Starting over with a clean slate....

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Starting over with a clean slate....

Post by arkjack » Sun May 20, 2007 11:09 am

After such a dismal forward record with my music submitted to Taxi, I decided to give up......I went and backed up all the old recording song data files and waves to a secondary hard drive, and wiped the working drives clean of all old recordings. So now, except for the presets and indigenous software in the equipment, there is nothing.....I figured the best way to get rid of the baggage and attachment to previous work was just to store for posterity and leave it be.It gives me a chance to think fresh and start from scratch on the production side..... hopefully jump another level in the process..... ArkJack

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Starting over with a clean slate....

Post by davewalton » Sun May 20, 2007 12:41 pm

Quote:After such a dismal forward record with my music submitted to Taxi, I decided to give up......I went and backed up all the old recording song data files and waves to a secondary hard drive, and wiped the working drives clean of all old recordings. So now, except for the presets and indigenous software in the equipment, there is nothing.....I figured the best way to get rid of the baggage and attachment to previous work was just to store for posterity and leave it be.It gives me a chance to think fresh and start from scratch on the production side..... hopefully jump another level in the process..... Believe it or not, I think there's a lot to that. After more than 20 years away from music, coming to the digital 21st century from the analog 70's and 80's wasn't easy for me.Only a few times have I used the critiques to "fix" an existing track. Mostly I used the comments to develop a new track, hopefully a little better than the previous one. Then the comments from that were used to develop another track, so on and so forth. Instead of a collection of "fixed" tracks, I have a collection of tracks that have become progressively more useful with only the most recent ones really being useful. The others were great stepping stones really. Sometimes they're kind of fun to listen to.I have a good feeling about your decision. Dave

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Starting over with a clean slate....

Post by sgs4u » Sun May 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Quote:Only a few times have I used the critiques to "fix" an existing track. Mostly I used the comments to develop a new track, hopefully a little better than the previous one. Then the comments from that were used to develop another track, so on and so forth. Instead of a collection of "fixed" tracks, I have a collection of tracks that have become progressively more useful with only the most recent ones really being useful. The others were great stepping stones really. Sometimes they're kind of fun to listen to.I have a good feeling about your decision. DaveI lost a bunch of tracks in a hard drive crash years ago. left me with only stuff I had saved to iTunes. Best thing ever for me.Cleaning the slate - is being willing to learn and create with a clear mind, and hopefully much clearer purpose. It's not quitting, it's an essential part of the growth of our craftYou, Dave, are wise, beyond your ears.