String library

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

JonBrowning

String library

Post by JonBrowning » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:54 pm

I'm looking to buy a decent string library as I am planning to do lot's of cinematic cues/songs. . I'm pretty confused with the options available. HOLLYWOOD ORCHESTRA OPUS EDITION is going for $497, MSS with the legato pack is at $699. I could afford either right now but am wondering what is right for the job. What do experienced cinematic guys on here prefer? One of these or something else? I'm also looking for horns and am wondering if there is a good option that has everything in a similar price range.

I submitted about 150 tracks to Taxi from 2010-2012. I learned a lot and was getting consistent forwards towards the end with a few placements but very little money. I only had the Kontakt string library back then, which took some work to get past the screeners. I signed up last week and am wanting to increase my odds of placement. I have worked a lot on sound design since then but never upgraded my strings/horns.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: String library

Post by hummingbird » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:49 pm

Composer Cloud is $20 a month and includes Hollywood Orchestra. https://www.soundsonline.com/composercloud
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:51 am

Depends on what you want to use them for. Epic trailer stuff is one thing, classical romantic cues is another, and strings for indie/ pop/ rock is also quite different. You will struggle to find one library to cover them all. A cloud sub could be good for you to test things out, and narrow down what you need. The proof is in the pudding.
Ceo of my own life

Rolf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Rolf » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:26 am

I use VSL Syncron Strings I, Pro, and Elite. Right now they have a special offer to celebrate the shift from e-licenser to ILok.
The articulation list is huge. But that's my personal taste.

JonBrowning

Post by JonBrowning » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:51 am

Hey much thanks to everyone that responded. I went with Hollywood Opus which has woodwinds, brass and strings. I think I'll work with it for a while and then get something else when the next sale comes around.