We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Swamp Rock Feedback Please

Post by DBarnett » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:29 pm

Howdy Taxi peeps,
I would like any feedback for this on this listing please. As usual your input has been very valuable to me, Thank you

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

Swamp People (from 0:10 to 0:30) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UQz_JJnzYQ&t=9s

"Moonshine & Gasoline" by Blues Saraceno https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74lqoqUMhec

Duck Dynasty (from 13:49 to 14:14) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0k1v3BdlE&t=828s

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit top-notch Swamp Rock Instrumental Cues with twangy guitar riffs, great rhythms, and a healthy dose of Southern charm. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated. The more your pieces sound like they're being performed by real musicians playing real instruments, the better!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Swamp Rock Feedback Please

Post by funsongs » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Sounds like it's dialed right in to fit on a playlist with those ref tracks.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Post by johnnyrowing » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:19 pm

Dave,
It sounds great to me. It feels soulful - authentic - organic. Well mixed and nice variations - forward momentum.

I have this question on your cue . . . and I have been struggling with this on my own cue writing too.

When I look for edit points in your cue . . . I see one "fairly obvious" edit point at about :49. So, here is the thought for you and also a question that I have generally speaking about edit points.

[highlight]Would it be better to give a quick staccato hit on the guitar rather than perform a strum that naturally decays (similar to your ending)? [/highlight]

If we choose those staccato hits . . . it would clear out the edit point in a more discernable fashion (VERY obvious rather than "fairly" obvious). It also would make it very easy for the music editor to select that as an alternate ending without any real work. When we decay (along with the slow fade of our crashes, etc.) . . . and then also add in pick-up drums over that decay doesn't that make it hard for the music editor to really cut this as an alternate ending/edit point?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this . . . and other folks on the board too. Again, this has been in my mind when crafting my own cues.

It is such a great track. I hope you get a forward and contact out of it.

Best wishes,
Johnny

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:36 pm

johnnyrowing wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:19 pm
Dave,
It sounds great to me. It feels soulful - authentic - organic. Well mixed and nice variations - forward momentum.

I have this question on your cue . . . and I have been struggling with this on my own cue writing too.

When I look for edit points in your cue . . . I see one "fairly obvious" edit point at about :49. So, here is the thought for you and also a question that I have generally speaking about edit points.

[highlight]Would it be better to give a quick staccato hit on the guitar rather than perform a strum that naturally decays (similar to your ending)? [/highlight]

If we choose those staccato hits . . . it would clear out the edit point in a more discernable fashion (VERY obvious rather than "fairly" obvious). It also would make it very easy for the music editor to select that as an alternate ending without any real work. When we decay (along with the slow fade of our crashes, etc.) . . . and then also add in pick-up drums over that decay doesn't that make it hard for the music editor to really cut this as an alternate ending/edit point?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this . . . and other folks on the board too. Again, this has been in my mind when crafting my own cues.

It is such a great track. I hope you get a forward and contact out of it.

Best wishes,
Johnny
Hi Johnny,
Good question! I have wondered the exact same thing
I would think that staccato would work great if you can make it musical but like you said it's kind of a "fake" ending
I find it hard to keep the flow going with staccato type edit points
I'm going with the idea that a natural fade/rest gives an editor the way in and out, a quick slight of hand so to speak
I would like to hear from someone who has experience and can generally outline what constitutes an "edit point"
Thanks for the compliments :D
I'm kind of worried that a screener will assess that the intro is :20 sec long and that it takes to long to get to the meat of the cue.....?????

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:46 pm

Man... I feel like I'm the one who usually points out (complains?) that an Intro is too long...
BUT - for this as a cue, until you questioned it, it didn't hit me that way at all.
IMHO - I hear it as an option/edit point... should a less-busy part like that be all they want, or gets used.
How many times is it that the simplest part is what works best - say, under dialog?

2 pennies more.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:18 pm

funsongs wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:46 pm
Man... I feel like I'm the one who usually points out (complains?) that an Intro is too long...
BUT - for this as a cue, until you questioned it, it didn't hit me that way at all.
IMHO - I hear it as an option/edit point... should a less-busy part like that be all they want, or gets used.
How many times is it that the simplest part is what works best - say, under dialog?

2 pennies more.
Hey Peter,
I agree with all you said there, it wasn't until I uploaded the final mix that I thought "is that a long intro or could it be considered a build?"
If the mix is holding up I'll hope that the first :20 works
Thanks

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:30 am

Hi Dave, that's a really great electric guitar sound!
My thoughts are... skip the mando strums near the start (or at least thin them out), then brighten the mix a tad. At that I reckon you'd be good to go.

BUT....(and its a big one) the main electric guitar riff is almost exactly the same as the one featured in "Moonshine & Gasoline", and I'd be uncomfortable with that.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:42 am

Cool track, like the others said, very close sound match to the ref tracks!

I'd reconsider the drums. As it is, they're not really driving the song forward, actually more like holding it back... they're too dead-center on the mainline beat, like a metronome. (I don't really mean quantized, I mean the actual part played). The fill-ins are fine, but the main body could use a lift... maybe in the hihat rythm?

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:18 am

Thanks for the advice guys :D I will give this all my attention
Have a great and productive day