submission copped by Joe Rogan show

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

submission copped by Joe Rogan show

Post by BrianSteel » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Heard some Joe Rogan show tonight. Gee wizz, sounded like redo of my submission for the acoustic guitar bit which I admit was not what they were looking for.
What they did was take my general idea and pump it around. I am convinced without a doubt that my music was stolen.
Last edited by BrianSteel on Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: submission copped by Joe Rogan show

Post by hummingbird » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:59 pm

If that is the case 1) register your work with the Library of Congress, 2) contact an entertainment lawyer
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by melodymessiah » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm

let us hear so we can judge for ourselves :D

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:32 pm

It is EXTREMELY (99.99999999%) unlikely that your music was stolen as a result of a Taxi submission. Is that what you are saying?

And moreover, do you really think a TV show sup would hear your cue and go through the trouble, time, and expense of re-recording it? That's not how they work. They listen to cues and if one doesn't fit, "click" to the next one in a matter of seconds.

Casey

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:46 pm

How would the show's producers have heard your music?

superblonde
Impressive
Impressive

Post by superblonde » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:46 pm
It is possible, since some rare briefs will state "submissions will be screened directly by the producer's team" or something similar.

In comparison to the overall claim here, each time the Stairway to Heaven lawsuits popped up in the news, I heard music professors say, "Jimmy Page must have stolen that part, just listen to the Spirit track, it's almost identical, it must be theft." At least one jury agreed with it too, after listening to the tracks in isolation without any other information. But actually if considering the musical context of the time, it is not clear at all that it was theft, because dozens of bands and artists at that time, including Donovan, had songs with near identical guitar parts, so basically there were many songs which sounded the same, because it was the hip sound of the time, to arpeggiate and finger-pick acoustic guitar chords in a progression similar to the Stairway progression. Jimmy Page is such a great musician he could have been wandering down the street drunk, heard many other guitarist play a finger-picked folksy guitar part, and incorporated that style into Stairway, which is not theft of a melody. And he's so good he probably could have played the harmonized melody behind his back, while still drunk. It ends up sounding like he copped the other song when compared A/B.. but it is not theft because it is different.
. . . www.superblonde.org "All Kale Seitan! ♭II ‼" -Moshpit Chant of the Vegan Metalhead

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:45 am

superblonde wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:36 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:46 pm
It is possible, since some rare briefs will state "submissions will be screened directly by the producer's team" or something similar.
Trust me. TV show producers/sups aren't listening to cue submissions and having them re-recorded to suit their needs. They are way too busy, and they have thousands and thousands of tracks at their disposal, not to mention their careers depend on their ethics.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:07 pm

Oh, I know how it happened (cue sneaky suspense music)...
The screener's roomate's boyfriend heard some of the submissions while waiting in the kitchen of the screener's apartment. They then went into a trance where the particular cue was imprinted on their subconscious. Later, they picked up a guitar (could have been a piano) and subconsciously streamed the music that was imprinted on their psyche. A random, out-of-work actor who happened to be trying for an internship at the studio where Joe Rogan 'casts his show picked up on the music, and used it as leverage with the interviewer they met that afternoon. "hey, I've got this great song that you can use on the show if you give me a job" they said.
So look for the most recent intern at that facility, and you'll have your culprit. easy-peasy. ;)

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:00 pm

melodymessiah wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:04 pm
let us hear so we can judge for ourselves :D
Will do. Working on the song today.

BrianSteel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by BrianSteel » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:02 pm

Casey H wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:32 pm
It is EXTREMELY (99.99999999%) unlikely that your music was stolen as a result of a Taxi submission. Is that what you are saying?

And moreover, do you really think a TV show sup would hear your cue and go through the trouble, time, and expense of re-recording it? That's not how they work. They listen to cues and if one doesn't fit, "click" to the next one in a matter of seconds.

Casey
I' can't speak for other people. When I heard it that evening, its was remarkably close. What I will do is post my song after I release it through the distributors because it was already rejected,
and post the Rogan music if that's allowed. It was used on tik toc btw. That's where I heard it.