Superior Drummer 2

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Superior Drummer 2

Post by Kolstad » Tue May 18, 2010 5:21 am

mazz wrote:I'm working on a Muzak piece and I will be using SD Music City expansion brushes kit. About as far from rock and metal as you can get!
Oh yeah, I've looked on that one. I have the Nashville expansion to EZ, and that's my go-to kit, even in SD! What's your take on that new expansion, Mazz?
Ceo of my own life

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue May 18, 2010 10:35 am

When you order the expansion, they give you a 1.5G download and send you the rest of the files on a DVD. I haven't received the DVD yet. But they do give you a complete drum kit in the download and it sounds excellent.

One of the things I really like about Superior Drummer is that they really care about the room the drums are recorded in and they care about capturing that room. Drums in particular are very influenced by the room and it's part of the sound of the instrument, IMO. The room they recorded this in, The Sound Kitchen, is a big room but the reverb is controlled, which makes for a nice big, but very warm, sound. It's the same room as the EZ Nashville Expansion, but Superior allows you to dial in even more or less of the room than in EZ Drummer.

For my Muzak piece, I'll be favoring the overheads and the room and downplaying the individual mics, because stylistically, it's more accurate, at least to my ears. In the days when that music was recorded, they probably didn't mic each drum, it was more of a room sound.

There's some excellent videos on the ToonTrack website on the recording of the Music City expansion.

Good stuff!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Tue May 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks Mazz! Yeah, I think the Music City expansion is a must have for me, so I'll go there, even if I have a lot of options for drums now, and being a little worn of constant research and upgrades. I do load the EZ Nashville kit in SD2, and work with that from there, but I guess it's still 16bit samples at the root, and to me that makes a lot of difference with the Toontrack samples in particular.
Ceo of my own life