Re: Submitting a better mix of the same track

Post by Pvgeldrop » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:07 am
Pvgeldrop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:09 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 am
Get a pair of Slate VSX headphones then you can listen to it in a virtual SUV from your DAW
Hoping/planning to get myself a pair of the VSX headphones at the end of the month, I've heard a lot of good things about them.
Yeah they are a very useful tool, even with my nice speakers in a well treated room they reveal things that were not so obvious ( like too much sub when you listen in the SUV )
My room isn't well treated, nor do I have nice speakers, so I do everything by headphones. I have a pair of very good headphones (Neumann HD20), but I suspect that the VSX ones might be a big step up, and I love the idea of being able to monitor in different spaces realistically).

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:29 am

Pvgeldrop wrote:
I have a pair of very good headphones (Neumann HD20), but I suspect that the VSX ones might be a big step up, and I love the idea of being able to monitor in different spaces realistically).
I would even say they don't compare a nice pair of studio headphones, they don't sound espeically Hi-Fi and I wouldn't say they will sound like a step up or be something you use for pleasure. Best to think of them as a tool to allow you to make a mix that will trasnlate across different systems as well as possible they are very good.

You could mix entirely with this system and not have to worry about the mixes not translating. Which is the the goal of any mixing setup. I do warn you though you may not 'like' them, in the same way I don't 'like' my Avantone Mixcube ...but I find it really helpful. ( there's an uncannily realistic Mixcube emulation in VSX, it's the only thing I own that's been modelled in VSX so I can compare but it sounds just like mine almost like I can reach out and touch it ..but it's not real :shock: )

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:31 am
Get a pair of Slate VSX headphones then you can listen to it in a virtual SUV from your DAW
I use the VSX as one of many references Mark, and I dig it, but sometimes the SUV room isn't exact...... BUT - I am a big fan of the Archon nearfield monitors, Steven Slates midfields and the Mastering room!
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:07 am

Pvgeldrop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:07 am
Pvgeldrop wrote:

Hoping/planning to get myself a pair of the VSX headphones at the end of the month, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

My room isn't well treated, nor do I have nice speakers, so I do everything by headphones. I have a pair of very good headphones (Neumann HD20), but I suspect that the VSX ones might be a big step up, and I love the idea of being able to monitor in different spaces realistically).
Then the VSX setup is just what you are looking for..... I don't love every room in the software, but most are really really good. The key is setting it up initially per the instructions, and hoping that you don't get a crappy set of headphones. I have had to switch out the 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor a few times
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com