Spreading out an album of original music among multiple libraries

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

bobadohshe
Impressive
Impressive

Spreading out an album of original music among multiple libraries

Post by bobadohshe » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 am

Hey guys,

Long time since I've posted here! I have a question that you guys seem well suited to have opinions on.

I have an album I came out with 3 years ago and I've recently decided the tracks would be of more use for me in a library or two than just on their own.

Is there protocol on whether it's cool to spread tracks between multiple libraries? I'm not talking about the SAME tracks in each library, I'm talking about this library gets these couple tracks, this library gets these other couple tracks, etc.

As of now I have 3 different libraries I can easily put them in. I just wonder if you think it would be bad form to do this or if you think one library should get them all.

Thanks.
-bobby

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Spreading out an album of original music among multiple libraries

Post by hummingbird » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:27 am

Unless there is a library that will promote your whole album, submit individual tracks to the place that is most likely to find a use for them. If one library has a ton of rock ballads, and another doesn't, submit to the one that doesn't. If one library has a brief out for ambient rock, submit your ambient rock song. JMHO.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 am

A lot of Libraries are asking for whole albums from their writers more so than just odd tracks here and there , it makes their admin more efficient and helps group similar tracks together for the end user so I can understand it.

Not sure there is a right answer, the best thing is to try and understand which Library is serving the types of shows they would be good for.

bobadohshe
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bobadohshe » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks guys. I've given thought to both of your suggestions. I think I might put the whole album with a publisher who I see hustling a lot and getting lots of placements. Thanks for the suggestions.