Starting again

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Starting again

Post by RickElliott » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:50 am

I have not been making any music for a year now.
Since I've joined, I've submitted a whole bunch of songs, got a couple forwards. I got signed to a music library (but they never placed the cue).
We moved right after I got stung by a return on a cue I really worked hard on. I know, "Waaaa! Waaa!" I don't know why this one bothered me so much. I'm not really sure that it's the reason I haven't submitted anything.
I keep finding other things to do that still support my recording endeavors, like rerouting my patch bay, etc. I practice and play all of my instruments most days.
Anyone have any advice that have worked for you in getting myself going again? This has never happened to me before.

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Starting again

Post by RickElliott » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:37 am

Ok, no excuses. I'm just going to do it. Starting today, I'm back on track.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:45 am

RickElliott wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:50 am
Anyone have any advice that have worked for you in getting myself going again? This has never happened to me before.
Find some way to make yourself accountable - Whether that's working with others or joining a group with set goals.

Keep good records and chart your progress

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:30 am

Great advice! Thanks! Nice to see you! It's been awhile lol

MarkFeil

Post by MarkFeil » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:49 am

I would strongly recommend reading "The War Of Art," by Steven Pressfield. I was in a very similar place as you several years ago, and this book really helped me to stop prevaricating and get to work. Also read the two sequels, "Do The Work," and "Turning Pro." And for good measure, read "Write, Submit, Forget, Repeat," by Dean Krippaehne. My guess is that you'll be back creating by the time you've finished "The War Of Art." The other books will help to further fuel your fire, so to speak.

RickElliott
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by RickElliott » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:33 am

Thanks for the recommendations! I love Krippaehne's books. I will pick up the ones you've suggested. BTW, I started recording and creating again yesterday. The original post was actually what kicked me in the butt to get going again. It helped to just get it out there. After I wrote and read it (yes, my own post), I said to myself, "What a whiny baby. Just do it."

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:15 am

This video just dropped from Michael Laskow's favourite Youtuber - but it may help you

https://youtu.be/Fq8a3bVYcIc?si=i7xlaTsrykANtW0A

DrewMilligan

Post by DrewMilligan » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:12 pm

Hey Rick! I feel you mate, I have just returned after a 2 year break, and I think the books and YouTube are all helpful especially if you find something that motivates you, and the rejections and struggles of submitting music are tuff
to get used to. I have been doing library music for over 20 years and I'm only now finding after my recent break that I have a different mindset now to the whole pitching thing and I have struggled as I think we all probably have at some point. The only thing I find gets you back in the groove of making music is to make music, don't wait for inspiration to strike or the right moment, just write. If what you write that day doesn't excite you then don't worry. Don't judge yourself good or bad just write. Use any tools you have at your disposal to inspire you whatever you find works for you. Just write your music and be in the moment. Enjoy :D

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 pm

Hi Rick, jsut checked out some of your stuff on Soundcloud (then bailed out when the first ad popped up). :)

Your music is good, well recorded, and certainly could be used in sync. However, I think you need to give some thought to what you want to do musically and whether or not sync is part of what brings you joy. In your Soundcloud bio you wrote "Almost all of the time I have no idea what I'm going to record before I sit at a synth. That's the beauty of it and I wouldn't have it any other way." This is 100% cool and fine, music should be what you want it to be.

But...

If you want to achieve success in sync music, that approach will not work. Sync music composers have to write to the brief, we exist to create music that fits a particular mood, and we are shooting in the dark because we rarely if ever get a chance to see the video where the music will be used. So, you need to create moods based on the descriptions that clients deliver, or that Taxi provides in the listings.

This means that you need to be able to sit down and create a particular genre, of a certain quality, in a specific timeframe. It's not about your creativity and skill, it's about delivering what the client needs. And sometimes, the client doesn't really know what they need until they hear it.

So, if you can commit do focusing on client need and writing to each brief, you can find success. It will take years to achieve, because this industry is slow and heartless and competitive and subjective. But, to my ear it sounds like you have the skills, you just need to figure out if you have the discipline to do the work as requested.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 am

Paulie wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:01 pm
"Almost all of the time I have no idea what I'm going to record before I sit at a synth. That's the beauty of it and I wouldn't have it any other way."
That is pretty much the exact opposite of how I work with libraries.

I have a brief. I have references. I've listened to them all often several times over, made notes , I've checked the key / tempo, listed the instruments , how they're played , the FX they've used, the chords , how they are structured etc.

I grab the reference tracks and load them into my DAW for A/B comparison and only then do bring up an instrument and start playing. No inspiration needed, I have a map , I know where I am going and I know how to get there and when I have to get there by.