Suggestion: $10 Prime Submission with 2nd Chances

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Suggestion: $10 Prime Submission with 2nd Chances

Post by ttully » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:34 am

Hey Tom,

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Tim

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jaywilliams » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

I think the general idea is to use the screeners' feedback to make your tracks as strong as they can be - meaning as "licensable" as they can be.

Along the way you will build up a catalog of tracks that you can submit the next time a similar listing rolls around, or when you have enough of them you can also shop them directly to libraries.

The deadlines for these listings are pretty tight to begin with, and as I've heard ML refer to the screening fees as "discouragement" fees I think creating a 2nd option at whatever price point would only cause confusion.

Interesting idea though!
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 pm

I dont understand, more expensive submissions is a solution to what problem?
Ceo of my own life

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:22 pm

.... and then all those who paid extra for this would grumble even more. The first screening would have to identify absolutely every flaw, otherwise they'd correct only what was mentioned but might still not get a forward because of something else that wasn't. If you were in the driving seat, would you take this on? Besides, asking for a second chance sounds like some X-Factor contestant and isn't cool :).
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:11 pm

Some folks make 6 figures on nothing but urban dramedy cues, surely there will be listings for 'similar enough' cues that your improved version can be submitted to?

Sorry about the Medieval lute music cue, Tom. Maybe not so many listings for them... :lol:

SubRivers
Impressive
Impressive

Post by SubRivers » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Most of the time another similar listing comes along soon as the second chance.
When that doesn't happen it will be with rare unusually specific listings (e.g. British busker)

So most of the 2nd dibs focus will be on the one off high value listings - the very listings that the client are least likely to entertain 2nd dibs offerings.

It would be a mare

There are no 2nd chances on the same pitch anywhere I have seen in music (or anywhere else tbh)

Your 2nd chance is another pitch

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:00 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:44 pm
Kolstad wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:40 pm
I dont understand, more expensive submissions is a solution to what problem?
Pay more, get screened early, get a second shot.

For those who can afford it and feel they often get an "almost forward".
There will come similar listings, that’s your second chance.
Ceo of my own life

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:08 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:04 am
Kolstad wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:00 am
There will come similar listings, that’s your second chance.
Have been waiting three years for a Medieval Instrumental now. :)

Let's see when the next British Busker comes along. People seem to have put a lot of work into that.
But that's life! Everything is a risk. From a business perspective, choosing to put a lot of work into something with little chance of it paying off might not be a good choice. From a learning perspective it could be quite valuable. As always, you win some, you lose some, but I don't think that trying to 'tweak' the system is the answer. Choose wisely where you spend your time based on what you want to get back for your your efforts.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

regardner
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by regardner » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:16 am

I think the idea is a great one. I--probably like many members-- have had similar thoughts.

I recently had a return with the screener's note that it was a "near miss." A note like that is both encouraging and frustrating at the same time.

Perhaps a tweak of the OP's idea would be that instead of having a second type of entry fee, a second chance could be granted at the screener's discretion for a track that the screener believes is truly on the verge of being on target for the listing. The screener could offer the member a chance to make revisions, the chance granted for an additional fee. This would eliminate the objection that another commenter raised: That a screener would be on the hook to identify every flaw in every submission. Instead, on a track that is truly on the verge, the screener would only have to identify the one or two things wrong, because if the track is truly close, there will likely not be more than one or two things wrong.

I also do not agree that second chances are somehow unknown outside of this conversation thread. I recently signed a track to a library after submitting to the library directly. In this case, the library sent me an email suggesting a handful of revisions that would make the track suitable. I made the revisions and the library signed the track. Absent the chance to make revisions, the track would have been rejected.

Indeed, it would seem to me to be Taxi's benefit to be able to forward more material without compromising the quality of the forwards.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:06 am

regardner wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:16 am
I think the idea is a great one. I--probably like many members-- have had similar thoughts.

I recently had a return with the screener's note that it was a "near miss." A note like that is both encouraging and frustrating at the same time.

Perhaps a tweak of the OP's idea would be that instead of having a second type of entry fee, a second chance could be granted at the screener's discretion for a track that the screener believes is truly on the verge of being on target for the listing. The screener could offer the member a chance to make revisions, the chance granted for an additional fee. This would eliminate the objection that another commenter raised: That a screener would be on the hook to identify every flaw in every submission. Instead, on a track that is truly on the verge, the screener would only have to identify the one or two things wrong, because if the track is truly close, there will likely not be more than one or two things wrong.
If that was in place, how do we handle it? Do all listing submission dates get shortened by a week, to give every member a chance to re-submit before the "real" submission date? That hurts the composers that really need all the time they can get to complete a piece.
Is there a cutoff a week prior so that any subs made by that date get screened with feedback intended to 'fix' the track? Now the screener is responsible for assessing whether or not the Taxi member is capable of fixing the track. The members that don't get a chance to resubmit - only a return later - are likely in the group that are asking for these types of policy modifications. And they'll be doubly upset.
Would Taxi only offer the 'second chance' mechanism on listings that have a long lead time? Again, that leads to folks asking why they didn't get the second chance.
In any of these scenarios, the screeners are going to get hammered with more work. Membership fees and sub fees will have to go up. IMHO, that'll not be popular.
I also do not agree that second chances are somehow unknown outside of this conversation thread. I recently signed a track to a library after submitting to the library directly. In this case, the library sent me an email suggesting a handful of revisions that would make the track suitable. I made the revisions and the library signed the track. Absent the chance to make revisions, the track would have been rejected.
I have no first-hand experience negotiating with music libraries :oops: but in the industries I'm familiar with (my day job is as a controls engineer for an OEM of glass-manufacturing equipment), the client's project manager (by whatever title) always wants a few concessions from their vendor before signing a contract. Rarely is the product so desirable as to be accepted as-is. They want it, but they want it 'just a bit better'.