strike

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

strike

Post by ronnie35 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 pm

Does the actors writers strike affect Taxi?
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: strike

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:56 am

ronnie35 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:16 pm
Does the actors writers strike affect Taxi?
Ron
Yes, the Taxi screeners are walking out and will be replaced by me, Telefunkin, and cosmicdolphin as scabs. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It doesn't affect Taxi itself but it could seriously reduce opportunities for our music since most production of new TV shows and movies will stop. So we will get a lot fewer placements for tracks already in libraries. Some shows/movies are already in post-production so they still will have needs.

However, I assume that libraries will still want to sign music as they need their catalogs ready for when the strike is over. If I recall, during the pandemic when production stopped on most everything, we still were getting tracks in libraries for the future.

Another thing that could mitigate this for us is networks will add more reality & competition shows to replace scripted shows. And we know those shows use a lot of library music. It could even end up as a boom for production music!

So, we'll see. Just keep up the write, submit, forget, repeat cycle. And even if you don't submit, fill your personal catalog for down the road.

Best,
:D Casey

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:25 am

Thanks
RON
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:20 pm

ronnie35 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:25 am
Thanks
RON
I misunderstood... I thought your thread was gonna be about bowling.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Casey H wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:56 am
Yes, the Taxi screeners are walking out and will be replaced by me, Telefunkin, and cosmicdolphin as scabs. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not working with Telefunkin unless I get danger money

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:08 pm

funsongs wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:20 pm
ronnie35 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:25 am
Thanks
RON
I misunderstood... I thought your thread was gonna be about bowling.
Oh come on, Peter. Spare us!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:06 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:46 pm
I'm not working with Telefunkin unless I get danger money
You already get all the money! ;)
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:16 am

Fun fact: the entire reason reality / unscripted TV shows even exists today is because of a similar writer's strike in the late 80's. When all scripted shows were halted due to the strike, TV networks (there weren't nearly as many back then) scrambled to figure out what to do with those holes in the schedule. Many just re-ran existing material. But one enterprising station (Fox) decided to gamble on airing some programming that didn't use writers. The resulting show was called "COPS", and was very low-budget, and most importantly didn't involve a script or any writers.... just a film crew and production team.

And just like that, reality TV was born. The rest, as they say, is history!!

So, don't let this strike deter you. It may have some immediate negative ramifications, but networks, production teams, and people will adapt and evolve.

~~Matt

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:38 am

VanderBoegh wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:16 am
Fun fact: the entire reason reality / unscripted TV shows even exists today is because of a similar writer's strike in the late 80's. When all scripted shows were halted due to the strike, TV networks (there weren't nearly as many back then) scrambled to figure out what to do with those holes in the schedule. Many just re-ran existing material. But one enterprising station (Fox) decided to gamble on airing some programming that didn't use writers. The resulting show was called "COPS", and was very low-budget, and most importantly didn't involve a script or any writers.... just a film crew and production team.

And just like that, reality TV was born. The rest, as they say, is history!!

So, don't let this strike deter you. It may have some immediate negative ramifications, but networks, production teams, and people will adapt and evolve.

~~Matt
I, for one, am looking forward to new placements on TV's finest... Hard to outdo my past successes with "Toddlers & Tiaras" and the like but can't wait!! :lol: :lol:

songmaster
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by songmaster » Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:22 am

I think I read where Soap Operas are not affected by the strike. I could be wrong :?