Surprised by this return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Surprised by this return

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:55 am

I'm open to criticism, but was a bit surprised that this track was returned for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR ... nding-road

I used "Backpush" by Diamond Thug as my reference since it was the first one listed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwO0-DljEw

I thought my cue was pretty on-target, however the reviewer said the approach could share more common ground with songs like "The Hardest Cut" by Spoon.

Here's the full critique:

What I like most about this song
Good base progression idea and well balanced mix.

I think you could improve this song by
The general style could possess more current alt/indie rock flavor. I think the cue is well executed, but approach could share more common ground with songs like "The Hardest Cut" by Spoon.

I returned or forwarded this song because
The writing/production style could be more on point with the ref material and requested genre.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Doug

Several ALTERNATIVE/INDIE ROCK INSTRUMENTALS and/or INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NEW International Music Licensing Company started by highly experienced, successful founders!

TAXI TIP: This Library is BRAND NEW to requesting music through TAXI, so chances are you don’t have any material in their catalog yet! This company is all about "new, fresh music," so this is a great opportunity to get in first and create a new outlet for your music and begin a new relationship with an awesome new company!

This Company is searching for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals/Cues in the general ballpark of these references:

WARNING: The references may include graphic and explicit lyrics. Listener discretion is advised.

"Backpush" by Diamond Thug: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmwO0-DljEw

"Blood In The Cut" by K.Flay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UISaT4Eh9CM

"Promises" by Beach Bunny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFQDssE693M

"The Hardest Cut" by Spoon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hko03cIwwCc

"All In My Head" by Whethan feat. grandson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ygyW2cZq4

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumentals and Instrumental Cues only!

Quoting the Company: "We are looking for greatly produced tracks with excellent performances that are representing the style and genre very well, while still staying within 'production music' rules. We are looking for music in a range of moods such as: energizing, emotional, inspiring, fun, and adventurous."

Please send super-fresh Indie/Alternative Rock Instrumentals/Cues with solid rhythms, memorable motifs, and plenty of great energy! Your submissions can range more towards the Alternative or Indie side of the Rock spectrum. Your production and instrumentation can range from pared down to fuller production styles, as well. Whichever approach you decide to take, your submissions should be polished, contemporary, and feature high-quality virtual instruments and samples – nothing dated will work for this pitch. We recommend sticking with one mood throughout your pieces so they remain cohesive.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This Company offers an Exclusive deal, and has a strong preference for signing material from songwriters who have worked for libraries and licensing companies in the past and understand how standard deals work. If you don't have that experience and you don't know the drill on typical deals, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request.

All submissions should be at least 1:45 minutes long and no longer than 2:45 minutes, with non-faded, buttoned endings. Do NOT copy the referenced examples in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split any upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control 100% of your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumentals and/or Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, January 27th, 2022. TAXI # S220127RR
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Surprised by this return

Post by Casey H » Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:59 am

We can't see the listing text at that link. Once a listing expires, only you can see it. However it can be found at https://www.taxi.com/past_listings
Can you post the full listing text and all the screener's comments?

:D Casey

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:05 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:59 am
We can't see the listing text at that link. Once a listing expires, only you can see it. However it can be found at https://www.taxi.com/past_listings
Can you post the full listing text and all the screener's comments?

Thanks, Casey - I'll update my posting.
Cheers!
Doug

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:20 pm

It's good cue. I think yours sounds more retro, maybe 80s, doesn't have as much of that contemporary indie feel. It's bit U2-ish. They were looking for "fresh, new music". But you can definitely place this cue in a library.

Best,

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:13 pm

Hi Doug, Great track, and I think Casey is spot on here. Its got more of a retro vibe than an indie vibe to me too (as well as U2 ;)). I also think he's right that you'll find a home for the track somewhere sooner or later, so its definitely been a worthwhile creation. Good luck with it further down the road.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

bioautomaton

Post by bioautomaton » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:50 pm

Hey Doug,
This is a great cue. I feel it fits the "Backpush" reference perfectly, although your production is better (the stereo spread on the toms are stellar). The bass and percussion are spot on and the reference has reverb drenched vocals which I feel was mimicked using your guitar lead. I think the Taxi cue submission process could benefit from a "Reference Focus" field especially when there is a wide range of references offered up for a request.
I feel your cue more than warranted a forward.
All the best,
Andrew

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:09 pm

Doug,
Well done cue! Definitely alternative. However, I do hear how it veers from the ref tracks that I listened to...
I A/B'd your track and Pushback a few times before I read the rest of the thread. I have to agree with Casey; your treatment of the supporting instruments sounded more 80s to my ears. Then I listened to the spoon track, and while I certainly can't know what the screener meant by their comments, I can hear that the guitars (supporting elements) closely mimic the bass or provide a backing texture - as opposed to the countermelody treatment you gave in your track.

Maybe in the screener's mind the genre has fewer independent elements; your track actually has more going on than they expected? That's all I got ;)

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Casey H wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:20 pm
It's good cue. I think yours sounds more retro, maybe 80s, doesn't have as much of that contemporary indie feel. It's bit U2-ish. They were looking for "fresh, new music". But you can definitely place this cue in a library.

Best,
Hey Casey, thanks for listening and your encouragement!. I'm really working to match the references more closely and the more feedback I can get the better!

Thanks again,
Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:19 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:13 pm
Hi Doug, Great track, and I think Casey is spot on here. Its got more of a retro vibe than an indie vibe to me too (as well as U2 ;)). I also think he's right that you'll find a home for the track somewhere sooner or later, so its definitely been a worthwhile creation. Good luck with it further down the road.

Thanks for your feedback on this, and your positive encouragement! Will definitely hang on to this for a future listing then. Cheers! Doug

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:23 pm

bioautomaton wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:50 pm
Hey Doug,
This is a great cue. I feel it fits the "Backpush" reference perfectly, although your production is better (the stereo spread on the toms are stellar). The bass and percussion are spot on and the reference has reverb drenched vocals which I feel was mimicked using your guitar lead. I think the Taxi cue submission process could benefit from a "Reference Focus" field especially when there is a wide range of references offered up for a request.
I feel your cue more than warranted a forward.
All the best,
Andrew

Hey Andrew, I really appreciate your listening and thoughtful comments! I felt like the screener did not compare my track to the Diamond Thug reference, based on their comments. Oh well, I'll hang on to this and hopefully another similar listing will pop up!

Thanks again,
Doug