sucks

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: sucks

Post by jchitty » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:32 am

Quote:as jchitty noticed about herself,steve a gilbert SUCKS,until the next post here anywaySteve, I am sacrificing myself here by posting last again so that you don't have to 'suck' anymore. Don't say I never did anything for ya.

wattywatts

Post by wattywatts » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:41 am

....which would be me, now i suck. jchitty is on to my scheme to make you all suck.But seriously, wow, so many things to say in response now....for starters, I'll address Drew: you may be right and you may be wrong, i don't have the same mentality as you regarding playing in a band, and if i did I'd probably hate playing music at all. But that aside, I've been in several bands, I've been in my last band for 6 years. That said, I'm starting a new project, doing everything myself, and don't have a fan base yet. I'm tired of image and gimmicks, I want to music to speak for itself (as it really should anyway) and I was venting a little frustration because Taxi made it sound to me like thats what they were all about. I never liked all this corporate bullshit, I don't like the fact that a song is worth 99 cents, and I hate it that A. record companies consider the average consumer so stupid that they manufacture mindless pop like 80's power hair ballads, and B. that apparently the average consumer really is that stupid, because after all that is the dominant genre nowadays.And by the way Steve, marry Paris Hilton, you say? WOOF. Actually i heard a funny story the other day about somebody finding her herpes medication...

sgs4u
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by sgs4u » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:01 am

Quote:And by the way Steve, marry Paris Hilton, you say? WOOF. Actually i heard a funny story the other day about somebody finding her herpes medication...I didn't say sleep with her, just marry her for the press, like Federline.249

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:34 am

I'll take a chance and be the suck-er.It would be great if it really was about the music only, and I've agonized about this myself my whole life. And then I remember that even Mozart and Beethoven had to sell themselves to make a buck and a lot of their music (most of it) was written for commercial purposes and for a particular audience. We may not have their music to this day if they had just kept it to themselves and not promoted their talent.Still sucks.
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:40 am

If you are looking at artist listings, then you have to take what Nomi said to heart. Music must be your life. Taxi does bring the industry to you, but you have to have what they want. If you want to write rock songs, then the touring stuff doesn't matter. If you want to be an artist, then don't put your life on hold, but do make playing gigs its central focus.Remember the motto of Firesign Theater--How can you be in two places at once when you're nowhere at all.
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

wattywatts

Post by wattywatts » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:11 pm

I'll go along with all of that. Obviously, like it or not, that is the truth of the game and how it's played. I guess what I'm saying is, if i would have known that most of the rock artist listings want touring bands, i may have still joined taxi, but may not have been quite so confident about it. And I'm sticking to what i said before here, if i had devoted fans across the u.s.a. and had the money and resources to go on tour, I probably wouldn't need taxi's help to get a deal at all.Either way, taxi doesn't control the listings, or rather what the labels are looking for in an artist, and so I really shouldn't hold them accountable for this frustration at all.

arkjack
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by arkjack » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Sorry I was away while this thread got started.... Cause' it makes me want to change my screen name to ArkJack Really........ Anyway WW.... I have this piece of input to offer because on another thread I think I gave some ideas about things to do..... This weekend I attended Gerald Veasley's Bass Bootcamp.... a three day intensive bass and music workshop.... I had private lessons, workshops, and master classes with the some of best bassists in the world.... ... Brian Bromberg, Adam Nitti, Anthony Wellington, Gary Willis, Gerald Veasley, Richard Bona, and Maurice Fitzgerald.... I've never seen a conference like this for the rock, pop, guitar, or other genres and instruments, but then again never looked.... of course there are a lot of big songwriting camps and conferences.... I'm sure Road Rally is the same kind of experience.... and in the same terms.... the panelists and workshop leaders and master class teachers there are also the universal greats.... Anyway ,my point is, you should explore your opportunities to experience something like this... it puts everything in the right perspective.... these players are just incredible... and they blow you away.... and it humbles you to realize just how incredibly talented the top artists are.... and what you are currently and in the future going to be striving to achieve.... Another point is that I would bet a few screeners are at that ajax level of the song, recording, and music business.... and certainly the listers are at that seasoned veteran level......Just thought I'd throw that out there ..... ArkJack

michaello3259

Post by michaello3259 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:32 pm

It is hard to do performances but you have to do them. I am seventeen and still in high school, but I go to every gig I can and if it is a school nite I still go. I have a good fan base, but don't know what they mean as far as post it. I can send pictures with me and fans. I can't however give their e-mail. I don't have any. But they can go to myspace.com/youngmacmusic and read my comments. I get up on time for school and still maintain, this is my job to perform and make peopl happy, dance, move, and grove to my music. So it isn't actually putting your life on hold it is starting your career in the industry.

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:56 am

Quote:I have a good fan base, but don't know what they mean as far as post it. I can send pictures with me and fans. I can't however give their e-mail. I don't have any. .If you are planning a career as an artist, start collecting those emails. At every gig! But that isn't what they want (it is something you use to get the rest of it). They are looking for numbers of CDs you've sold, the size of the crowds you can draw at a club or concert (your draw, not the headliner's!), the amount of merchandise you can move at a show, whether you have street teams, a logo, an identity of any sort out there. You don't need all of this, but the continuous question will be: are you marketable? If you are... voila!
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

mikehelms
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehelms » Sun May 06, 2007 7:19 pm

Hey WWI think you got in here at just the right time... at least at this point your starting your own thing under your own auspice... having also done the band thing for years.. . I may be a bit late for the Rock Star status.. But you ...you still have a shot and your in the right place to start.. To start with I think your looking at the wrong adds...Think Movies and TV... get your name out... spend the extra 10 or so bucks a week to get a piece criticd... grow your fan base by doing some shows but also use the tool in front of you..ahem YOUR COMPUTER...! How many web site's do you have!!! Myspace, and Taxi, Broadjam, do you have a dot com. site youtube, yahoo Google AOL...oh my god there's just so many now, and looking a some of the other posts there some I haven't heard of till now.. ask Vikky she could point out a couple..My point is you got to do it in all the ways that you can to show yourself to this great big WORLD at the fingertips... as well as the stage gigs...But you do have a great start with Taxi...so build it from here... get up that WW myspace... the WWdot com. and pick a couple more... grow them... get a camera and shoot that beautiful smile and plaster it across the INTERNET with A.. 'I sound LIKE!' WHOOP!! And lay it on us..Learn from the critics and maybe get some placements and make someone notice WW... IF YOUR REALLY ONLY 24... then Please!!! you got a way better shot than I do at this point... and I ain't givin up!!! $#&! that!Let's go Rocker! Let's bang out some sh@# and make them love you!!!check ya on the charts.. Laters, PeaceMichael