Swamp Rock Feedback Please :)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Swamp Rock Feedback Please :)

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 06, 2021 6:51 am

I decided to give this one a shot too and would appreciate your feedback before submitting if you please as I'm still not sure about some parts:)

https://soundcloud.com/user-981810763/m ... GGDpj1n4ad

LISTING

A Bunch of SWAMP ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by an extremely busy Music Library with a tremendously long list of killer placements in Hit TV Shows!

This Library is on the hunt for a bunch of Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that could be found on a playlist with the following references:

Swamp People (from 0:10 to 0:30)

"Moonshine & Gasoline" by Blues Saraceno

Duck Dynasty (from 13:49 to 14:14)

Although one of the references has vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit top-notch Swamp Rock Instrumental Cues with twangy guitar riffs, great rhythms, and a healthy dose of Southern charm. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and not dated. The more your pieces sound like they're being performed by real musicians playing real instruments, the better!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 2 minutes long, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are strongly recommended. Do NOT copy the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You’ll keep 100% of the Writer’s share and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is not already signed with other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Thursday, May 6th, 2021. TAXI # S210506WR
Last edited by OwenGrech on Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Swamp Rock Feedback Please :)

Post by Telefunkin » Thu May 06, 2021 7:07 am

Great stuff Owen! I'd have 3 little nit-picks:
- although I like the drum fills around the 1m mark they are a bit 'metal',
- there's a bit of jump in level from about 1:10 (check the Soundcloud waveform),
- the final slide note that echoes away seems a bit odd (almost like a quack) but at least that helps give it character.
You'd probably get away will all those things though even if you left them alone, so it'll make a good submission. Best of luck with it for another forward.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 06, 2021 7:32 am

Hey Telefunkin (cooool name btw:) )

Thanks a lot for your valuable feedback!

Re listening now ..... I have to agree with you regarding the Metal drum fills (my roots sometimes seem to pop up in weird places haha)
Good job noticing the jump in level as I did not notice it - I need to get into the habit of taking a break before rendering!
Yeah not sure about that quack:/ I am in the middle as sometimes I like it and sometimes I totally don't:) - Might turn it down in volume to be safe.

I will definitely give these suggestions a go before submitting so thanks once again for your feedback and well wishes.

tc
owen

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am

Overall sounds great, good groove/vibe. I feel like that drum break area is is a good opportunity to create an edit point or two where you would leave a quick break in the action so an editor can go in and easily grab a section to use.

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 06, 2021 8:01 am

Thanks eeoo,

That sounds like a good idea but to be honest with you I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept of edit points :)
What do you think is the best way to do it in this case, should I just do like a drum accent (just bass drum and cymbal) and let it ring?
What about the guitars, should I do the same (just a chord ringing) or keep the riff going in the background?

It seems to me that making a good edit point (making it useful without making it obvious) is an art in itself - which I am willing to learn by the way:)

Thanks again man!

owen

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu May 06, 2021 8:16 am

Cool Tune!
Re Edit Points:
Around 0:14 you could stop the drums on the long slide note, let the guitar ring for one measure, then jump back in
Do it again around the 1:10 mark
I've always been a fan of Pauses in music so edit points come easy for me
Cheers
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu May 06, 2021 8:20 am

P.S. You will have to do these EDITs a lot once your tune has been accepted
5 second stinger/15 second stinger/30 second edit/60 second edit
And in each case each cut needs to be 0.5 seconds shorter than stated (30 second edit is really a 29.5)
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

BradGray
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradGray » Thu May 06, 2021 8:25 am

I think it's a rockin' little track!

The only minor suggestion I have is to simplify the drum fills. They sound great, but pull you out of the great groove you have going there. A bit too much, in one or two spots, but other than that a rockin' lil swamp track!

Cheers,
Brad

OwenGrech
Impressive
Impressive

Post by OwenGrech » Thu May 06, 2021 9:38 am

I replaced the link with an updated version injected with all your feedback :) (I also slowed down the ending a little bit - hopefully it works!)

Thank you cassmcentee for those edit tips! I tried to put some of them in this updated version but I definitely have to study this subject a little more. Thanks so much for that!

Thank you BradGrey for your feedback! Yeah those drum fills in the middle definitely needed to go - hopefully it sounds better now :)

rgds
owen

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Thu May 06, 2021 11:32 am

Hi Owen You got some very good technical advice already. I am not capable of that kind of breakdown :) My gut feeling is that this gets forwarded. Can't fault anything.
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613