with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

t4mh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Strat...strange situation

Post by t4mh » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Feaker

I'm blown away with the give away! You dawg! There are loads of different pickups out there and we can have a whole discussion about them! Luv talkin Guitar! As far as the amp goes, you will probably be happier with a tube amp for "just playin" and for some stuff that you'll do with regard to TAXI. But in this business, you really need to be able to achieve a whole lot of different sounds that the tube amp may or may not be able to crank out... For most players, they find a setting that works and rarely if ever make any change to it. Without buying a whole truck load of different amps we have to model. Either software or hardware, you decide. Word to the wise, don't get rid of your Line 6.

Keith
I hear the voice of God in a bending guitar string!
Life is too important to be taken seriously
No electrons were harmed in the construction of this message.
http://www.t4mh.com

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I found this interesting review in the February Recording Magazine:

Avid Digidesign Eleven Rack | Reviewed by Fernando Curiel

A rackmount guitar interface that replaces an amp... AND a computer full of plug-ins?

"Avid’s Digidesign Eleven Rack was not designed just with the contemporary guitarist in mind; producers, audio engineers and anyone interested in digital recording and/or complete guitar rig emulations will also find many uses for it.

Eleven Rack is an 8-channel USB 2.0 high-resolution (up to 24-bit / 96 kHz) audio interface with two twin Texas Instruments chips running at about 300 MHz inside to handle the labor-intensive and delicately crafted emulations. It comes with a fully-featured (48 stereo tracks) version of Pro Tools LE 8 optimized for guitar players, which includes a dedicated Eleven Rack Window and more than 70 plug-ins, effects and virtual instruments.

Eleven Rack doubles as a standalone hardware unit (with no computer) that is rich in connectivity features for use as a centerpiece in a live rig. You are able to plug into the unit and send the output straight to a recording mixer, a live PA, a real amp, or to a physical speaker cabinet while bypassing the virtual cab emulation. Having one unit for all applications allows you to count on producing the exact tones on the road that you use in the studio.

The amplifiers are based on an elite selection of 16 vintage and modern amps --- classics by Fender, Vox, Marshall, Soldano, and Mesa/Boogie. Some of my favorites include the Soldano and the Vox AC30 ---"

I'd have to hear it, but it sounds interesting!

Ern 8-) :)

jonathanm
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonathanm » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 am

ernstinen wrote:
I'd have to hear it, but it sounds interesting!

Ern 8-) :)
I heard one: excellent. Great sound. The modeling is very thorough, even though some aficionados will claim the obvious...that it doesn't sound exactly like the real thing. Nothing is going to be exact (heck, even two marshall stacks don't sound the same), but this one is really, really good.

Paul, congrats on the strat! I had a similar situation. A family friend had a really sweet '03 Mexi Strat and was wanting some golf irons. I was needing a strat and had some irons not being used. Voilà!
"Everyone always misquotes me." - Frederick Q. Larson

tomaragon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tomaragon » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:09 pm

This one is interesting!

Axe-FX

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:54 am

John, there are many opinions on these things, and I though I'd offer one too :D

In stead of getting an amp for recording, you could consider getting a good top end multieffects board or a rack with amp simulation (Like the Line 6, Mojo uses, Boss GT10, Rocktron G300, Tonelab LE or the Eleven Rack - that comes with Pro Tools LE8 - WAAY better investment than a single guitar amp, if you ask me!, as you need to get up in that price range to get a good amp, anyway, not to mention the stompboxes, the mics, the cables, the soundcard ect you need to sound good in the analog domain!). Those are very good for direct recording, and way faster to use than micing up an amp, record it, and having to mix it afterwards.

You have to be pretty good to engineer and mix these things right, to get a better sound than the multieffects boards, and it might not be worth the hassle in your case, if it takes too long to get great results and doesn't give you what you want, or if the room you record in is untreated. You need a lot of expensive gear to get to sound good in the analog domain, and most people can't, and certainly not the music consumers, hear the difference.

And frankly, the analog vs. digital debate is quite marginal, and somewhat a mythical marketing discussion. 'Warmth' can come from multiple sources (your pick ups, the mic, the amp, the preamp, the outboard compressor/eq, the comp/eq in the box, from mixing right, and in the mastering stage - not just analog gear.

According to Bobby Owsinski (author of "The Mixing engineers Handbook"), in the old days, we tend to romanticise so much now, many engineers actually tried to find ways around the tone that came from the old tubes, as it then was considered harsh and unpleasent, but for a few good pieces of very expensive analog gear!

With a multi effects board, you just plug in your guitar, dial in the tone you want, and press record. You can still apply compression, eq ect in the mixing stage if you don't record with too much effect on. If I should rate the options, it would be:

1. Analog gear (IF you mic things up right, AND have a good room to record in, AND knows how to dial in a good tone, AND can mix things the way you want it to sound)

2. Multieffects units (IF you have a good guitar, AND knows how to dial in a good tone)

3. Software (IF you have a good guitar).

Fundamentally, things sound better in analog, but ONLY if you are very good at all the stages, and have a guitar that sounds good, mics that sounds good, a room that sounds good, analog to digital converters that sounds good (if you record to a computer), and you are good at mixing.

Otherwise you can get really crappy sounds from an analog setup. Multi's are great, I prefer those for ease, but you still need to know something about dialing in tones that'll work later in a mix. Good thing is that you can fairly quick rerecord, though.

Software is the easiest to adjust, so you don't need to know a whole lot, but it can also be VERY time consuming to dial in a good tone, as software presets often lacks depth & 'the good sound' out of the box. And it's VERY hard to get great lead tones from software IMO They do rhythm layers way better.

So, I think you'd be better off to get the Eleven Rack with PT8, or get yourself a topend multieffects board with ampsimulators and direct recording options. There are many good reasons why many, even pro's, prefer those solutions these days.

Either way, you need the best guitar you can afford, and American made strats ARE very good! Congrats on a great strat.. ehh start :D

justafewcfromme
Ceo of my own life

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:44 am

jonathanm

There will be some kind of payback to my son-in-law. Usually in the form of a construction project.

Would be nice if I could comprehend all of this tech stuff. Too old. Just give me a guitar and a sweet sounding amp and I will never complain again.

Tom:

After listening to those demo's, I don't know if I want to play anymore. What a sound.

Magne

One of the guys I play with for fun has beat up strat, a roland processor, and a cheap Peavy amp and gets some tremendous sounds. ( of course he can really play)

I have the line 6 and two(now three) more expensive guitars. I can't get anywhere near the sound.

The problem with me, is I always have unanswered questions.

I just bought a mic designed just for micing the amp's speaker. (thought I would try that) Ok, do I bring the amp into the soundbooth or play it in the open basement? Ha ha. Always another question.

The strat's neck had a pretty big bow in it. I got it back easily with the truss rod. I wound new 10's on it and gave it a whirl. Played it and it sounded bad. Stings were 9 years old in the case and I would have perfered 9's. Sending it to my friend and have him mess with it? He will know if it needs pick-ups etc.

Tried again to include a pic.

Paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 am

Hi Paul, congrats on the guitar & I hope you get it back and it's playing like it should.

You owe it to yourself to at least check this amp out
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetr ... 1444499.gc

It's a modeling amp with actual tubes so you can get the best of both worlds. Your best sound is going to come from micing the cabinet & if you close mic it (right up on the grill) with an sm57 (or even better a Shure sm7b) your room should not be an issue. The amp also has a power dampening control so you can lower the wattage to get an overdriven sound at lower volumes for recording.

edit: if money were no object I'd get something simple and pure like the Egnater and a tube sim that I could mic up like the Vox.
Last edited by billg1 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:15 am

feaker66 wrote:
Just give me a guitar and a sweet sounding amp and I will never complain again.
:P

jdhogg
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jdhogg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:35 am

I had a look at that amp.

Their ad is very misleading imho.

The 12AX7 is a preamp valve and does not sound like a power amp one even though it will have a valve sound. It will have a more "fizzy" break up.
They imply a power stage that is the same as a valve one.....rubbish.....where are the eg 6L6's

It is in fact a transistor amp with 1 low watt preamp valve used to help model a valve sound.

Thats why its cheap.

Just mentioned so people know what they are paying for.

Does look like a fine amp for the money! :D

Looks like a good solution.
Last edited by jdhogg on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

billg1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by billg1 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:00 am

Yeah it's a hybrid and a true tube amp would be better for a lot of sounds but not as versatile for my needs, might be all Paul's looking for though. most of the settings on the VT do sound good when mic'ed and moit gets generally good reviews It's is the best modelling solution I've found (haven't tried ELEVEN) & mine doesn't sound fizzy especially compared to other sims. I'd also like to have a Night Train, but my "short list" is getting pretty long!