submitting a song

Layin down the law..

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

daddio1

submitting a song

Post by daddio1 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:44 am

Can i submit a song without the express approval of a co-writer? Do i have to get a waiver to conduct business regarding a song that i have only 51% share of?

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: submitting a song

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:59 am

Hi, There's nothing to stop you submitting it (because there's nothing to say it will get forwarded or signed by a library), but it would not be good practice to do so without the approval and backing of other interested parties. Let's imagine the song was forwarded and a library offered you an exclusive publishing deal. They would NEED the details of all writers (name, address, PRO membership, IPI/CAE number), the splits (equal splits is always preferable), and any work for hire details of any other contributors. Also, you should own the rights to the master. Then usually they'll ask you to provide not only the master version, but alternate versions (eg no vocal, underscore, maybe even stems) and cut-downs (eg 30s, and a 'sting'). Would you be in a position to provide all of the above?

What libraries do not want is hassle, complications, loads of questions, delays in providing things, or arguments about who owns what. Therefore, I would suggest getting as much of the above sorted as possible, otherwise submitting could lead to problems later. Note that all libraries have their own specification for exactly what they want so its difficult to do alts and cut-downs ahead of time, but you could ensure all of the admin is in place, whilst seeking the approval of your cowriters to actually go ahead. I suspect they'll want to know who the library is, but that's something you can't tell them. They need to be comfortable with that, although if you were offered a deal its up to you (all) whether you wish to accept it.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.