Stems vs Alt Mixes

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Rockinpop
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Stems vs Alt Mixes

Post by Rockinpop » Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:15 am

Watched TAXI TV's 1/23/23 and was confused with Craig's use of Alt-mixes.
My understanding of stems:
1. All volume levels should remain the same. I wouldn't even "0" the midi track levels, but might hide the muted midi tracks, if it bothered me. I might need to make a midi change later.
2. We should be selecting grouped parts for STEMS. All drums, All vocals, All horns, All guitars, etc...
3. Stems are easy to create, once the client tells us what they want.

But if a client is asking, in a listing, to have ALT MIXES ready, wouldn't they possibly want a completely different feel of the song with different levels throughout? Alt mixes would give them different options of the MIX, before they even start talking about stems. The different alt mixes would be completely separate files in your DAW.

STEMS would be STEMS and not an alt mix and can easily be saved as the client requests groups of parts. They would be saved under a "Stems" folder.

Just trying to clarify the definitions.
Thanks,
Ron

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Stems vs Alt Mixes

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:59 am

Hi, here's my take on things, although others might have slightly different views on some of the detail...

Stems:
Usually these would be groups of similar instruments with all levels, lengths and settings just as they were for the main mix. However, one library asked me for stems but actually wanted every individual track at main mix level, lengths and settings. Thankfully, I asked upfront, and suggest you do too if you're in that situation. Also, if you're asked for stems its most likley (but not always) because the library want to create the master version themselves, so check with them whether or not they prefer you to remove any mastering plugins (overall compression, limiting etc) and what mix level they prefer.

Alt Mixes:
Typically, libraries ask for things such as an underscore, no lead, bass and drums, no drums. I treat these just like stems, i.e. they're just different track groupings from the main mix but with same levels, lengths and settings. There might be a case for providing some variation of levels but I rarely do that - check with the library. Also, one library asks me for alternative lead parts on cues but that's rare.

Cut-downs:
Common variations on cut-down versions are 30s, 15s, 10s plus one or more 'stings' (which can be around 5-15s), but check with the library.

File Types:
Most will want .wav files but some could want .aiff. They might also ask for 24-bit 48kHz, 24-bit 44.1kHz, 16-bit 44.1kHz, or even mp3.

Summary:
As you can gather there is no one-size-fits-all, but faced with having to prep things upfront my choices based on the most common things I've been asked for would be.....
- 24-bit 48kHz .wav files
- main mix, underscore, no lead, no drums, drums and bass
- 30s and a 'sting'. However, if you've not been asked for these upfront you might miss them off until asked.

That should cover enough ground to get you at least most of the way there without a crystal ball, but make notes on your instrument groupings for alt mixes and save separate versions of the cutdowns in your DAW. That way, if there was an issue with file type or resolution for example, you could quickly recall the sessions and re-render without too much fuss. I certainly wouldn't bother trying to make every possible version in every file type and resolution though because you might not get forwarded or a library call back even if you do.

I hope that helps, but there will probably be something I've forgotten :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Rockinpop
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Rockinpop » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:24 am

Mr. Telfunkin,

Thanks for the Clarification. This is all great information.

I checked out the TAXI GLOSSARY and none of the terms you mentioned are in it. Hope someone reads this and adds the 4 missing terms to help others.

Have a great day,
Ron

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm

...and I hope you watched this too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LP3QbDdns
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

optiongripping

Post by optiongripping » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:41 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:22 pm
...and I hope you watched this too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LP3QbDdns penalty kick online
Thank you, this is very helpful!