We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

smelterbox
Active
Active

Submitting variations of same song for a listing

Post by smelterbox » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:47 pm

Hello -

I am going to be submitting to listing #S230417MM, which in brief has the following;

ACOUSTIC GUITAR INSTRUMENTALS are needed for an (up to) $250, Direct-to-Producer placement in a Pilot for an upcoming TV Show!

This Producer is searching for Instrumentals that could work as a replacement for "Cohesion" by Minutemen, which is currently temped in.

[b]They're NOT looking for clones or soundalikes! Similar tempo, style, and overall vibe? Yes. Clones? No![/b] (emphasis added)

So, I have a few more touches to put on before submitting on Monday, and I am pondering: I do have a melody line that works that I would also like to include, but the reference track does not have one per se. (The closest I can hear is the bass movement as carrying any sort of melody.) Would it be better to NOT submit a track with an obvious melody, or would you think it okay to submit both a non-melody track that has similar vibes as well as the track with? Thanks.

Kevin :)

smelterbox
Active
Active

Re: Submitting variations of same song for a listing

Post by smelterbox » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:08 am

Rough mix including melody. Re-recording melody line on Sunday with a nylon-string.

:D

https://www.taxi.com/members/TvY0SeWiTj ... ittersweet

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:06 am

smelterbox wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:08 am
Rough mix including melody. Re-recording melody line on Sunday with a nylon-string.

:D

https://www.taxi.com/members/TvY0SeWiTj ... ittersweet
It sounds too slow to me compared to the ref track. And it sounds like a DI rather than a natural acoustic ?

nicorivers

Post by nicorivers » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:36 pm

I'm not sure about posting variations of the same track as I'm new to Taxi, but for a brief like this, I'd say save the $5 and just submit the version you think best represents the piece in terms of the references.

I do agree that it is pretty slow compared to the ref. I think it's a nylon string and that may be why it sounds a little like DI - or maybe it's DI. If it's a mic'd guitar, try mic'ing a little further away and adding a little reverb to give it a sense of space. You can also try using a tool like Soothe to help shape the current recording you have and get rid of some of that nasal tone.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Hi
It's not at all a fit for this listing. You have to really pay attention to the ref track. It sounds more like a Latin instrumental. The recording isn't all that clean. Seems a bit bassy in my headphones. Is that note at 00:59 what you intended?

I would save this idea for a Latin instrumental listing. As others asked, what instrument, real or virtual? I could see it working well for Latin with a well recorded classical guitar.

Best,
:D Casey

smelterbox
Active
Active

Post by smelterbox » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 pm

Guitar is a direct to recorder (Breedlove to Tascam DP24) and I have not finalized anything. Tempo of original is about 96-100 and I have set my tempo to 92. The EQ I used was to dial down the high-end, and I know there is still some quacky-ness there. I live in downtown Phoenix and running live instruments to mic is a challenge.

Trying to keep the vibe - I hear flamenco-style guitar, and a sad-sounding progression. Maybe its just my perception. I value everyone's input - still new to the whole thing and starting to jump in with both feet. :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:25 pm

smelterbox wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:10 pm
Guitar is a direct to recorder (Breedlove to Tascam DP24) and I have not finalized anything. Tempo of original is about 96-100 and I have set my tempo to 92. The EQ I used was to dial down the high-end, and I know there is still some quacky-ness there. I live in downtown Phoenix and running live instruments to mic is a challenge.

Trying to keep the vibe - I hear flamenco-style guitar, and a sad-sounding progression. Maybe its just my perception. I value everyone's input - still new to the whole thing and starting to jump in with both feet. :)
It's not the BPM, it's the general feel as far as fast motion or laid back. When you read that the a la is "temped in", you really have to match that feel. BPM can be deceiving as far as what a track sounds like.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:24 pm

A very nice piece of guitar work, but I agree that it's not close enough to the reference. Like Casey said, when a track has been placed into a video as a "temporary" reference, you need to match that feel and vibe as closely as possible. Your track feels much slower, it is in a 12/8 triplet feel, while the reference track has more movement.

I think the reference track sounds Latin like yours does. And Casey is spot on regarding the note at 0:59. You are moving from A major to Bb major and back, but the melody is playing a C# over the Bb major, which is a half step away from the major third in the Bb. Chang the melody not to a D, or even an F of Bb and you will be good to go as far as that dissonance is concerned.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

smelterbox
Active
Active

Post by smelterbox » Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Thank you all for your input. Will hold off on this submission.

So one final question: How does one get that same vibe and feel of the piece when the listing says no clones or soundalikes. I am thinking that might be part of my issue.

Example: "Louie, Louie" "Bang on De Drum All Day" and "Who Let the Dawgs Out" all have a similar vibe IMHO, but not clones of each other much less sound alikes. Is this what that listing would be inferring? Am I on the right track on this thought?

Thank you again for all your help.

Kev