to put the tracks on Spotify, etc.

Best of luck!
:D Casey
Hi Casey!
This is very helpful. Did these exclusive libraries ask you to retitle the tracks for Spotify?
Cheers,
Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:00 am

No retitling for streaming distribution. Just want to reiterate that it varies widely from library to library.

Taxi may have been following this or had calls with the question. A listing just came out for an exclusive library that includes:
IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company ONLY wants new Songs that have never been signed or distributed by anyone else. This also includes publishing/licensing agreements with CD Baby, TuneCore, DistroKid, etc.
Best
Casey :D

lazywallofficial

Post by lazywallofficial » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm

thank you very much :)

RobertElse
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RobertElse » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:20 am

I believe one crucial factor is whether you click the much-discussed "monetize my music" (or similar wording) checkbox when you sign up with Spotify (for example), which has the effect of making Spotify (or whomever) the publisher, which would conflict with your library's publishing rights.

I have seen many posts about this and it has been discussed on Taxi TV - Michael Laskow mentions it in practically every episode related to libraries and publishing.

Bottom line: don't check the box, and read the fine print.

Robert

tastebudjohnny

Post by tastebudjohnny » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:30 pm

In this discussion are we talking about the recorded performance or performances or THE song itself (original composition)?