Stinger Ending?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Stinger Ending?

Post by regardner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Hey Folks,

I received this return on S220622BL, a listing for a blues-rock instrumental: "I returned or forwarded this song because
I didn't hear the kind of sound that captured the heart and soul of the blues-rock genre or the kind of stinger ending that were requested."

I understand the first part of the critique. I indulged the wilder side of my inner Jack White, and ended up outside the parameters of the listing. The second part has me puzzled, though, because I'm under the impression that my track does, in fact, feature a stinger ending.

I assume that I am wrong about that, and I'm hoping you can tell me in what manner I have fallen short of a stinger ending.

Here's the track: https://www.taxi.com/members/1HF9RCrsTk ... -attention

Thanks,
Bob

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Stinger Ending?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:18 pm

Sounds like a stinger ending to me...it does say " the KIND of stinger ending requested"

So maybe they aren't saying there isn't one..because there is ..maybe it's just not the right type ? Without the listing and refs it's hard to tell.

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:39 pm

"Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best"

Here is the whole lisitng:

BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Top-Notch British Music Licensing Company with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Company is on the lookout for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals (or Cues) that could be found on a playlist with the references below:

"Chevrolet" by Sass Jordan

"Purify My Soul" by Bluhauz

"Superhuman" by Ferris & Sylvester

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this request.

Send them recently-recorded Instrumentals (or Cues) that capture the heart and soul of the Blues Rock genre and could work well for various TV and Film placements. Your submissions should have solid rhythms, bluesy motifs, engaging arrangements, and top-notch musicianship. You'd be wise to stick with typical Blues Rock instrumentation a la the references. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated. Crafting your pieces around a singular motif and mood, and creating a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress is recommended.

TAXI Tip: We think it would be wise to avoid guitar solos (especially in the higher registers) because they tend to be distracting or overpowering when placed under dialogue.

Your submissions should be roughly 90 Seconds long for Cues, and about 2 to 4 minutes long for Instrumentals, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Do NOT copy the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. Do not submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ Songs, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Instrumentals or Cues you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Instrumentals or Cues as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Wednesday, June 22nd, 2022. TAXI # S220622BL

TAXI # S220622BL

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:02 pm

In that case I have no idea what the Screener is on about

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:34 pm

That makes two of us.

Thanks for listening.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:56 pm

The only thing I pick up about the ending is the delay taps might be objectionable to someone seeking a "button" ending. It would be cleaner in that case to duck those on the last downbeat. JMHO on the matter.

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:16 pm

Hey Alan,

I wonder if you might be right.

I remember seeing or hearing someone say recently on Taxi TV that a composer should let the last chord ring out. The editor can chop it if they want it shorter. I started thinking, "Well, maybe I should let things ring, cymbals, delays, whatever."

That may have been a bad idea.

Are you in the Toledo area?

Bob

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:30 pm

regardner wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:16 pm
Hey Alan,

I wonder if you might be right.

I remember seeing or hearing someone say recently on Taxi TV that a composer should let the last chord ring out. The editor can chop it if they want it shorter. I started thinking, "Well, maybe I should let things ring, cymbals, delays, whatever."

That may have been a bad idea.

Bob
I think that's it. You don't have a long chord ring out, instead the cymbal rolls with the low volume echo. It's pretty picky as I can't see many libraries rejecting this as if the ending wasn't fine as is. But in the future, go with the long chord tail. If this was the only reason for return, I might ask Taxi's head screener to look at it as the listing wasn't specific about the exact nature of the stinger end. But given it wasn't the only reason, you can just make it a learning experience for next time. And that's a good thing.

:) Casey

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:50 pm

Hey Casey,

Thanks for chiming in.

I just remembered I have an MP3 saved of Michael Laskow defining a stinger ending with some examples. I recorded it off of Taxi TV, or maybe one of the virtual Road Rallys.

I just took a listen to the examples, which show that it's not necessarily the length of the chord--it can be a staccato hit, or a held one. But I'm betting that Alan is right and the delay staying on past the last hit is a no-no. The examples contain nothing like that.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:32 pm

regardner wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:16 pm
Hey Alan,

Bob
As a matter of fact, I am just outside of Toledo. I see that you're in Akron. Small world! :lol: