SUCCESS!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SUCCESS!

Post by matto » Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:07 am

Thank you Hooks and Dimps, you're far too kind!Matt

ragan

Post by ragan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:31 am

So here's my success story:I joined Taxi in October '05 and went to the Road Rally where I met fellow Taxi member Stanley Rogers. I was rummaging through the submission boxes, hoping to find my CD when we struck up a conversation. I gave him my CD and we kept in touch after the convention. Stan ended up passing my CD along to a friend of his who was doing an independent film called "Unforgiven Sins". Long story short, half of my new album is being used as part of the soundtrack for the movie. Stan and I even got a cameo in one of the scenes! So, although this opportunity did not come directly from Taxi, Taxi did provide an opportunity for a New Yorker to network with a Californian and ultimately get 5 songs placed in a film!

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:47 am

Congratulations! That is super networking in action.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:14 am

Congrats!Networking is everything in most life endeavors and music is no different. For example, in job hunting, probably 75-80% (guess) of jobs are landed that way as opposed to classified advertising (on or off line).One of the keys to success (and you obviously have it), besides talent is marketing ability... A good, professional personality and a lot of effort to dig out leads any way you can (taxi and/or other) goes a long way. You are a salesman for your music.It always amazes me when I see someone email or post a obnoxious/scathing/profane item to a music company, be it taxi, a publisher, a music library, whatever... What's the up side? You've made an enemy in a small world where people know each other. If you were resigning a job and you hate the company and your boss, would you gain anything by saying "f*** you" on the way out? Hmmmm... Maybe someone there will end up at your next company.I was recently contacted by an excellent band regarding Hopeful Dreamer Music. The guy had no recollection that on Tonos a few years back he cursed me out! ... No matter how good his music is, he is going nowhere with anyone...Market hard! Meet people! ... Be resourceful! ... But most of all, be a professional.I hope I didn't digress too much...Way to go, Ragan! Casey

paradigm

Post by paradigm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:11 am

congratulations,persistence pays off.Stay positive and hopefull while at the same time take action toward your goals and youll be a success.psi need a spell checker

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:26 pm

Quote:So here's my success story:I joined Taxi in October '05 and went to the Road Rally where I met fellow Taxi member Stanley Rogers. I was rummaging through the submission boxes, hoping to find my CD when we struck up a conversation. I gave him my CD and we kept in touch after the convention. Stan ended up passing my CD along to a friend of his who was doing an independent film called "Unforgiven Sins". Long story short, half of my new album is being used as part of the soundtrack for the movie. Stan and I even got a cameo in one of the scenes! So, although this opportunity did not come directly from Taxi, Taxi did provide an opportunity for a New Yorker to network with a Californian and ultimately get 5 songs placed in a film! How many CDs/promo packs do you bring when you go to the Road Rally (assuming you're from out of town and can't run home and grab some more)?Nomi

ragan

Post by ragan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:34 am

I brought about 5 or 6 full packages (full album, bio, pics, reviews, etc.), 5 submission CDs (for the boxes) and 15 "giveaways" to the Road Rally. I ended up getting a bunch of giveaway copies made at the Disk-Makers booth for free (I don't know whose idea it was, but it REALLY came in handy for a lot of people!). Thank you (everyone) for your kind words, congrats, and encouragement!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:00 pm

Quote:I brought about 5 or 6 full packages (full album, bio, pics, reviews, etc.), 5 submission CDs (for the boxes) and 15 "giveaways" to the Road Rally. I ended up getting a bunch of giveaway copies made at the Disk-Makers booth for free (I don't know whose idea it was, but it REALLY came in handy for a lot of people!). That is a great idea from Discmakers. If they didn't have a booth, how many packs and CDs would you have brought ideally? Your input would be helpful since I'll be going to the ASCAP Expo in a couple of weeks, my first music convention (Road Rally will be my second).NomiNomi

ragan

Post by ragan » Mon May 01, 2006 3:50 pm

Sorry it took so long to respond to this! (I'm pretty sure the ASCAP Expo has passed already). Ideally, I would have brought 50 giveaways instead of 15. In terms of the other stuff (submission CDs and press kits) I would bring the exact amount I had at the last Road Rally (5 or 6 full packages and 5 or 6 submission CDs). I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the giveaways... CDRs with your contact info will do just fine.

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Tue May 02, 2006 5:45 pm

Yeah a little late. That's ok, thanks for the answer anyway. I didn't end up giving a promo pack to anyone but having extra CDs was useful. Discmakers was there but not making CDs (I did get a Tshirt I guess because I'm a repeat customer). The most useful thing I brought was a sticker with my name and website on it. It was a lot more popular than the ubiquitous business card.