Suggestions, please

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

smelterbox
Active
Active

Suggestions, please

Post by smelterbox » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:35 pm

Last week I submitted to a request that was asking for 80s/90s style (aka classic rock) cues.

While I did get some favorable feedback, what appears to have held up this submission from being forwarded is that the "guitars and drums should be punched up."

What exactly are they asking for? Louder in the mix? A different EQ setting for each?

I would enjoy hearing back from anyone that would be willing to listen. Thanks.

https://www.taxi.com/members/TvY0SeWiTj ... ss-the-sun

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Suggestions, please

Post by Casey H » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 pm

Cool track. Not my area of expertise as I'm more pure songwriter, so grain of salt... The drums sound rather "thin" to me compared to classic rock acts. Listen to the reference tracks and other similar style songs of the era. The guitars sound pretty good to me, maybe others can make suggestions there.

Nice work. Wouldn't take much to get it to the next level. :D

Casey

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:41 am

Nice work, and I agree with Casey that the track isn't far off. What I get is a sense of overly fizzy guitars that are fatiguing to listen to (too much around 3-5kHz), particularly in the early guitars, not so much in the leads. If that fizz was backed-off a bit (EQ or dynamic EQ or DeEss) then you could lift some of their lower mids a hint to beef up their sounds. I also sense the drums sounding nice and clicky but missing some meat in their lows (but then you might have tweak the bass guitar so it matches the kick). Overall, I reckon a bit of remixing with more focus on getting a similar sound to the reference tracks should be all that's needed, and if you're A-B ing with those refs you should soon be good to go. Just my thoughts though.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

smelterbox
Active
Active

Post by smelterbox » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:33 pm

Awesome. Thanks guys. :D

nicotina
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nicotina » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 pm

There is a squealing guitar string sliding sound in the first verse where I would expect a guitar lead. Maybe that is the lead, in which case maybe it needs to be turned up? The rhythm guitars sound plenty punchy to me, but lead guitars and drums maybe need to scream just as much. Take it with a grain of salt, considering I am a piano jazz guy. But I do like a crunchy rock instrumental.