Studying Composition

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Studying Composition

Post by gregorym » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for books, videos or any education material that deal with the subject of music composition?

I have a few books on the subject, but I don't have any videos. Any resource that really got you excited, please share.

Thanks,
Greg

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Studying Composition

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 am

What kind of music are you writing?
Ceo of my own life

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:48 am

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 am
What kind of music are you writing?
Hi Kolstad! :)

I wrote rock, latin, one hip hop, attempted EDM, and some others. I'm a beginner writer. My best work is when I collaborate with others, which makes me think I need another person to write music that is good. I'm amazed at the level of talent here at taxi, and when I say talent, that takes into account everything: writing, performing, production, the whole enchilada. It's awesome! I love it. I enjoy listening to what other members produce. I'm hoping I get there.

Oh, I can't write songs (music with words). I write instrumentals. Some day I want to try writing songs, but until then, I need to find my niche within production music.

Philly Rock - A Collaboration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyypI6BUpxQ

Memory Lane - A Collaboration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGGHKin4tFI

I just updated my soundcloud.
https://soundcloud.com/gammasign

I take critiques. Help me.

Thanks,
Greg

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 am

I would say you don't need great composition chops for Music Licensing unless you are writing orchestral music.

Your tracks already sound like you have a good enough handle on it generally, and what will help more is production chops and how to get it sounding more up to date and contemporary

Mark

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 am
I would say you don't need great composition chops for Music Licensing unless you are writing orchestral music.

Your tracks already sound like you have a good enough handle on it generally, and what will help more is production chops and how to get it sounding more up to date and contemporary

Mark
I imagine watching TV for the genre's I want to write would be the best way to learn how to get the current sound.

Thanks Mark!
Have a good day,
Greg

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:56 am

gregorym wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:52 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:12 am

Mark
I imagine watching TV for the genre's I want to write would be the best way to learn how to get the current sound.
+1

But also Youtube videos on the production side of those genres as well as constantly listening to recent chart music ( which covers a lot fo what Libraries want )...kinda cleanse the palate and flush the 80s/90s out of the system

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm

There aren't many good books on writing in music, so I would look for other writing ressources and work to apply them to music. A book like "20 Master Plots" by Ronald Tobias can show you a lot of narrative builds, that can also be translated to music. Consider the builds analogue to the progression of a mix, and the roles of instruments analogue to the roles of characters in a story, and then you can start working on some inspired stuff.

Thats how I would approach it, if starting from scratch, and get going really fast.. its all about storytelling skills.
Ceo of my own life

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:44 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm
There aren't many good books on writing in music, so I would look for other writing ressources and work to apply them to music. A book like "20 Master Plots" by Ronald Tobias can show you a lot of narrative builds, that can also be translated to music. Consider the builds analogue to the progression of a mix, and the roles of instruments analogue to the roles of characters in a story, and then you can start working on some inspired stuff.

Thats how I would approach it, if starting from scratch, and get going really fast.. its all about storytelling skills.
Cool idea. Use other composition books, like story writing, and apply to music composition.

Have a good one Kolstad,
Greg

brianzilm

Post by brianzilm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Great stuff, man. Really, really good. Like someone else said, I think you’re good to go!
My 2015 album, Ferdinand, is on Spotify and wherever else you listen to music.

https://soundcloud.com/brianzilmmusic
http://www.taxi.com/brianzilm

tresero
Impressive
Impressive

Post by tresero » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:26 pm

gregorym wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:58 pm
Does anyone have suggestions for books, videos or any education material that deal with the subject of music composition?

I have a few books on the subject, but I don't have any videos. Any resource that really got you excited, please share.

Thanks,
Greg
As for Latin, I've made all my videos free. Some of the books are free as well.

https://salsablanca.com/lessons

and yes, I'm published and have had hits (in Latin America, not here yet :)