submission copped by Joe Rogan show

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: submission copped by Joe Rogan show

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:03 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:46 pm
How would the show's producers have heard your music?
They didn't. If it was stolen, they wouldn't have heard my music.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:05 pm

superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
It is possible, since some rare briefs will state "submissions will be screened directly by the producer's team" or something similar.

In comparison to the overall claim here, each time the Stairway to Heaven lawsuits popped up in the news, I heard music professors say, "Jimmy Page must have stolen that part, just listen to the Spirit track, it's almost identical, it must be theft." At least one jury agreed with it too, after listening to the tracks in isolation without any other information. But actually if considering the musical context of the time, it is not clear at all that it was theft, because dozens of bands and artists at that time, including Donovan, had songs with near identical guitar parts, so basically there were many songs which sounded the same, because it was the hip sound of the time, to arpeggiate and finger-pick acoustic guitar chords in a progression similar to the Stairway progression. Jimmy Page is such a great musician he could have been wandering down the street drunk, heard many other guitarist play a finger-picked folksy guitar part, and incorporated that style into Stairway, which is not theft of a melody. And he's so good he probably could have played the harmonized melody behind his back, while still drunk. It ends up sounding like he copped the other song when compared A/B.. but it is not theft because it is different.
Stairway To Heaven was lifted. It was a bad decision. You listen to it. It's not only chords and arpeggiations. It's melody. But you can steal harmony and arrangements. We all know Jimmy Page is associated with the...

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:06 pm

Casey H wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:45 am
superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
It is possible, since some rare briefs will state "submissions will be screened directly by the producer's team" or something similar.
Trust me. TV show producers/sups aren't listening to cue submissions and having them re-recorded to suit their needs. They are way too busy, and they have thousands and thousands of tracks at their disposal, not to mention their careers depend on their ethics.
NO someone heard my tune and redid it.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:14 pm

Brian, did you read what you quoted from me?
TV show producers/sups aren't listening to cue submissions and having them re-recorded to suit their needs.
You responded with "NO someone heard my tune and redid it."... That's what I meant by "re-record". I can assure you this didn't happen.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:37 am

BrianSteel wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:06 pm
NO someone heard my tune and redid it.
If you can get hold of the cue sheet for the show , my bet is you will find this piece of music was in library catalog that pre-dates your Taxi submission

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:13 pm

Is it similar? That is likely. Was it intentionally stolen? That is highly unlikely. That takes more time and effort than to just license the song from the creator of it.

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodymessiah » Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:45 pm

well until we can compare the two there's no way we can judge anyway.

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:40 pm

Also has to be stated that there maybe a misconception of the amount of money involved in a placement on something like the Joe Rogan show.

It doesn't provide anywhere near the incentive that be would required to steal and re-record a cue

talking < $100 stuff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm

SubRivers wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:40 pm
Also has to be stated that there maybe a misconception of the amount of money involved in a placement on something like the Joe Rogan show.

It doesn't provide anywhere near the incentive that be would required to steal and re-record a cue

talking < $100 stuff
The whole premise in the OP is beyond ridiculous. I don't mean that to be offensive. The reasons why this didn't happen have been stated on this thread.

GilOrms

Post by GilOrms » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:15 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:37 am
If you can get hold of the cue sheet for the show , my bet is you will find this piece of music was in library catalog that pre-dates your Taxi submission
Maybe it's the OP ends up getting sued if his own track ever gets aired.

Regards,

GO