SugarJones

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

SugarJones

Post by billg » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:00 am

I guess I'm brave enough for this! The Day before yesterday I received a buch of Taxi returns. In an effort to cheer myself up I decided to just drink a bunch of beer & write & record a song just to amuse myself. Three hours (and 9 beers) later i had written & recorded this song. Had a laugh, got drunk, mission accomplished. The next morning I actually liked it. I sent it to a few "industry" friend types to see if maybe I was just suffering from a case of demo love but the feedback came back extremely positive. These are folks who either don't respond at all or are painfully blunt (not long ago one replied simply with "YOU SUCK"!). I know the production is weak & if I were to actually do anything with this I would replace everything with the possible exception of the lead vox and bass. I guess I just want to pick your brains on the appeal of the idea/theme/lyrics & to see if anything in the arrangement bugs you. The songs called SugarJones - thanks-billghttp://www.billgaunce.com/song/13

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Re: SugarJones

Post by ddusty » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 am

Hey Bill,Great tune! 9 beers? i think i should try that.I think the idea/theme/lyrics are a blast, has a bit of a todd snider feel.My only arrangement comment would be for some kind of instrumental break. The song has a great groove, and the second chorus, bridge third vs feel to jammed together (only got to listen to the song once, so take with a grain of salt, also I am a guitar player so i never found a solo section i didn't like!)On a side note, what do you use to record the drums? Rob

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:19 am

Quote:I guess I'm brave enough for this! The Day before yesterday I received a buch of Taxi returns. In an effort to cheer myself up I decided to just drink a bunch of beer & write & record a song just to amuse myself. Three hours (and 9 beers) later i had written & recorded this song. Had a laugh, got drunk, mission accomplished. The next morning I actually liked it. I sent it to a few "industry" friend types to see if maybe I was just suffering from a case of demo love but the feedback came back extremely positive. These are folks who either don't respond at all or are painfully blunt (not long ago one replied simply with "YOU SUCK"!). I know the production is weak & if I were to actually do anything with this I would replace everything with the possible exception of the lead vox and bass. I guess I just want to pick your brains on the appeal of the idea/theme/lyrics & to see if anything in the arrangement bugs you. The songs called SugarJones - thanks-billghttp://www.billgaunce.com/song/13I am sorry about your returns but if they inspire you to come up with this sort of stuff I hope you get some more. I love the song,the mood the vibe. the whole thing.It's real,it's fun,more of the same please!The only negative thing I can say about it is,if it were released here(the UK) all the PC morons would come out of the woodwork and try to get it banned,after which it would go straight to number !.
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks

jchitty
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jchitty » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 am

Quote:I guess I'm brave enough for this! The Day before yesterday I received a buch of Taxi returns. In an effort to cheer myself up I decided to just drink a bunch of beer & write & record a song just to amuse myself. Three hours (and 9 beers) later i had written & recorded this song. Had a laugh, got drunk, mission accomplished. The next morning I actually liked it. I sent it to a few "industry" friend types to see if maybe I was just suffering from a case of demo love but the feedback came back extremely positive. These are folks who either don't respond at all or are painfully blunt (not long ago one replied simply with "YOU SUCK"!). I know the production is weak & if I were to actually do anything with this I would replace everything with the possible exception of the lead vox and bass. I guess I just want to pick your brains on the appeal of the idea/theme/lyrics & to see if anything in the arrangement bugs you. The songs called SugarJones - thanks-billghttp://www.billgaunce.com/song/13Hi, BillYou want to know my HONEST opinion? I can't find anything wrong with this song, it grabbed me from the start! I love the lyrics, the melody, the arrangement, everything....in fact, I'm going to listen to it again I liked it so much. I'm a big fan of Lou Reed and the old J. Geils band, and it's sort of reminiscent of some of their stuff.....Sugar Jones has got that vibe.The only possible flaw I could find with it is that it might be too much of a novelty song to make it through the gates, but novelty songs, especially ones that are good and catchy like yours could pass through. I'm betting that any A&R rep or screener worth his salt could see this song as having mass appeal....'coz everyone likes to OD on sugar sometimes. That's my two centavos.

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:31 am

Rob & Michael 11, thanks for the positive comments! Rob, I agree with the arrangement suggestion. Since I play guitar well enough ONLY to get my ideas across I usually try to "fudge" my way around the solo thing. But you're right, it needs it & I wish I had at least left a place for one cuz now that I realize I like the song I've got to go back & try to re-produce what was more or less a natural goof off kinda thing. The drums are a loop from M-Audio vol 3 called "These Drums Are Loud." I tried to put some cymbles in but it seemed to kill the groove. Probably ought to try again without the booze!Michael 11, thanks for a NEW song idea! I think I'm gonna run out for a 6 pack and get to work on PC Morons! How do you think that would work out in the UK?Thanks for listening -billg-

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:40 am

Thanks Chits! I think I've learned a lesson here . . . sometimes maybe we (I) try to hard. I was just relaxed and having fun for ME & I seem to have written a song people like. How ironic. I even had a couple of emails about it that mention the "H" (hit) word. I can assure you that THAT word has never before been in the same sentence with one of my songs! -billg-

emusic
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by emusic » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:53 am

Me likes

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:31 am

It's hysterical!!! Great!!

bc
Impressive
Impressive

Post by bc » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:56 am

Bill,don't let anyone talk you into any changes -- this is real soul work you did. It will get lot's tv/film forwards when the the listing matches your content. Excellent work, top to bottom.bc

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by billg » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:08 am

bc, thanks! what kind of listings do you think it would be good for?? The problem with this song is the same as with most of my stuff in that it seems pretty "narrow." For a million bucks I wouldn't be able to tell someone (or be able to identify) a genre. I did submit it (pending) for the "fun, funky backyard bar-b que" (or something like that) listing but figured it was a stretch. Any input? thanks again