Submitting to listings one may already be signed with..

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Submitting to listings one may already be signed with..

Post by Tunesmith » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:37 am

Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the place to ask this or if it has been posted before. How does one know if a TAXI listing is from a library one is already signed with? (in which case one can just send their material directly to the publisher)

Do Publishers/Libraries, etc know their TAXI Listing number?

Thank you in advance,

Linda C

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Submitting to listings one may already be signed with..

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:01 am

Hi Linda,
I've had a track forwarded to, and subsequently signed by, a library I'm already with. I wish there was a way of knowing but I don't think there is, otherwise everyone would know (or get to know) who all the listings are for. In the end though, I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot. If tracks aren't good enough to get past Taxi screeners then they're probably not good enough for the library, but if they are then you could submit them later anyway. The only loss is the $5 submission fee, although it would be more frustrating if you submit a load of tracks.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 pm

I had times where the listing just smelled like a library that I was already signed to. I just called Taxi and asked them if the listing was for "Library XYZ".

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:37 pm

stevebarden wrote:I had times where the listing just smelled like a library that I was already signed to. I just called Taxi and asked them if the listing was for "Library XYZ".
Yes, that works. I've done that a few times. But there will still be times when you don't recognize the listing wording as by a library you already are working with. And since most forwards are blind now, it's an unavoidable part of submitting.

Although this shouldn't have to be said, NEVER submit a track already signed anywhere to an EXCLUSIVE listing.

Best
:D Casey

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi,

Thank you very much for your replies. I did contact the library and sent them my material as they want to hear it anyway which is great. However, I don't want to miss an opportunity with another one by not submitting. Yes calling TAXI and asking is something I will do. And all exclusives of course stay with that (I just forget those tunes for now) And $5 is a definitely affordable sacrifice!

Best to all,
Linda C

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Casey H wrote: And since most forwards are blind now, it's an unavoidable part of submitting...

Casey
What do you mean the forwards are blind now?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:55 pm

markhimley wrote:
Casey H wrote: And since most forwards are blind now, it's an unavoidable part of submitting...

Casey
What do you mean the forwards are blind now?
Most of the time, you do not get the name of the listing party (e.g. library) with the forward notification. Up until about 1-2 years ago, you almost always got the name. Now it generally will say a generic "Music Library", "Music Supervisor", etc. instead of a specific client name. So that's what I mean by "blind".

Sadly, this is a lot due to abuse by members, calling or emailing libraries after a forward and pestering them.

Best,

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Casey H wrote: Most of the time, you do not get the name of the listing party (e.g. library) with the forward notification. Up until about 1-2 years ago, you almost always got the name. Now it generally will say a generic "Music Library", "Music Supervisor", etc. instead of a specific client name. So that's what I mean by "blind".

Sadly, this is a lot due to abuse by members, calling or emailing libraries after a forward and pestering them.

Best,
Ahh that makes sense, thanks for answering! Since I joined, Jan 2016, it has been like that. I didn't even know it used to be that way! I can totally understand the reason for the change though

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

Post by thegajman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:07 am

Sounds like a good problem to have. I’m still waiting to actually get a track into a library! :lol:

Tunesmith
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Tunesmith » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:39 am

thegajman wrote:Sounds like a good problem to have. I’m still waiting to actually get a track into a library! :lol:
And you will! Keep on writing!

And one could say "I'm still writing to...vs waiting.. :D

I have had a lot of returns...so I am so still writing/re-writing!

And in regards to my original post, I did call TAXI and it was the same library.

Happy Holidays!

Linda C