submitting to libraries

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

submitting to libraries

Post by ronnie35 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 pm

Hi, I joined Music Library report and I have been researching the different libraries. Question forwards I HAVE received from Taxi were sent to the such n' such library I only know of 2cues that are being used so I won't touch those cues. but, the other cues in the forwarded libraries have been sitting there for quite a long time. Can I submit those cues to another library? exclusive or non- exclusive.

Thanks, Ron :)
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: submitting to libraries

Post by jdstamper » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:43 pm

Absolutely, keep submitting. I sometimes wait a bit (a few weeks) after getting a forward but that's not a requirement and I don't always do it.

Offers / deals are highly unpredictable. I've received a few offers even before getting Taxi notification of the forward. But I've also received offers up to 2 years after the forward ... so you just never know.

Most forwards don't turn into deals, so it doesn't make much sense to keep waiting for a response.

One thing, before submitting music directly to any library, make sure the music is really competitive. Otherwise libraries will get turned off to receiving the music directly. If you're getting good feedback / forwards from Taxi then that's a good indicator.

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:41 am

I'm not a contract lawyer and this does not constitute legal advice, so ALWAYS check your contract details and seek advice from a qualified contract lawyer, but my simplified general interpretation is...

- If you've signed an exclusive contract on a cue you can no longer submit it to any other opportunities until that contract expires. If the contract terms are 'in perpetuity' then it never expires even if the cue never gets used (placed).

- If you've signed a non-exclusive contract on a cue you can only submit it to other non-exclusive opportunities.

- Taxi 'forwards' simply wave your cue under the nose of a library, but do not imply any form of contract. Until you sign a contract the cue is still absolutely 100% yours to do anything you please with.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 am

Thank you all, So what I am understanding is , if I didn't sign a contract, even though they were forwarded to the library I can still submit those cues to different libraries. Exclusive or non-exclusive
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:00 am

ronnie35 wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 am
Thank you all, So what I am understanding is , if I didn't sign a contract, even though they were forwarded to the library I can still submit those cues to different libraries. Exclusive or non-exclusive
Ron
yes

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:20 pm

ronnie35 wrote:
So what I am understanding is , if I didn't sign a contract, even though they were forwarded to the library I can still submit those cues to different libraries. Exclusive or non-exclusive
Yes. Until you've signed something to agree otherwise, all your cues remain entirely yours. A forward from Taxi simply delivers your cue to a library for them to check out, that's all. They'll rarely get back to you if they don't want it, but if it happens to suit their current needs they might send you a publishing contract. Its up to you whether you agree with the terms and sign it, but without that in place no legitimate library (especially those vetted by Taxi) would risk using your cue. Therefore, until you've actually signed such a contract for a particular cue you can submit it to whoever you like, via Taxi or otherwise.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:29 am

ronnie35 wrote:
Ron
As long as the rights to your intellectual property are owned by you, until you have signed the distribution commitments, you are free to do whatever you want. Therefore, I always read every contract to the letter, because sometimes unscrupulous partners can slip a pig.