Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Submission feedback for S220808GV or S220809TH

Post by mikemichnya » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:12 am

Hi folks,
Me and my co-writer, Janet, are looking for feedback for this song we were thinking about submitting to one of the two Thanksgiving listings. Below are the links to the songs, the lyrics, and the listings.

Any and all feedback is appreciated.
Best,
Mike

Version 1: https://www.taxi.com/members/C1kXiR9LRS ... ng-miracle

Version 2: https://www.taxi.com/members/C1kXiR9LRS ... version-2-

Thanksgiving Miracle
Words and music by Janet Buller and Michael A. Michnya

Everyone wants to do their own thing
in our family that’s so typical
If we ever agree on anything
It’ll be a Thanksgiving Miracle
If we ever agree, It’ll be a Thanksgiving Miracle

Women in the kitchen complaining about
Football on the big screen, the men drinking beer
The kids are all glued to their phones
It’s a wonder they’re even here

By dinner time we’re talking politics
Tryin’ hard not to lose our cool
Don’t know why we always go there
Maybe we’re a bunch of crazy old fools

In our family that’s so typical
If we ever agree, it’ll be a Thanksgiving Miracle

Mom wanted to go out this year
Dad insisted we eat at home
Well, he got his wish, but truth be told
I think he’d rather be left alone

The table’s piled with plenty of food
Everyone has to have their favorite sides
Some folks stop in for a second meal
By dessert we’re debating the best kind of pie

In our family that’s so typical

I know it might sound like I’m complainin’
But that don’t make it wrong
Gotta appreciate it while we’re still here
This is our dysfunctional love song

in our family that’s so typical

© Janet Buller, BMI and Michael A. Michnya, ASCAP

Listing 1: THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by an International Music Library with lots of great placements in Film and TV.

This Library is searching for Holiday Songs in the general ballpark of the following references:

"The Thanksgiving Song" by Ben Rector
"Gobble Gobble" by Matthew West
"The Grateful Song" by Jonah Tolchin
"Thanksgiving Song" by Mary Chapin Carpenter

Please send them well-crafted Thanksgiving Songs with an overall upbeat, and joyful tone and feel. Your submissions should have memorable melodies and hooks, well-crafted lyrics centered around Thanksgiving, solid arrangements, polished production, and welcoming, well-performed vocals. Your instrumentation can range stylistically and should evoke warm and joyful feelings that capture the spirit of the holiday. Please be sure any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated.

Lyric Tip: Thanksgiving Holiday centered themes like family time, gathering around the table, giving thanks/being grateful, blessings, etc. could all work for this request.

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, places, dates, times, and brands – unless they are Thanksgiving related. No profanity, please.

Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the Songs you pitch for this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Companies or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit as many Songs as you'd like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Monday, August 8th, 2022. TAXI # S220808GV

Listing 2: FUN, UPBEAT SONGS about THANKSGIVING and/or TURKEYS with Male or Female Vocals are needed QUICKLY for an (up to) $1,000, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement in an upcoming Indie Film!

This Supervisor is urgently on the hunt for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could be found on a playlist with the following references (but not limited to):

"Gobble Gobble" by Matthew West
"The Thanksgiving Song" by Ben Rector
"The Thanksgiving Song" by Meg Berry

Quoting the Supervisor: "I have an indie film where I need an upbeat song that two characters can dance to [for a scene that] shows they are in November."

Please submit well-produced Songs about Thanksgiving and/or Turkeys that exude an overall upbeat and fun vibe and feel. Catchy melodies, memorable hooks, well-crafted, playful lyrics centered around Thanksgiving or Turkeys, and top-notch arrangements are all needed for this request. Your instrumentation can range stylistically – it will be nailing the lyric prompt and upbeat feel that are key for this request. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated. Top your submissions off with joyful, well-performed vocals and you could have just what this Supervisor needs!

Lyrics should avoid references to specific names, places, dates, times, brands, and profanity – unless they are Thanksgiving related. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, and tone. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

IMPORTANT: Creators of the Songs must be Non-Union to submit to this opportunity.

The estimated license fee for this placement is up to $1,000, depending on the ultimate usage. This is a Non-Exclusive (worldwide, in perpetuity), Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Copyright and Master Recording, plus you’ll also get 100% of the Master License Fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Copyright and Master Recording to pitch for this opportunity. NO DEADLINE EXTENSIONS for this request. Sorry folks, but we're on an extremely tight deadline, so please don't ask! Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Tuesday, August 9th, 2022. TAXI # S220809TH

Thanks again,
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submission feedback for S220808GV or S220809TH

Post by Paulie » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi Mike,

You've taken on an interesting challenge, as an instrumental composer I always have a ton of respect for lyricists... and a Thanksgiving song seems like a big challenge! :)

I think the song itself, the lyrics, etc. are fine. But the mix will keep this from getting forwarded. On my monitors it sounds like an AM radio broadcast. I think you've got all of the elements you need musically. Are you mixing in headphones only? The mix sounds better in my headphones than over my monitors. You might also try the famous car stereo test: play this over your car stereo and see how it sounds.

Here are some specific things I hear:
  • Right at the beginning, the drum fill is quiet, far back, then the guitar riff enters much louder. The drums stay far back throughout the entire song, need to bring them forward.
  • The vocal harmony is a little loud, sounds like there is a resonant frequency that is creating some mud. Check the EQ on that.
  • The track could use some more reverb in general (to my ears)
  • It sounds like the lead vocal is doubled the entire time, or it might be a really tight delay. I'd save the double for just the chorus.
  • Bring the guitar down during the riffs, it is a little hot.
It's a fun track for sure!

Have you ever checked out the Pink Noise mixing method? Basically you add a track that generates pink noise, you drop all of your track slides down to zero, then you individually bring them up until you her them above the pink noise... then you drop it down just enough so that the track can't be heard over the noise. Repeat this for all of the tracks, then turn the pink noise off. The end result is a very well balanced track you can use as a starting point to tweak. There are several videos out there, this guy does a decent job of showing the concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3DtQALtuY&t=167s

Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Submission feedback for S220808GV or S220809TH

Post by mikemichnya » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:46 am

Yo Paulie,
Hey man, I've been MIA due to work and family commitments, so I apologize for the delay in replying. Although I didn't see it in time for the submission, I really appreciate your feedback. I used to use the pink noise method, but somehow got away from it. You were right about the return. I'm going to take another crack at this, and your feedback is definitely going to help me improve the production.
Thanks again!
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello